Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distributor Shaft Play
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lawrence
I had my distributor out last night, and was checking play, after I wiggled the rotor. I thought maybe I had some wear on the rotor, but the play was coming from the shaft.

How much play is too much, both up/down and left/right?

-Rusty
porsche735
Up and down is OK. Left and right is bad. You really shouldn't be able to jiggle it.

Chris
Bleyseng
It should be tight with no movement side to side. Nice smooth operation but up/down is ok.
Geoff
Mueller
Hey Rusty......

Throw away the dizzy smile.gif

DIY Distributorless Ignition
need4speed
Get a timing light. Run it and watch the strobe on your pully. If the timing mark doesn't sit still (varies by more than 3-5 degrees at any RPM), that's too much play.
airsix
QUOTE(need4speed @ Apr 15 2003, 10:44 AM)
Get a timing light. Run it and watch the strobe on your pully. If the timing mark doesn't sit still (varies by more than 3-5 degrees at any RPM), that's too much play.

My dizzy is pretty loose. Lots of timing wander. I put in a Crane optical pickup to replace the points and it's very steady now. Stays right on the mark all the way to redline.

Are we talking about your -4 or your -6 or you 9eleben?

-Ben M.
Lawrence
There is a tiny amount of movement. Can a distributor be rebushed like a throttle body?

-Rusty
Bleyseng
Of course, that's how they rebuild 'em.
Geoff
porsche735
I got mine done at this place:
http://www.philbingroup.com/rebuilt/specia...al_services.htm

They did very good work and it was only $60 shipped back to me!

Chris
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.