Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hydraulic clutch options - V8 and 915
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ewdysar
Hi guys,

I'm finally getting around to installing my 915 with Wevo sideshift into my Renegade conversion. I'd like to go with a hydraulic clutch setup. Anybody have a comprehensive list of parts? Will the 993 pedal cluster fit in the 914? Anybody use an annular throwout setup, like Wevo has for their racing clutches? Unfortunately, I believe that the Wevo piece doesn't have enough throw for the conversion clutch/pressure plate.

Thanks for your help...

Eric

PRS914-6
My conversion
Loser_Cruiser
Prs, I totally missed that on your build. Awesome.
RON S.
Eric,

I have converted/grafted the 964 slave unit to fit the 914 pedal cluster.
It was not a difficult adaption, and it has been working nicely on my 914/6 for over 5 years now with no issues or leakage. It has a smooth linear feel to it.

Here are some really old pics taken during the conversion. It did require re routing the throttle linkage and having a custom cable made. Which can cheaply be purchased from Pegasus Auto Racing.

Good Luck.

Ron
ewdysar
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Apr 25 2011, 04:59 AM) *

Thanks for the responses so far. From what I've seen, I'm leaning towards what PRS914-6 did for his setup.

I'm still wondering if anyone has put a 993 cluster in a 914 yet....

Eric
rohar
QUOTE(ewdysar @ Apr 26 2011, 09:02 AM) *

QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Apr 25 2011, 04:59 AM) *

Thanks for the responses so far. From what I've seen, I'm leaning towards what PRS914-6 did for his setup.

Eric

I'm pretty sure the Neo914 used a 993 cluster. Since the master is virtually the same for the 993 and the Audi unit, I've been looking at both solutions pretty close. I'm thinking I'll probably end up with a variant of what PRS914-6 did.
Andyrew
I think im going to install a master cylinder from a 95 civic. Its $25 new, 3/4" and looks very similar to whats posted above.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Dur...ier=541722_0_0_

I might try and make the stock slave cylinder work as well, but that is going to be more difficult. $11...

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Dur...ier=227997_0_0_

If they ever break, they are available at any parts store.

PRS914-6
A few things to keep in mind......

1. There is not much room to mount a clutch and brake master cylinder side by side where each one mounts with a flange horizontally. One of the reasons I went with a vertical mount. Check the dimensions prior to purchase.

2. Check the stroke and make sure the cylinder is long enough

3. My slave is a "pull style" meaning when I push on the peddle, the rod RETRACTS. Not much room to mount on the other side on a 915 to use a push style slave. It pulls from the same direction that a cable would.

4. Make sure the slave and master are the same size diameter. Using the same diameter equates to the same movement as a cable would 1:1
ewdysar
QUOTE(rohar @ Apr 26 2011, 09:29 AM) *

QUOTE(ewdysar @ Apr 26 2011, 09:02 AM) *

Eric

I'm pretty sure the Neo914 used a 993 cluster. Since the master is virtually the same for the 993 and the Audi unit, I've been looking at both solutions pretty close. I'm thinking I'll probably end up with a variant of what PRS914-6 did.

So after reading lots of the Neo914 threads, I believe that answer is that the 993 cluster will not work in the 914 (at least Neo didn't make it work). The 964 cylinder can be grafted into the cluster, but it lives inside the cabin. I'm still headed towards the PRS914-6 solution...
rohar
It's been too long since I read those threads. My apologies for being a bit off. I'm gonna attempt something similar with an audi master (same geometry as the later P car cyls) shortly. My biggest concern is getting the throw on the bellcrank right as I'm trying to hook up to a stock audi tranny. We'll see as soon as I'm done with the motor mounts...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.