Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 axles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gary
Hi Brad,

Thanks for starting this forum. There was a thread a while back on the PP forum about using 911 axles and stubs on the 914.
Did you ever get a chance to check the year on the 911 axles that fit? My axles apparently have given up the ghost, so I'm looking for the right ones. Right now I'm running the early 911 stubs with 914 axles and adapters for the stubs. Pelican lists two flavors of early 911 axles: 65-68 or 69-73. The 65-68 are the Lobro CVs, but you thought maybe the later ones?

TIA, Gary
Brad Roberts
Gary,

it is the later 69-73 axles. You will need the 69-73 901 output flanges for the tranny also. I really need to get pics of this for everybody.

B
Jeroen
Write a tech-article for the site while you're at it biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Jeroen
914Timo
Yes, write a tech-article Brad. clap56.gif

VW bus axles are 475 mm long. I think 914 axles are 500 mm long from end to end.

Timo
Jeroen
hey timo,

welcome a board!

cheers,

Jeroen
Brad Roberts
Let me put that on my list of things to do.

I know it needs to be done (badly)

I'm almost caught up with last years list.

B
echocanyons
I am also in the process of doing this.
What is the output flange is that the drive shaft that is on the outer end of the cv that attaches to the hub?
Also where can you buy CV joints that arent so expensive?
echocanyons
Alright I got it output flange on the trans.
echocanyons
I cannot recall but was it determined that a spacer was needed to make up for the shorter 911 axels?
Brad Roberts
We have raced the cars for years without the spacers. The CV's are larger and therefore have more "play" in them than the narrower 914 and BUS CV's.

The can handle for angle.

B
echocanyons
is this the output flange?
echocanyons
???
Gint
That is in fact a transaxle output flange.
echocanyons
This is a 911 flange so whats the difference between the 914 flanges?
I assume its the CV bolt pattern
Brad Roberts
The 914 is tiny compared to that one. The one pictured is the same size as the 930 Turbo output flange. The only difference is 6 bolts and no pins for the 930. The early 911 CV that fits that is EXACTLY the same CV as the 930 Turbo (except it uses 4 bolts and 2 pins.

NOW: I have found out (the hard way) Porsche had 2 different output flanges for the 911/901 box. One is slightly longer than the other.

The one pictured slips right into all 914/901's including the limited slip diff.

No shit.. I pulled these flanges today to get pics for you guys... you saved me the time. I'll see if I can show you the stub axle (later today)

B
echocanyons
Would these output flanges fit a 915 as well or are they totally different?
Brad Roberts
They dont even resemble the 915 output flanges. Nor do the stub axles.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.