Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel stud dimensions - machinig question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
hey guys, what is the final hole size that is needed to be drilled for the press in wheel studs in the hub? also, what is the size of the most rear part of the stud (the size i need to spotface)

thanks guys!
Aaron Cox
also, anyone know the thickness of the hub off hand? how much i need to spotface to get it to 5mm?

thanks a bunch guys!
Matt Romanowski
I actually need this info too. Does anybody have all the info? I need the bolt circle, size through hole, and counterbore depth.

Thanks,

Matt
Eric_Shea
The thickness of the hub varies. The surface by the edge being the thinnest (obviously). The measurements I took were off a 911 hub so the studs (911 studs) being pressed in would match.

911 boss = 8mm thick
Spot faced 914 hub = 5mm thick

You'll need to take off 2mm or simply spot it until you see the outside edge begin to cut in.

My guy spot faced the one used boss to 8mm and then made 3mm ring spacers/bosses to bring the remaining 4 holes up to 8mm (search the thread here). Most people spot face them (original boss and all) down to 5mm and leave it at that. I'm more than certain that would be fine.

"Standard" 911 studs measure 45mm (50mm loa) x 14mm. Holes should be 13mm.
brant
I would add:

Measure the studs you are going to use.
I once had a set of hubs drilled, and then when I put my aftermarket- longer studs into them, the shoulders were a fraction different than the stock studs (same threads -same nuts fit)...

anyways the long studs were loose and spun in the hub, where as stock ones were tight...

point is.. measure the diameter of the shoulder of the studs you intend to use so that they fit tight

brant
Eric_Shea
I agree with Brant. Best to measure what you have.

Also, I forgot to answer your question about the stud head size: The Verbus (factory) studs have a 20mm head. You'll want to spot face your seats to 20mm.

Again. Get what you need and measure them.
Aaron Cox
sweet! thanks guys. i dont currently have studs in hand. and i have access to a cnc machine for about another week. Matt R wrote the mastercam program for me and were gonna run 4 hubs through the machine.
Aaron Cox
also, is it okay to use 50mm studs instead of 45mm. some places no longer stock the 45mm's. anyone know of a good place to get them?
Eric_Shea
Depends on what they mean by 50mm. Tip to tip? That's the proper length.
Aaron Cox
pelican lists 45mm as unavailable, so i assume that theyd have the correct measurement system, so can i go with their set of 50mm?
Aaron Cox
shoot, one more question eric,
what do i do about the one hole that is being reused, do i just ream out the threads/hole to the 13mm size?
MattR
If anyone wants this mastercam program when Im done for their own uses, feel free to PM me. I can send it in MC8 file format, or if you send me a post processor I can run if for you.
Eric_Shea
yes... but double check that size. I was just reading through the thread again and I'm thinking it should be 14mm on all 5. Drilling through the original effectively takes all the threads off so I'm thinking 14mm is what you need not 13.

Just ran out to the garage with the calipers...14mm.

Sorry for the confusion.
Aaron Cox
Eric thanks! youve helped me out a lot!
Mueller
Hey Eric, so have you pressed in the Verbus studs yet using the 14mm thru hole?

Is 14mm the magic number or should it be larger?
(cannot be smaller size it would be a little hard getting the threaded portion thru the hub, LOL)

Have you put a straight edge over the surface with the new studs pressed in? I've read that the hub surface can get distorted if the thru hole is too small and/or a small chamfer was not added to the thru holes before the stud is installed.

I'm keeping my car 4-lug, but I am converting it to studs instead of bolts since I am going to run a 12mm spacer in the rear and and a 25mm spacer in the front (both front and rear spacers will be hubcentric)
Eric_Shea
They're in. 14mm is the magic number. The studs measure 14.5mm in the toothed collar. I've heard of distortion but there was none on mine.
Mueller
thanks for the info smile.gif
Aaron Cox
update: still working on it. got studs....got hubs. should happen tommorow
Eric_Shea
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
arg...metal shop foreman is being a prick! i think im going to just use a 914/6 rear rotor as the template on a drill press. any objections?

Eric: where do you get those bosses on your hubs, mine look so thin in the area where the new studs go! maybe intersted in a set
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.