Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: -6 CV joint questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
maxwelj
I purchased some new '914-6' CV joints from a classified ad here on the board, and when I compared the new ones to the old, I found some "minor" differences. The biggest of those is that my original joints used two rolled pins and 4 allen bolts with a plate. The rolled pins are a bit larger diameter than the bolts. The new joints I received have 6 holes, all the same diameter, as if they might have used 6 allen bolts and no rolled pins. As I see it, I can remedy this problem in two ways: drill out two of the holes to accept the rolled pins, or get an adapter made that is the smaller diameter to fit into the cv joint, and the larger to fit into the flange and axle stub. I do have a drill press to accomplish the first option, but its probably older than I am, and I'm not sure how precise I can be with it.

Anybody got some advice on how to proceed?

Thanks
LvSteveH
Did you make sure the axle splines are the same? I'd hate to see you go through all that trouble and find out they didn't fit. As you probably already know, the 914-4 and 914-6 axles have different splines and slightly different CV's otherwise. For what it's worth, I have several sets of both 4 and 6 CV's and they all have the roll pin. I'd just drill out the CV to accept the roll pin. I doubt the drill press would be a problem as long as the bit doesn't wobble. Just enlarge the hole a little at a time using progressively larger bits; and you don't have to drill all the way through, just deep enough to accommodate the pin. Good Luck.

sawzall-smiley.gif

Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.