Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door switch removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cool914
Hi,
Trying to pull the wiring harness and can't figure out how to get at the wire on the door switch. I unscrewed the switch and tried to pull if forward but seems like the wire connections hang it up. Pushing the switch into the pillar and out through the hold in the footwell, no doesn't seem to push through. Yanking the wires off the spades, probably could do it but wondering how I would ever get them on again since you can't get your hand in that cavity.

I did a search but couldn't find anything but I am sure tons have done it. Help!

Also, while I am at it, can you remove the entire dash without having the glass out?

Thanks
IronHillRestorations
You take off the switch and attach a fish wire or string so you can pull the wires back through.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cool914 @ May 3 2011, 09:39 AM) *
Trying to pull the wiring harness and can't figure out how to get at the wire on the door switch. I unscrewed the switch and tried to pull if forward but seems like the wire connections hang it up.

You have to turn it. It's an awkward angle, but it will fit through ... smash.gif
jaxdream
Yes you can remove the dash with the windshield in place . There are 4 studs on the dash up towards the front that stick through the body into the front trunk area around the wiper assembly and the fresh air outlets , 10mm nuts . On the side of the dash after removal of the lower knee pad there are screws that hold the dash side to the brackets to body and there is a 10mm bolt that mounts on the bottom of the dash that bolts to the body ( this one is easy to find ) . To remove the dash ( metal frame ) you have to remove the upper dash pad , the fresh air controls , the lower knee pad, unbolt the steering column , let it drop or remove , any radios and such. The air outlets on the side usually can come out with the knee pad , thes are best to be removed also . The gauges and the mounting frame and the wiring that runs from under the dash and fuse tray , wiring that runs across the bottom to the right side if the dash to the door switch . The glove box is held in with a strp that bolts / screws on on side towards the center take that bolt / screw out and the fiber box portion drops out the bottom an d fold the strap up out of the way , leave the door mounted to the dash , no real need to remove it , unless you want to . This all can be done , just have to take your time and be patient .Be sure to take some pics and or draw some diagrams for the wiring , label stuff . To get the dash out after all this is done you can pry from under the front of ther dash on the inside where the studs are slowly to pop that area free, there are small rubber discs around the studs that cushion the dash to the body and after that it pretty much just piviots up and back to the rear free , and of course replacement is reversal of the aforementioned procedure. Good luck and be easy and it will come out .

Jack / Jaxdream
Cool914
Click to view attachmentGot them out, one just had to work out, the other needed to place a screwdriver in the notch in the switch and give it a tap with the hammer smash.gif
Cool914
comes outwardsClick to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.