Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Not all targa tops are the same
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
patssle
So I bought an extra targa top off Craigslist to experiment with LineX as a re-coating. It came out nice, so I'm going to use it.

Apparently the latches and tops are slightly different. As shown in the picture, my original latches do not latch, the handles hit the top. But the new one single one that came with the targa does work.

So I either need to make the old ones work or buy a 2nd latch of the "new" style.

Any thoughts?

Click to view attachment
windforfun
Your original latches don't appear to be stock. Also, the tops aren't always interchangeable from year-to-year.
Mike Bellis
agree.gif Your original handles are not original...
SirAndy
QUOTE(patssle @ May 4 2011, 04:20 PM) *
Apparently the latches and tops are slightly different

There are two versions of the tops. Early and late. Do a search here for a nice thread with lots of pics showing the differences.

However, your "original" latch appears to be just a one-off where someone either fixed a broken handle or cut the handles to add an additional loop.

shades.gif
patssle
Interesting. Well I reversed the handle on my "original" and it now works. All is good!
mgardstr
I didn't know there were two different tops. Will they interchange? I have 4 tops and I never looked to see if they were different.
Are there any pro/cons for using either version?
Krieger
Early is thinner and lighter.
patssle
On my "original" top, there is a slight 1/2" extrusion where the latches bolt on. On the replacement, it's all flat.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mgardstr @ May 4 2011, 05:29 PM) *
Will they interchange?

Yes, but they will leak as the seals are not going to seal correctly against the door glass.

Btw. i found the thread i was referring to by searching for "+early +top" ... Using the search is really not that hard guys ... rolleyes.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=73129

popcorn[1].gif Andy
Hammy
How's the Line X look?
patssle
It's pretty shiny in the sun, looks fantastic in the shade. I'm sure some won't like the shinyness, but I think it looks good. Plus I don't really drive with the top on when it's sunny!

I'll post some pics later.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 4 2011, 08:39 PM) *

Will they interchange?

Yes, but they will leak as the seals are not going to seal correctly against the door glass.
Andy

Mother F@@ker! I bet that is why the top I have seals so badly at theside windows.
And it's painted to match my car too.
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 5 2011, 09:43 AM) *

Will they interchange?

Andy

Mother F@@ker! I bet that is why the top I have seals so badly at theside windows.

Ok, another twist dry.gif

Early tub '71 with '74 doors and glass. Which top is going to fit correctly?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ May 5 2011, 10:50 AM) *
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 5 2011, 09:43 AM) *
Will they interchange?

Ok, another twist dry.gif

Early tub '71 with '74 doors and glass. Which top is going to fit correctly?

Late. The top needs to match the door glass. bye1.gif
sww914
Oh SHIT!
I have one early and 1 late door on my car. I guess it really is supposed to leak like that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.