Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sacrilege?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
enderw88
I have a line on an original -6 that has significant race mods, unoriginal engine and decent overall project starter condition. It is nowhere near a concourse edition car and my plans would include modifying from its current narrow body configuration to GT flares non-original paint color etc. Given that the car in its current form is pretty near what I would try to do with a 914-4 (converting to a 3.2 etc.) how much pennance would I have to pay to the gods of Porsche if I were to desecrate an original -6? FWIW the original engine is nowhere to be found and the interior is far from stock.
mepstein
Do it. driving.gif
moparrob
It's your car, so you should definitely enjoy it as you see fit.

The other alternative would be to sell it to someone who is interested in restoring it to original and using the proceeds to build/ buy a 914-6 GT tribute car (assuming there is a profit to be had in the transaction).

I am personally biased towards the GT tributes and wholly endorse the idea.

IPB Image

IPB Image
c12croft
headbang.gif No penance, unless you this it an odd coincidence to wake one day and find an untreatable flesh-eating bacteria chomping away at your groin legs. Nah, no such thing as 914 Kharma.
Even 914s have DNA. grouphug.gif
enderw88
QUOTE(moparrob @ May 7 2011, 05:09 PM) *

IPB Image

That's what I'm thinkin' about!
campbellcj
I would not heavily modify or cut a fairly original, restorable factory -6 at this point; however, since yours is already far from stock I would go for it and do whatever makes you happy!
carr914
I have no problem with it
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

I have mixed emotions, 1. Is it worth saving a orginal 6. Yes & No.

You could restore it to stock and put big 2.0 6 in it. You would have saved a

real 6 for posterity.

Or make your Gt-6 Clone, Flares, Big Tires, 3.6 engine. That Son of a Gun will

rotate the Earth under it's wheels.

I don't really know what I would do, but I know this if for some reason you

do not buy it let me know as I am looking for a new project. And I will have

to decide . Oh yeh I forgott ' "High my name is Dave and I am a 914 Addict"

Dave pray.gif confused24.gif slap.gif
Eric_Shea
I had the same asperations as you. I had an original six as well.

I restored it and sold it. I used to proceeds to purchase a really clean 74 tub to do "anything I damn well pleased" with.
stugray
It is not sacrilegious to add STEEL flares to a stock-6.

That is in fact exactly how some of the US GTs were made.
The factory could not keep up with the US demand for GTs, so they sent the premier racing teams kits that included a 914-6 and the "upgrade kit" to convert them to GTs.

They are still considered "real" GTs in most circles.

Stu
sixnotfour
pages of such,,
http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/other_porsche_9146gt_race_cars
RON S.
If you get it , it will be your car to do as you please.

I found my -6 left for dead on a used car lot a decade ago. It even had had the 6 swapped out for a 4cyl. blink.gif Go figure what my PO was thinking.

I basically bought a serial number and then decided WTH, I'll just rebuild it as a screaming beast.

See if you can spot anything stock on my 914/6.

Ron
Rusty
QUOTE(campbellcj @ May 7 2011, 11:09 PM) *

I would not heavily modify or cut a fairly original, restorable factory -6 at this point; however, since yours is already far from stock I would go for it and do whatever makes you happy!

+1

Do what makes you happy. You're not carving up a survivor.
nsr-jamie
Go for it! beerchug.gif
John
QUOTE(RON S. @ May 8 2011, 03:43 PM) *

If you get it , it will be your car to do as you please.

I found my -6 left for dead on a used car lot a decade ago. It even had had the 6 swapped out for a 4cyl. blink.gif Go figure what my PO was thinking.

I basically bought a serial number and then decided WTH, I'll just rebuild it as a screaming beast.

See if you can spot anything stock on my 914/6.

Ron

RonS, I have always liked your fenders. More so after I saw your transformation from fiberglass to steel. I wish I had the talent to do that to a set of steel flares I plan on installing one day.

sean_v8_914
it is yours to do as you please but...
worth more as original six so sell it to someone who sees thta value and finance your dream car
rick 918-S
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ May 9 2011, 10:23 AM) *

worth more as original six so sell it to someone who sees thta value and finance your dream car

agree.gif with Sean and Eric. Turn back time a little. sell it for the big bucks and mod a 4 cylinder car. But it's yours. biggrin.gif Enjoy it any way you like. Just don't put it out in the car port or a field to waste away. slap.gif
Elliot Cannon
Sacrilege? Porsche Gods? I thought religion was no longer a topic for discussion on this forum? av-943.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ May 9 2011, 11:23 AM) *

If it's not all origional - 3.2 engine, race mods, ect, it won't bring the big bucks and will cost you alot to make it origional. It will also cost alot to make a 4 into the car you want (I'm doing it right now) so I'm still of the opinion that you should take this car and do what you wish. Once your done enjoying the car, sell it to someone who wants a real # six and let them take it back to origional. If sixes are truely valuable, it will still be worth money in the future. - maybe a lot more smile.gif

markb
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 9 2011, 09:12 AM) *

QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ May 9 2011, 10:23 AM) *

agree.gif with Sean and Eric. Turn back time a little. sell it for the big bucks and mod a 4 cylinder car. But it's yours. biggrin.gif Enjoy it any way you like. Just don't put it out in the car port or a field to waste away. slap.gif

agree.gif
john grier
Do not desecrate an original six
Do not decreate an un abused four.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.