Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT:Busted by the city for my workshop :(
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Brad Smith
QUOTE(redshift @ Nov 4 2004, 07:12 PM)
I have at times, had a problem with loud rap music interupting my sleep.. say around 3am, so I bring out the big ammo once a year, when I get so pissed off I could spit blood.

200 watts of British tube amp trumps any old thing they can come up with, and everyone loves the Star Spangled Banner.

M

Hmm... guitars are great revenge... but with my bass I could (and have) knock the pictures off the walls in the apartment next to me. (Long ago, when I lived in an apartment that is.) "You like loud bass? I'll SHOW you loud bass!" ar15.gif

Brad
Trekkor
QUOTE(hargray2 @ Nov 4 2004, 07:00 PM)
waste of time and money
$85 bucks!!

What a joke.

$85 is nothing, compared to a red tag or stop work notice.
Tearing out work to comply is a huge bummer.

No matter how you feel about the whole process, it is the law and this is how your city generates revenue and acceses property values and taxes.

I play by the rules. That's why construction is expensive.

KT
neo914-6
Mike,
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
And your car too!
Felix
marinmcgreevy
The building department is there to ensure that the general public is living in safe and sanitary structures and the accessory structures are safe and sanitary as well. Be honest and up front, especially with the Inspector that comes to your house. Inspectors get nothing from grief from contractors and subs. If you are the owner builder you have a big advantage when dealing with both the Planning Department and the Building Department: They have to believe that what you build is more likely to be safe and add value in terms of highest and best use if you own the property.

*Know your local zoning regulations that apply to your parcel: get these from the Planning Dept
*Know what building codes apply (especially the year for seismic):get these from the Building Department
*Compare your structure to the applical zoning codes (set backs, etc..) There is a difference between structures that are for human occupancy and accessory structures. If you do not meet the zoning, you may be able to apply for a conditional use permit or a variance. Always go for the use permit as it means less to the Planning Department. For a Planning Dept to approve a variance it means that THEIR zoning specifications are not "good" and that they are poor planners. A conditional use permit means that you have a unique situation that the planning dept did not foresee and that they are doing a good job by approving the use permit.
*Compare your building for code compliance. Every inspector will have a different interpretation of building codes. Try and get the most experienced inspector. A more experienced inspector will be able to think "out of the box" and make a decision. This often is the older gentlemen at the building department counter. Go in and talk to him about what is not in compliance and how you should try and make it compliant. Make sure you are very prepared with your questions and have drawings to show.
*Be appreciative and nice. Both the Building Departments and Planning Departments are always being beat up. If you are nice and not combative they will help you and give you the benefit of the doubt. Show that you are honest and working hard to be compliant. Show them that you appreciate their effort to make your community a safer, healthier and a more beautiful place to live.

Good Luck!
dmenche914
I got an old record album, that is great to shake up the neighbors, it is a 1960 era stereo L.P., (That's Long Play too you kids) I think it is in quadraphonic sound, anyway it is high quality recordings of military weapons firing, various mahine guns, starting with a Civil War gatling gun, 50 cal. etc... Then it has jet aircraft taxing, and taking off, first jet fighters, then B-52's, like a whole bleepin squadron of them at once. It is toped off with bomb drops, with explosions from differnt bombs and missiles, along with the sound of the aircraft passing by the big one at the end is the actual recordings in stereo of A -bomb tests. Really a neat record, cool honest to God, Cold war era classic they don't make em like this any more. Official recordings by the United States Air Force and all. Crank it up and you got something.

Then again Ted Nuggent " playing "Strangle Hold" is an all time guitar screamer, and it is a fairly long song too, sounds best as an LP as CD's are just too clean, need them little pops and hisses. Crank it up and wake 'em up!
lapuwali
I got an old record album, that is great to shake up the neighbors, it is a 1960 era stereo L.P., (That's Long Play too you kids) I think it is in quadraphonic sound, anyway it is high quality recordings of military weapons

I can beat that. My father has a copy of an LP called "Sports Cars in Hi-Fi". Side one consists of recordings of various exotica being started, idling, and revved up: Ferrari 250TR, Jag D-Type, Cadillac Allard, etc. Side two is a full early 60s era sports car race at Riverside, from a single trackside microphone. It was listening to this as a wee lad that started me in the ability to tell engine layouts and firing orders from sound alone. Wonderful stuff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.