Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Friday Distraction TIME!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
dinomium
What is your Fave flick moments that revolves around autos??
I say it is when Delaney (Steve McQueen) rear ends the 911 at hits the wall in his 917 (he was distracted by a Ferrari 512 long tail exploding!) in "Le Mans". How did they do THAT? Real twisted metal, no CGI!
5 points for Porsche content
5 points for RACING flick
10 point Steve McQeen coolness
1 point Slow motion relpay
100 points 911 distruction (hehe)
so that is 21 kewl points and 100 points for distruction...
BTW Le Mans is the greatest racing flick of all TIME! pray.gif
URY914
I like the begining of the movie when he is driving through the town in the 911.

Cool smilie_flagge6.gif

Paul
tod914
Gumball Rally. There is a Jag sitting in a NYC garage, they try starting it and can't get it going ... "Well it sure is a handsome design."

Guess you meant moving... biggrin.gif
dinomium
no, that counts and it was HELLA FUNNY!
and raul julias' quote:
First rule of Italian driving, whats a behind you, no matters!" then he throws the rear view mirror over his shoulder...
Thank you for bring that flick to the party... Porcsche content, racing, and Gary Busey! lots of points everywhere!
bondo
No porsche content, but I love the chase scene in Bullitt (another Steve McQueen movie). Especially when the bad guy loses more than 4 hubcaps smile.gif

--Royce
djm914-6
many people don't care for the film, but I liked "No Mans Land"... actually I liked both versions, but the one I'm refering to here is the Porsche theft ring with Charlie Sheen.

Other car flick favs...
Smokey and the Bandit (only the 1st)
Cannonball Run (only the 1st)
The Wraith
Gumball Rally
LeMans
Banzai Runner (Love the truck seen)
Vanishing Point
Christine (Love the Fury)
Grand Prix (Don't know why I like JG films)
bondo
Oh, I also loved Gone in 60 Seconds (the new one, haven't seen the original). Can you tell I like Mustang fastbacks? smile.gif (I have a 67)

--Royce
URY914
Bullitt does have some VW content. They pass the same bug like four times during the chase. biggrin.gif

Paul
Chris H.
QUOTE(tod914 @ May 28 2004, 11:12 AM)
Gumball Rally.  There is a Jag sitting in a NYC garage, they try starting it and can't get it going  ...  "Well it sure is a handsome design."

Guess you meant moving...  :D

Hell yeah Tod, Gumball Rallye is awesome!

I love the Bullitt chase scene as well. There was a movie from the '80's that had Harry Hamlin in it that was pretty cool. Anyone remember the name? He drove a Speedster. Bunch of foreign auto mechanics that raced on Mulholland Drive all the time.

How about the Charlie Sheen/Anthony Edwards Porsche car thief ring flick? Again I do not remember the name. EDIT- That's it djm, No-Man's Land!
dinomium
The Harry Hamlin flick was "King of the Hill" and it was DB Sweeny in No Mans Land... IMDB dot com is a wonderful thing! I am good, but that site makes me a movie GAWD!
buhahahahaha!
Chris H.
QUOTE(dinomium @ May 28 2004, 11:52 AM)
The Harry Hamlin flick was "King of the Hill" and it was DB Sweeny in No Mans Land... IMDB dot com is a wonderful thing! I am good, but that site makes me a movie GAWD!
buhahahahaha!

Yes! King of the Hill! Saw that on HBO in the early '80's. Thanks. That was a nice flashback.
mike_the_man
One that I think is kind of cool is The Rock. The chase scene between the Hummer and the Ferrari is pretty cool. And anything with Sean Connery is good!
Meredith
Can you tell I like Mustang fastbacks?  (I have a 67)

I am totally and completely jealous.
dmenche914
The Blues Brothers car chase at end of movie. something like 100 car wrecked. funny too. (and no 914's wrecked, super bonus points!!!)
Elliot_Cannon
Check out a movie called "To Live and Die in L.A." Got to be the best chase ever. These guys get away by going the wrong way on the freeway. No special effects, just good stunt driving. It was also a pretty good movie with great cinematography. I think Willem Defoe was the bad guy.
Cheers, Elliot
dinomium
Yeah the Rock is GOOD!
How about the race between James Woods and Jeff Brigdes in "Against All Odds". Ferrari 308 vs Porsche 911 carrera cabrio in traffic mid day?? Good stuff there!
And any James Bond flik!!
SirAndy
QUOTE(dinomium @ May 28 2004, 10:04 AM)
What is your Fave flick moments that revolves around autos??

Movie: HEAVY METAL

Scene: when the mothership approaches earth and the guy gets in his spacesuit and jumps into his convertible, drives out the space-dock and slowly descents down towards earth, activates the heat shield and coasts down to land right next to his house.

priceless !!!

driving.gif Andy

PS.: of course, most of you are probably too young to know that movie. haha, it's a early '80s thing, you know ...
lapuwali
I've always thought it was a toss-up between Le Mans and Grand Prix as "best racing picture". Le Mans, at least, didn't try to tack on a hoky love story. But both had great racing sequences. Both were terrible as movies, but great as racing footage.

However, "best movie with cars prominently featured" is still the ORIGINAL _Italian Job_. Don't let the fact I have two Minis delude you into thinking I'm biased here....
Chris H.
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 28 2004, 12:08 PM)
Check out a movie called "To Live and Die in L.A." Got to be the best chase ever. These guys get away by going the wrong way on the freeway. No special effects, just good stunt driving. It was also a pretty good movie with great cinematography. I think Willem Defoe was the bad guy.
Cheers, Elliot

Not a chase scene, but a really funny scene in Planes, Trains and Automobiles is when they are driving the wrong way on the highway in that rented LeBaron with the wood paneling.

Concerned couple in the car across the median:

"You're going the WRONG WAY!!!!!"

John Candy:

"Uh huh, right... how do they know where we're going?"

Too much to recap, but they trashed that thing BAD!
dflesburg
When Herbie the Love Bug beats the Lambo...

That was the best! Any Herbie movie was great.

Worst movies of all time:

Corvette summer, King of the Hill, Any movie where rice wins - like Need for Speed, etc.
kafermeister
I would say that at the moment, my favorite chase scene is in the original Gone In 60 Seconds.

By the end of the 45 minute chase scene, the stolen Mustang is totally trashed. The thief (Maindrian Pace) notices an identical car at a car wash and 'trades' it for the trashed version. Then goes rolling out of the car wash while pinning the whole shebang on an unsuspecting car was manager. After getting directions from a cop, he rolls off delivering the last car.

There's more. That just my favorite off the top of my head. FWIW, I am also a closet fan of No Man's Land (Charlie Sheen).

Rick
red914
have to say that "le mans" gets more than just 10 points for steve mcqueen's coolness. and how 'bout those roostertails when the rain starts? i get a pucker just watching those turns at speed on wet road. egads!
URY914
RONKIN!!!!

Paul
kafermeister
agree.gif
thesey914
What!!!! no mention of "the fast and the furious"??????? ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

barf.gif pain30.gif icon8.gif
mike_the_man
Anybody remember CondorMan, when all of the 911 Turbos are chasing the Condor Mobile? Kinda cool. Pretty bad movie, but the I've always had a thing for 911 Turbos.
tat2dphreak
gone in 60 seconds (both the original and the remake) were GREAT car movies. lotsa eye candy!! probably 1 and 2 on my list of favoite car movies

the Bullit Chase scene is legendary! easily #3

the chase scene in Bad Boys 2 was fun to watch too!!

"crash" was interesting in a disturbing way
the only good car in "fast and furious" was destroyed because "vin" was scared to drive the fucker!

ferris bueller driving the ferarri...

one of the most meorable scenes involving a car though:
Movie: cool hand luke
Scene: the "crew" is digging ditches down a country road... onley one house on the whole damn road, and a very busty blond is washing her car, teasing those poor prisoners! great movie, great scene!
dinomium
wayne takes it to another level! YEA!
Paul Newman plus the blonde= Very Hot and Kewl at the same time! I also think the remake of the that scene with Liv Tyler in "One night at McCools" is right up there!
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(dinomium @ May 28 2004, 02:45 PM)
wayne takes it to another level! YEA!
Paul Newman plus the blonde= Very Hot and Kewl at the same time! I also think the remake of the that scene with Liv Tyler in "One night at McCools" is right up there!

I HATED that movie, but that scene was hilarious... washing a damn geo!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif
dinomium
I would also like to include the BMW "The Hire" seires... and the new Jerry Siendfield is pretty funny and Pcar content!
http://www.jerry.digisle.tv/room.html it is called Hinesight...
bondo
National Lampoon's Vacation! I hear jkeyzer is looking for a station wagon with 8 headlights! smile.gif

--Royce
seanery
My favorite car movies:

LeMans
GrandPrix
Bullit
Gone in 60 Seconds (original)

//Rant On

Why O Why, for the Love of God, don't we have GrandPrix available on DVD yet????? It makes no sense to me. LeMans finally came out last year. I know that GrandPrix was remastered. Speedvision showed it like 6 times in a row a couple years ago in it's remastered glory. I know Frankenheimer has passed, does that have something to do with this? I'm really irked if you can't tell.

//Rant Off
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(kafermeister @ May 28 2004, 11:35 AM)
I would say that at the moment, my favorite chase scene is in the original Gone In 60 Seconds.

By the end of the 45 minute chase scene, the stolen Mustang is totally trashed. The thief (Maindrian Pace) notices an identical car at a car wash and 'trades' it for the trashed version. Then goes rolling out of the car wash while pinning the whole shebang on an unsuspecting car was manager. After getting directions from a cop, he rolls off delivering the last car.

Rick

toss up between "original" gone in 60 and le mans. both great movies!
Elliot_Cannon
Grand Prix was a great movie but the cars were actually Formula II cars made to look like Formuila I with fake exhausts etc.
Cheers, Elliot
seanery
Garner & Frankenheimer did a behind the scenes about that. They were given like 30 minute sessions to film at the tracks. It sounded like Garner had a blast doing the movie.
URY914
Check this out...
URY914
page 1
URY914
URY914
URY914
page 4
URY914
page 5
URY914
pg 6
URY914
the end biggrin.gif

See the stuff you collect when you're old smile.gif
URY914
I'm sorta Grand Prix junkie. In addition to the PM article above, I also have an article that was in Road & Track in 1992. Another from SPORTS CARS INTERNATIONAL mag that also was run in '92.

But the most valuble is an original press kit souvenir book that is copyrighted in 1966. It has profiles of the actors, lists the real GP drivers, diagrams of the tracks and those rear behind the sceans photos.
Got be worth $250 to the right fan.

Paul
rhodyguy
2 movies. "vanishing point"."i want you to deliver this car for me". groovy hemi cuda. another with george c scott, "the driver" (i think). unassuming little sports car with a mystery lever. throw the lever and engage the blower. driving.gif. filmed in europe with some wild 2 lane coastal driving.

kevin
carreraguy
Without a doubt in my movie-loving mind, my favorite street driving scene is "Ronin". Followed closely by "Italian Job".
URY914
Ronin is underrated because few people have seen it.
But it does kick some ass.

Paul
Hawktel
Ronin.

Then all them other movies.
lagunero
Thelma & Louise, when they hold hands and drive over the cliff!!!!!!! laugh.gif
tod914
Ronin was great! The car chase going through the twistys was impressive. Well shot chase scene.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.