Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: On the road to the WCC
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
Pages: 1, 2
DNHunt
Just hitting the road. Gonna spend tonight in Eugene, OR, tomorrow night in Eureka, CA. Then Frisco.

54 degrees and showers with possible thunder showers. Can't wait to get out of here.

Dave
Mueller
Drive save !!!!!

See ya next week MDB2.gif
Eddie Williams
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 28 2004, 12:16 PM)
Drive save !!!!!

safe... even!!!
rick 918-S
Not too far behnd ya...I hope! Watch out for the other guy. MDB2.gif
Ferg
Drive safe!

Rich what route are you taking?

Ferg.
JeffBowlsby
Ummm...it actually rained here this morning...briefly....unseasonably....

It was just washing up the streets for our WCC... biggrin.gif

Nice and clean like....
VegasRacer
I got my info packet in the mail today. mueba.gif smilie_flagge6.gif
Registration confirmation, schedule, suggestions, activities, maps, etc.

All my big stuff is done. smash.gif blowtorch.gif
It seems like I have an endless list of little things yet to do to be ready.
See you all in less than a week. driving.gif chowtime.gif beerchug.gif
Jenny
This is really sad. I tossed and turned all last night. I was dreaming, but dreamed it was next thur instead of yesterday, and I was freaking out because my car wasn't ready, and also 'cause I knew I had to get up real early for all the events. I was afraid I would oversleep. I was relieved when I woke up this AM. Phew! It was a tiresome night! laugh.gif

Jen
mightyohm
We are getting close now... I can feel it! See you on Sunday Jenny. smile.gif
Jenny
Thanks Jeff!! pray.gif

Jen
seanery
Be Safe Dave and Enjoy WCC!!
rhodyguy
looks like a go-no go- is going. hoping caughing up again will work. leaving tues, stoping in arcata for 2 days. the canyon where the redwood hwy drops down to cresent city will be much more fun than driving in the jetta. what's the long range forecast?

kevin the fence sitter
DNHunt
Great news Kevin

We made it to Eugene 4. Car ran great. Left plenty of space so all the ricers loved me. Lots of room for them to squeeze their fart cans into the fast lane.

Found out about the Water Porsche. One thunder storm we were driving 35 on the interstate. Stuff's wet in the front trunk but I'm drying it out. Seems familiar for Memorial weekend in the NW.

Had dinner at a great Italian place in Eugene called Bepe & Gianni's. Couple of Mirror Pond Ales and great food helped the attitude. Turns out the sister in law had a 76 2.0l for about 10 years. She loved it but ran it out of oil and seazed it. The brother in law has a 930. She laughed like hell when I called the 930 a turbo tail dragger. Hard to have both the inlaws on my side.

Tomorrow the California coast

Dave
GWN7
Wrap the suitcases is garbage bags. Keeps everything nice and dry.
Carl
Have a good trip, Dave. See you next week.
rhodyguy
dave, i hope you haven't left yet. make sure you use the business by-pass at grants pass. like most roads in oregon, it's hard to find. redwood hwy through down town is a major pain. with the holiday traffic the redwood will be very sloooow. do you think you brought enough stuff?

kevin
Porsche Rescue
Kevin, since you are going to Arcata, do you plan to take the extra time and go over to Highway 1 for the drive south? The road from Leggett to Fort Bragg is probably the best sports car road I have ever been on (unless you get behind a camper or motorhome). All switch backs for 20 miles or so. I took that route in my 928 last fall when I drove to German Autofest. I went almost to SF before cutting east to 101 and the Golden Gate. Beautiful drive, but slow.
rhodyguy
jim, the drive down from arcata is the big question. i don't look forward to getting trapped in a bunch of traffic in the bay area. which ever way i go i'll try to time it so i miss peak traffic. prob just down 101. 1 on the way back might be nice. i may stop in arcata on the way home also. i have no time constraints. maybe some locals down south can point me in the right direction/s. perhaps a cut over to the 680 at some point? when i came home last winter i drove the 299 to redding. it was a fun road at 5 am in the mist. my son tells me the 96 north from willow creek is a beautiful drive. everything will depend on how the car is running.

kevin
looking forward to the "humbolt lag"
DNHunt
Made it to Eureka. Absolute great day. Car is running well.

When we got to the California border the sun came out and the lid came of. The car was beginning to feel really small so the fresh air was wonderful
DNHunt
lots of fun
DNHunt
They grow some REALLY big trees
DNHunt
REALLY, REALLY big trees.
DNHunt
Wonderful views of the coast
DNHunt
Got to Eureka in time for some fun in the surf. Gerry skimboarding.

Wish you all could be here

Dave
DNHunt
Oh ya, I keep running into people that say "I had one of those" 2 more today including a lady who sold me coffee in Cave Junction, OR. Her husband and her want to restore it. Turned her onto 914world.com

Dave
Jenny
Awww... you didn't drive your car thru the drive thru redwood tree?
Looks like you two are having a great time. Have a safe trip and see you thurs!

Jen
rhodyguy
did you get to tear up the canyon that drops down to cresent city or was it all motor homes? your car looks great dave!! with this trip you had better start saving for that out of state tuition when jerry deside to go to school in cal. biggrin.gif

kevin
DNHunt
Too many cars and too many cops. Watch out for the Oregon State Bulls using radar on the new bridge construstion in southern Oregon. Not sure why I got thru cause I was a dead duck. Must have gotten under the radar with all the stuff weighing the car down. Anyway they are hiding and catching people in the construction zones. In California there were a lot of CHIPs but at least they were fair.

Dave
boxstr
Dave thank you so much for the radar update. I am putting in a &^#%$(&*$(%)_ so I hope to be able to avoid any tickets which I don't want. Oh thats right I'm following Jim laugh.gif
CCLINSEEUINSJ
seanery
Dave, you are a very lucky man! Great trip and being able to share it with your boy is awesome.
Demick
Dave

Love your pics of your trip! Makes me want to take a road trip to California. Oh wait. I already live here. Oh well, you sure make it look fun!

See you on Friday.

Demick
neo914-6
Dave,
Nice shots, I drove up there in my boring Honda ~ 5 years ago. If you have time on your way back, check out Ferndale near Eureka. It's a nice undeveloped Victorian town where they shot "Outbreak". We honeymooned at the Gingerbread Mansion.
Felix
DNHunt
Great day today. Car's still running perfectly.

Found a great road, Highway 1. Plenty of curves, absolutely beautiful scenery. Couldn't have been better. Incidentally California has a neat deal with turnouts for passing so I had plenty of fun. The car handles like crap. I'm sure we're near capacity, so the car hardly turns in and acts like thereis no sway bar.

Dad's happy
DNHunt
Damn they grow some REALLY, REALLY, REALLY big trees
DNHunt
WE made it to San Francisco about 3pm. My wife and daughter flew in and we meet up at the hotel. Dinner was clam chowder in sourdough bread bowls at Fisherman's Wharf.

Dave
Korijo
sad2.gif
ChrisReale
Dave Hunt, where are you staying?
Jenny
So you drove thru the tree after all! Thanks for sharing your pics with us. And glad to hear you made it to SF safely.

Jen
Eric Taylor
Dam, I really wish I could have gone. That looks like such a cool trip. I suppose graduations is more important, but a lot of me want't to tell school to finger.gif and hop in the teener!
Eric
Curvie Roadlover
I like this pic wink.gif
DNHunt
Curvie

I thought tou would like that. It was undoubtedly the best driving road I have ever been on. I only got stuck behind a couple of other cars and they used the first turn out. Just turn after turn and beautiful scenery.

Chris

I'm at the Holiday Inn at Fisherman's Wharf room 449. We're heading down to HPH today if anyone is there so we can park the teener until Thursday. We're gonna check out Stanford then go to Malibu Gran Prix. We'll finish the afternoon at the Beach.

Dave

Here's a little California Cheese. We had to stop
DNHunt
Yesterday we did Lombard St. Curvie you gotta love this. Course every other tourist in the city was there, soI had to crawl down it.
DNHunt
The kids wanted some seat time so we went to Malibu Gran Pix. Here's Sarah. I told here whatever you do don't lift
DNHunt
Gerry in his cart
DNHunt
Been lookin for a new hobby if cars get too lame. What do you guys think about this as a possibility?

Dave
maf914
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Jun 1 2004, 04:19 AM)
Been lookin for a new hobby if cars get too lame. What do you guys think about this as a possibility?

Dave

Looks like a lot of fun.

By the way, a few years ago, didn't former Ferrari driver Didier Peroni stuff a hang glider into a mountain, badly breaking his legs and other bones, bringing an end to his Formula 1 career? I don't know why that came to mind.

Mike
Bruce Allert
Dave, Liv'n vicariously thru you smilie_flagge24.gif Thanks for get'n these great pics.... Gerry, you have fun too & take more of yer great pics of yer Dad wavey.gif

.......b
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Jun 1 2004, 07:10 AM)
Yesterday we did Lombard St. Curvie you gotta love this. Course every other tourist in the city was there, soI had to crawl down it.

Done it in a Subaru. That's a little TOO curvie, if that's possible. wacko.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Bruce Allert @ Jun 1 2004, 05:13 AM)
Dave, Liv'n vicariously thru you smilie_flagge24.gif Thanks for get'n these great pics....

agree.gif
Mueller
I wish I had read this post earlier, I played hooky today from work and my wife and I went to Pier 39 today for lunch....I kept looking for you Dave...I even wore my 914club hat with the hopes of being seen smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.