Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gearshift stop plate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
luskesq
In replacing all of the bushings, ball cup, shift balls and spring guides on my '70 tailshifter, I noticed alot of wear in the stop plate. I want to rebuild it and need the dimension of the slot in the stop plate (the spring loaded plate inside the shifter) that the gearshift rod rides inside of that is shaped somewhat like an old fashioned keyhole. Don't need the size of the circle or the length of the slot but really need the width because that I would think would affect the amount of throw. Much appreciated.

Keith
McMark
15.25mm by my measurement.
luskesq
QUOTE(McMark @ May 12 2011, 08:57 AM) *

15.25mm by my measurement.

Boy, I really appreciate the info. Beginning to think I'd have to experiment (taking apart, reassembly, taking apart, reassembly, . . . until I found the proper width. Appreciate your time McMark!

Keith pray.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Put some weld in there, restore the damaged side to be parallel with the undamaged side. Grind/file it into shape. I'd use a MIG welder so I had a nice hard weld. There should be enough undamaged area to get a measurement. Look at the shaft of the shifter, too. Odds are, it'll need to be built up and restored with a grinder or file. The plate is available from the dealer. 901 424 017 00. $48.72 list. If I were doing this job, I'd buy a new one while I still could.

The Cap'n
kkid
I have just replaced with new one and did not see any improvement because the old one was still good. The width is 15.75mm by my measurement. You can take this over if you want.
luskesq
Thank you both Cap'n & KKid. I did as you suggested Cap'n but mine was so galled out I could only guess at the width. After reassembly it didn't appear that I had enough side-to-side range of motion, thus my question on width. Appreciate the part # and will probably pick one up inasmuch as all of the other shift components are new. The shift lever by the way didn't appear to have any noticeable wear.

Thanks again gentlemen.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.