Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Restoration Part Trois!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
william harris
So after a couple of weeks hiatus, I am at least back to some small efforts to move the job along. My local Porsche shop was willing to help me sand blast all of the suspension parts (and complete the disassembly). Well, here's what the bits and pieces look like after 23 hours in the blasting chamber (small parts blaster).
william harris
Remember, these parts were so grimy and basically coated in road grime and gunk. I think they cleaned up real good. The plan now is to tape up the bearing surfaces and take them all to the local powder coater. Will powder coat them gloss black.
william harris
My plan is to paint the underside of the car, no undercoating and a finely detailed and renewed suspension. I have also decided to go with Chris Foley's exhaust system and I am talking to Jake Raby about motor build using the new Kit Carlson system.
william harris
By the way, I should be posting pictures soon of a one owner 1970 914-6 that has recently come up for sale. I have been trying to run down this guy for a couple of weeks now.
william harris
Final note: my 914 enabler, partsman (parts manager at local Porsche dealer) was able to locate and obtain the last three trim tags (part PCG 701 105 00) in Germany. Well, they are in his possession now. One is mine, since I am doing a color change, I will stamp the tag with the new paint code. Two will be for sale. Interested? Excuse the bad photo, hard to get close up on such a small piece. These are blank.
william harris
Slightly better pic?
william harris
I guess not, well you know what this is, the tag/plate inside the door jam at the front, has the body number and paint code. Needed for that Porsche Parade restoration candidate. biggrin.gif
Korijo
QUOTE(william harris @ Jul 15 2004, 04:52 PM)
Two will be for sale. Interested? Excuse the bad photo, hard to get close up on such a small piece. These are blank.

smilie_rolli_1.gif I want One flag.gif smilie_rolli_1.gif
jandro62
i'm interested in the other one
partsman
I had to fly them out of Germany, so I will seel them for the abosolute cost to me: They had a list of $38.00 when they were available, when you factor in the cost of the Porsche air freight, they come in at $50. I know this might seem steep, but you'll NEVER see them new again. If either korijo or jandro62 are still interested, just pm me. Sorry the price is what it is, but I've got to cover the cost at least.

Eric
Doug Leggins
Great job cleaning the car up!

I have recently gone through a lot of this and can not imagine being able to do this level of clean-up/prep with out using a rotisserie. Soooo nice to be able to rotate the car into a position that allows access to the area being worked! The rotisserie also allowed the painter to do a great job of getting the paint in some otherwise very hard to get to places.

You're on the way to having one great 914!!!

Someone asked earlier in this post if there was a rotisserie in Southern Ohio available to use. I'm located in Nashville, IN - about 2 hours west of Cincinnati. I have a rotisserie available for use. Anyone in this area - let me know if you want use it.
william harris
Thanks for the kind words Doug. Like you, when my job is finished I will make the rotissiere available for other club members to use. biggrin.gif
hargray2
How did you go about getting the car to the stripper while on the rotisserie?

Did you just pull it up on an open trailer?
william harris
Dropped the car down on to a body dolly and then when delivered, used lift to reinstall. Don't think a car can be moved while still on rotissiere.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.