Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 140 rear springs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mrbubblehead
i just swapped my stock springs with a new set of weltmeister 140 springs this weekend. they are mounted on an old set of red koni which maybe wore out. but i gotta say im pretty dissapointed. i thought they would lower the rear end of my car some. but it didnt lower it a bit, it may even be raised a tad. i made sure that they are installed properly, with the coil ends in there little indents.

after a test drive around town i honestly dont think they made much difference over the stock springs. what gives?

this week i will be re building my front end. elephant front bushings (to match the rears) 21mm torsion bars, and a 22mm tarret sway bar. i dont have the dough to buy new shocks or inserts yet. but i am planning on going with bilsteins.

so my questions are.... do the springs need time to settle? or is this my ride height?

is 140 a good spring rate to match my front setup?

how the hell do you guys get your cars to sit so low?
Mike Bellis
All coil springs settle. I use Bilstein rear shocks with adjustable height settings. I'm running 200# springs. Get the Yellow Bilsteins for the rear and you can adjust too.
tomeric914
Do your Koni's have adjustable spring perches? If not, then I'm not surprised that yours sits higher now.

There are two ways to lower it; get a set of shocks with adjustable perches (like Bilstein) or some screw adjustable perches for the shocks you have to get it low.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ May 15 2011, 05:24 PM) *

Do your Koni's have adjustable spring perches? If not, then I'm not surprised that yours sits higher now.

There are two ways to lower it; get a set of shocks with adjustable perches (like Bilstein) or some screw adjustable perches for the shocks you have to get it low.

do all bilstein rear shocks have adjustable perches? i have never seen add on "screw adjustable perches". do you have a link?

how can i tell if my konis have adjustable perches? is it obvious?
tomeric914
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ May 15 2011, 08:29 PM) *

It's obvious. There will be a series of recessed rings in the shock body spaced every 1/2" or so.

Here's a link to a nice setup. Be careful though, if these are early Koni's with the large diameter body, this may not work for you.

http://www.rebelracingproducts.com/Suspension/Steering.html

IPB Image
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ May 15 2011, 05:43 PM) *

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ May 15 2011, 08:29 PM) *

It's obvious. There will be a series of recessed rings in the shock body spaced every 1/2" or so.

Let me look for a link.

i checked my konis. they are non adjustable.
tomeric914
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ May 15 2011, 08:45 PM) *

i checked my konis. they are non adjustable.

Ok, see above, I just edited my post.

I'll probably get banned for this, but here is nice writeup on the different adjustable setups over on the "other" 914 site http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=115393
VaccaRabite
We don't ban folks for sharing knowledge. rolleyes.gif

Zach
Eric_Shea
Interesting suspension tune... 21mm torsion bars up front and 140lb springs in the rear. huh.gif

Your old springs were just that... old.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 15 2011, 06:16 PM) *

Interesting suspension tune... 21mm torsion bars up front and 140lb springs in the rear. huh.gif

Your old springs were just that... old.

yep....this was a recommendation from a fellow 914er. he said he has the same set up in his race car. confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif
avidfanjpl
I bought front and rear Bilstein sports, and the damn thing lowered 2 inches in the rear with Weltmeister 140's and after dropping the adjusters on the torsions in the front the car is so low with 50's all around that I cannot insert my hand vertically under the car.

My air deflectors underneath scrape even the lowest speed bumps unless I take them at a 45 degree angle, then they only rub a bit.

Damned if I know why it went so low, but ALL the components are new on the car.

The Rebel front A arm bushings go on this week.

Did you change the shocks when you did the springs?

J
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ May 16 2011, 12:43 AM) *

Did you change the shocks when you did the springs?

no new shocks yet. they will be next.

i ordered 180 springs.
sean_v8_914
140 IS too soft for 21mm torsions and 22mm bar. good call on teh 180s. that 22mm bar is very stiff. try it at full soft first.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ May 16 2011, 09:00 AM) *

140 IS too soft for 21mm torsions and 22mm bar. good call on teh 180s. that 22mm bar is very stiff. try it at full soft first.

i will try it at full soft. thanks for the advise sean.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.