Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Updated trunk rollers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eric9144
One of my trunk rollers exploded and I have the replacements in hand, thought the process would be pretty easy--push down the tortion rod and bingo, WRONG...those suckers are a b!tch!

What's the secret, I know someone's done these? How do I get the new rollers in place?
Dave_Darling
You can use a ~1/4" deep well socket and an extension to get leverage on the end of the torsion rod. Then you can slide the wheel into the right location.

They do pack a punch!

Don't use a box-end wrench as a lever. They can slip, and that can be very bad news for anything in the way of the torsion rod.

--DD
ellisor3
QUOTE(eric9144 @ May 15 2011, 11:34 PM) *

One of my trunk rollers exploded and I have the replacements in hand, thought the process would be pretty easy--push down the tortion rod and bingo, WRONG...those suckers are a b!tch!

What's the secret, I know someone's done these? How do I get the new rollers in place?

The easiest method I have seen and used it to take a piece of 2x4 roughly 8" long. Open the trunk fully. Stand the piece on end so that the vertical end is the 4". Wedge that between the tension arm and under the area where the rain tray would be. The wood will spread out the tension and not bend that area. Once it is wedged in place simply close the trunk lid and the tension arm will be held by the piece of wood. From there, simply slide the new roller on. I did this in about 2 minutes.
TheCabinetmaker
I agree with DD (hi Dave). 1/4" drive, 10mm deep socket and a 10" extension. Slip it over the end of the rod, push down, place new roller, release tension, done!
steveherman
QUOTE(vsg914 @ May 16 2011, 09:00 AM) *

I agree with DD (hi Dave). 1/4" drive, 10mm deep socket and a 10" extension. Slip it over the end of the rod, push down, place new roller, release tension, done!

I COULD NOT GET THIS WAY TO WORK FOR ME AND FEEL SAFE
So... here is what i did and what i used.
it took longer to cut the slot in the breaker bar than to replace the rollers.
i just slid the spring in the slot pushed the breaker bar forward and viola!!!

HOPE THIS HELPS!!!!!
I can not express enough how easy this was and how safe i felt doing it this way.

IPB Image
jaxdream
Some folks use the ring end of an adjustable wrench ( notch cut into the ring like a C to slide out ) to do this procedure , I have used the deep 10mm socket / extention with success , there are a few different ways to do it . Different ways work for different folks , as long as the mission is accomplished .

Jack / Jaxdream
eric9144
Thanks for the input guys, I'll take another crack at it this week...
underthetire
QUOTE(vsg914 @ May 16 2011, 06:00 AM) *

agree.gif
Took 3 minutes.
lsintampa
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 16 2011, 03:21 AM) *

You can use a ~1/4" deep well socket and an extension to get leverage on the end of the torsion rod. Then you can slide the wheel into the right location.

They do pack a punch!

Don't use a box-end wrench as a lever. They can slip, and that can be very bad news for anything in the way of the torsion rod.

--DD

OK, I'm gonna have to bite on this one. I'm trying to replace one exploded roller. I understand fitting a deep socket on the end, but by push down, I assume you mean towards the front or forward. The issue is that the extension ends up hitting the deck lid above where the roller needs to go. I can see that the grill end piece can be removed, but there still is a welded brace that goes across and blocks your forward motion.

SO, I'm either not understanding something or there must be some other way.

I totally don't understand the 2X4 method. The ring end of an adjustable wrench makes sense, but seems to me it would slip off before you got it far enough forward to place the roller on.

Very confusing. Anyone have pictures or a link that shows how you're doing this?

Thanks,

Len
saigon71
QUOTE(lsintampa @ Apr 15 2013, 04:17 PM) *

They do pack a punch!

--DD

OK, I'm gonna have to bite on this one. I'm trying to replace one exploded roller. I understand fitting a deep socket on the end, but by push down, I assume you mean towards the front or forward. The issue is that the extension ends up hitting the deck lid above where the roller needs to go. I can see that the grill end piece can be removed, but there still is a welded brace that goes across and blocks your forward motion.

I totally don't understand the 2X4 method. The ring end of an adjustable wrench makes sense, but seems to me it would slip off before you got it far enough forward to place the roller on.

Very confusing. Anyone have pictures or a link that shows how you're doing this?

Thanks,

Len

Len, I just used the 1/4" socket, 6" extension method. I wore gloves. Push down on the extension toward the floor to relieve the pressure on the roller (or lack thereof) and slide the new one on with a dab of grease.

Click to view attachment

lsintampa
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Apr 15 2013, 04:29 PM) *

QUOTE(lsintampa @ Apr 15 2013, 04:17 PM) *

They do pack a punch!

--DD

Thanks,

Len

Len, I just used the 1/4" socket, 6" extension method. I wore gloves. Push down on the extension toward the floor to relieve the pressure on the roller (or lack thereof) and slide the new one on with a dab of grease.

Click to view attachment

OK, I see how you got it into position. What I'm curious about is how you managed to get it past the welded brace that holds the side grill? The end of my bar is behind that brace.
saigon71
Sounds like the torsion bar slipped off completely and wedged itself under that piece. Never went through that. Can you post a pic?
dirk9141973
biggrin.gif this works great 3/8 socket bar grind open hole create slot
JmuRiz
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Apr 15 2013, 01:27 PM) *

Sounds like the torsion bar slipped off completely and wedged itself under that piece. Never went through that. Can you post a pic?

That's what mine is like too...my car is out getting worked on. Bar end is flat on the back-side of the trunk indent.
lsintampa
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Apr 15 2013, 05:27 PM) *

Sure enuf....

I think I need to lift the bend off the wheel well, then get some sort of tool around the bent part to push forward.

Click to view attachment
JmuRiz
Yep, that's just what mine looks like too...I'll let you know if I figure something out...I have yet to find something that works though.
lsintampa
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Apr 16 2013, 02:27 PM) *

Yep, that's just what mine looks like too...I'll let you know if I figure something out...I have yet to find something that works though.

I think it is a two step process...

1) use long socket and extension to lift the bar off of the wheel cover

2) slip second tool onto the bar that "was" resting on the wheel cover to push the thing forward

I think step two is using something that can slip over the bar from the side so you can slip it off once you have the roller on

CAREFUL though, if it slips off early, I imagine it can be an issue and cause some damage - either to you or the car - looks like fun.
rhodyguy
don't forget to open the open the lid and take the pressure off the small torsion springs first. you don't need to bury the socket on the springs, just enough to ensure purchase. with the trunk still open grab the socket with a set of vice grips and you should be able to tap/drive the socket off. don't forget to lube the pin the wheel goes on and the pivot for the trunk arm.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.