Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil pressure warning light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal

Summit has the Rebco and Longacre ones, which look to be the same.

Anyone using them now?

Is there something better?

I'd like something that is pretty bright, but maybe I just have to add a LCD light to the package.....
Chris Hamilton
Does your ECU have an input for oil pressure and a general output?

With some ECUs like the haltech you could input oil pressure and then output to a shift light on the dash, or just have the ECU shut the car off.
stewteral
QUOTE(Randal @ May 16 2011, 09:37 PM) *

Anyone using them now?

I'd like something that is pretty bright, but maybe I just have to add a LCD light to the package.....

Hey Randal,

For my V8 conversion, I re-designed the dash with all VDO gauges and used the dual-output sender for the oil pressure gauge with the extra trigger for a low-pressure warning light. For the emergency warming, I put a RED LED in the middle of the dash.

I only see the LED light come on with the ignition, before firing the engine, but it's
a great back-up if I were to miss the O.P. Gauge suddenly dropping. It's been working great for 8 years.

Terry
sww914
I've used a trucker's rear running light. You won't miss it. There's about a bazillion cool looking LED lights on ebay now.
Randal
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ May 17 2011, 09:19 AM) *

Does your ECU have an input for oil pressure and a general output?

With some ECUs like the haltech you could input oil pressure and then output to a shift light on the dash, or just have the ECU shut the car off.

You are probably right Chris and I'll check it out. I'd still have to have a sending unit as such so taking the first step and installing a conventional assembly.

I bought a Rebco unit from Summit, but don't know whether the light will be big enough. So heading down to our local trailer supply dealer to pick up an led tail light to mount somewhere I can see it.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Randal @ May 16 2011, 08:37 PM) *

Anyone using them now?

I got one of the longacre 1/2" ones from Summit and placed it on the dash near the top and just swapped leads from the stock one....it's plenty bright--the red one in the photo. The yellow one is high EGT--still learning where to put the setpoint on that, but that's another story...
Randal
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ May 22 2011, 06:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ May 16 2011, 08:37 PM) *

Anyone using them now?

I got one of the longacre 1/2" ones from Summit and placed it on the dash near the top and just swapped leads from the stock one....it's plenty bright--the red one in the photo. The yellow one is high EGT--still learning where to put the setpoint on that, but that's another story...

I think you've installed the same one I am buying.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/1105698.php

Whoo...it took some time to sort out which thermocouples to buy, but I think I finally got it right.

So is it hard to get a setpoint working?
wndsrfr
I think you've installed the same one I am buying.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/1105698.php

Whoo...it took some time to sort out which thermocouples to buy, but I think I finally got it right.

So is it hard to get a setpoint working?
[/quote]

I got the t/c's from Sensor Connection--bought the 12 foot leads and am glad I did, the #3 one just reaches the way I have them routed in behind the driver's seat. Setting up the display is pretty intuitive, instructions are good--pay attention to the +/- leads on the t/c's.....the yellow is +.

Jake says that the only time the egt is meaningful is at WOT & want it below 1275F or so. It's really hard to focus on it under WOT conditions on the road--you understand.

I've found egt's much higher at partial throttle cruising and currently have the alarm set at 1500 to avoid annoyance. Still can't keep my eyes off of the display & am finding cylinder 1 running maybe 1100F at 60mph in 4th and cylinder 4 will be 1400F with 2&3 in between. Considering swapping injectors from 4&1 to see if that's the cause....
Randal

There are some great LED lights and sending units here:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/?gclid=CIiI...CFQtPgwodd36YSg

Now just need to wade through all the products to figure out which one would work best.
stownsen914
I used a medium sized (2" or so) running light from a trailer for my oil light. Bought it at NAPA. I recently added an orange 2" light for the alternator light. I don't worry too much whether my alternator is working, but it can also indicate if the fan has stopped running for some reason since that can fry a motor pretty quickly.

Scott
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.