Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: watkins glen
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 shifter
i am signed up with pca, and payed for track time at watkins glen. getting pca inspection friday.
i will probably head up there tuesday the 24th. can hardly wait # 548 1974 porsche 914 (silver) Green (Wed) Confirmed
about 80 porsches on the roster only one 914 gunner.gif
tomeric914
Enjoy! It's a fun and fast track which I'm usually the only 914 at. Sign up for the early August DE at Watkins Glen with NNJR and you'll see more 914s.
carr914
The same weekend as the PCA Club Race, right. Should be a good weekend. If need parts, I know Stable Energies are going to be there.

I was born in Watkins Glen - Great Area
Cupomeat
Yes, Tom is right, WG is great FUN! agree.gif

I ran my 1.8l 914 there about 5 DE events and the only frustrating part is on the uphill after the toe, where everyone in the run group (who has at minimum 2x my Hp) seems to pass me. HOWEVER, you can annoy the crap out of them on the rest of the corners with a 914. Nothing like being able to go flat out from turn 1 all the way through the esses to the bus stop!

The NNJR DE event in August usually has about 4-5 914s still running. Not like the old days. That and it feels like everyone there has a GT3... drooley.gif which is good and bad.

Have fun, and post pix.

Keep the shiny side up and avoid the blue dragon!

tomeric914
Yes, make sure to tell your instructor that you want to run "flat out". w00t.gif
914 shifter
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ May 18 2011, 10:01 AM) *

Yes, Tom is right, WG is great FUN! agree.gif

I ran my 1.8l 914 there about 5 DE events and the only frustrating part is on the uphill after the toe, where everyone in the run group (who has at minimum 2x my Hp) seems to pass me. HOWEVER, you can annoy the crap out of them on the rest of the corners with a 914. Nothing like being able to go flat out from turn 1 all the way through the esses to the bus stop!

The NNJR DE event in August usually has about 4-5 914s still running. Not like the old days. That and it feels like everyone there has a GT3... drooley.gif which is good and bad.

Have fun, and post pix.

Keep the shiny side up and avoid the blue dragon!

raby 2056 with dual webers should help on the hills evilgrin.gif
914 shifter
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 18 2011, 10:00 AM) *

The same weekend as the PCA Club Race, right. Should be a good weekend. If need parts, I know Stable Energies are going to be there.

stable energies is about 10miles from me. i am going tomorrow to look at a helmet
Cupomeat
QUOTE(914 shifter @ May 18 2011, 05:11 PM) *

Nice, I have about 84hp... and that hill is sooo long in my 914... (not bad in my 993... happy11.gif )
MikeSpraggi
I'm usually the only 914 at DEs as well. I'll be there the weekend (3 days) of June 24-26 with Potomac, July 29-31 with Riesentoter and Sept. 26-27 with Schattenbaum. I REALLY like that track. Climbing up the esses flat out (in a teener) is a real rush. Hope I have the DE/track car and not the street car though.
tomeric914

Well, for the last 3 years I've run a 2056 with dual Webers, WebCam, etc., etc. and that hill is still a beyotch. You need to carry a helluva lot of speed into the toe, stay way outside and cut in onto the concrete patch. Make those tires sing into the corner and you'll have a good run at the hill.

If you're good, you'll run down some unsuspecting 911 there. What sucks is when they give you the pass up that hill!
914 shifter
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ May 18 2011, 04:45 PM) *

Well, for the last 3 years I've run a 2056 with dual Webers, WebCam, etc., etc. and that hill is still a beyotch. You need to carry a helluva lot of speed into the toe, stay way outside and cut in onto the concrete patch. Make those tires sing into the corner and you'll have a good run at the hill.

If you're good, you'll run down some unsuspecting 911 there. What sucks is when they give you the pass up that hill!

what gear/rpm should i be at the "toe" unsure.gif huh.gif gunner.gif
914 shifter
QUOTE(esses62 @ May 18 2011, 05:47 PM) *

keep your revs up and keep your feet off the brakes and you'll do fine beer.gif

i just bought a rev limiter to help avoid blowup.gif
carr914
QUOTE(914 shifter @ May 18 2011, 05:55 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ May 18 2011, 10:00 AM) *

stable energies is about 10miles from me. i am going tomorrow to look at a helmet

Talk to Joe, tell him I sent you.

T.C.
tomeric914
QUOTE(914 shifter @ May 18 2011, 10:55 PM) *

what gear/rpm should i be at the "toe"

It depends on how fast you're going. Listen to your car and listen to your instructor. You'll figure it out.

You will be overwhelmed at first. It's a long ass track. You'll only begin to "get it" by about the end of the second day.

If it's raining, SLOW DOWN especially in the esses. WG is referred to as the "Blue Dragon" or the "Blue Tube" for a reason. 2 wheels off and you're lucky. 4 wheels off and your done... because you'll be in the wall.
Cupomeat
Tom is right, but I think you'll find that the toe is a third gear corner for most everyone with stock gearing. Second can be used but I found that it resulted in me wanting to shift to third in the corner.

Somewhere I have some good footage of my 914's tires screaming around the toe. I'll find it to post.
914 shifter
thanks to all. this info about WG is great. don't hesitate to post more. beerchug.gif
BTW how much gas do i want in the tank ? 1/4 1/2 ? w00t.gif
tomeric914
QUOTE(914 shifter @ May 19 2011, 10:15 PM) *

BTW how much gas do i want in the tank ? 1/4 1/2 ?

Full tank at the start of each day. You'll burn at least 1/2 tank per day at WG.
carr914
I would run 1/2 Tank if you have some gas cans to refill. Full, if no cans, as the trip down the hill to fill up will take too much time.
914 shifter
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 20 2011, 04:55 AM) *

I would run 1/2 Tank if you have some gas cans to refill. Full, if no cans, as the trip down the hill to fill up will take too much time.

thank you smile.gif
914 shifter
got my tech inspection. shades.gif everything looks good except i need to put a couple of horseshoe clips on the rear
brake lines, snug up left front wheel bearing, snap tie/ secure a fuel line and replace a rear brake bulb
one is brighter than the other. splat.gif popcorn[1].gif
Cupomeat
Congrats! I remember the trepidation I used to feel before tech inspections on my 914 and they were often telling me I needed to tighten a front wheel bearing also... (not always did I really have to)
I was always more worried about too many oil leaks... barf.gif

On that rear brake light, it might be a ground issue (very common), and not the bulb. Check to see if the rest of the lights glow when you put on the brake light. If so, the current is finding its way through the other bulbs to ground.

Also, make sure that someone (PO) didn't jam that 1157 bulb into the socket the wrong way (the keepers are keyed to only twist in one way).

You'll have a great time. The Esses are great in a 914 and when you get turn 5 right, you'll rocket out of there faster than you think a 914 could go and have to really get on the brakes for the left hander into the laces.

Also, turn 10 is a MUCH faster turn than you might think. I ended up not touching the brakes between 9 (off camber) and 10 (NASCAR) but do whatever your instructor tells you.

Great fun in a 914!
914 shifter
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ May 20 2011, 06:00 AM) *

Congrats! I remember the trepidation I used to feel before tech inspections on my 914 and they were often telling me I needed to tighten a front wheel bearing also... (not always did I really have to)
I was always more worried about too many oil leaks... barf.gif

On that rear brake light, it might be a ground issue (very common), and not the bulb. Check to see if the rest of the lights glow when you put on the brake light. If so, the current is finding its way through the other bulbs to ground.

Also, make sure that someone (PO) didn't jam that 1157 bulb into the socket the wrong way (the keepers are keyed to only twist in one way).

You'll have a great time. The Esses are great in a 914 and when you get turn 5 right, you'll rocket out of there faster than you think a 914 could go and have to really get on the brakes for the left hander into the laces.

Also, turn 10 is a MUCH faster turn than you might think. I ended up not touching the brakes between 9 (off camber) and 10 (NASCAR) but do whatever your instructor tells you.

Great fun in a 914!

any particular ground i should check for the bulb issue ?
914 shifter
robot.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.