Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RS style door panels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
i love porsche
does anyone know if they sell rs style door panles that fit the 914...or do you have to make them yourself..because i want mine to be like that....also...how do you lock your door?
tod914
Mike Z had a 914-6 which had the GT style door panels in it. Very simular to what you had. Maybe ask him.
i love porsche
well.. i didnt have themm..but i want them...thanks though..ill ask him =]
carr914
I have a very similar style, except the strap doesn't work the latch. The door bin had to be removed due to my roll cage and the resulting holes in the panel were ugly. so I reskinned the panel with the basket weave and attached the pull strap to the original bin holes. My lock and latch remained the same.
tat2dphreak
SCHWEET... we need a "how to" on making real gt style panels... I think scott schroeder also has them...
RON S.
I'd like to swap out the door panels on my 6 also.
I've wondered how far off the fit is for a 911 door panel.
Almost every Porsche magazine has ads from vendors selling RS,RSR,and every other type door panel made for the 911.Vinyl,leather you name it.Most of them are in the 2-300.00 dollar per pair range.
I've been tempted to get a pair and see if they'd work.
Has anyone out there gone down this road before?
Ron
boxstr
John at Original Fit Interiors has given me a quote of $150-175 each. Made from scratch. The one thing he doe's need are the three clips from the back of your old panels.
Give him a call, one man shop so don't expcet a secratary to answer, he may be out getting supplies.
Original Fit Interior 541-459-1700
machina
I fabricated these carbon fiber panels and bought a set of these late style RS door pulls but I never installed them.

Really don't need them on the race car.

dr
i love porsche
will the rs door panels fit on the 914?
tat2dphreak
synthesisdv,
where did you get the CF for the panels? THAT is a cool idea/look!
machina
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jun 1 2004, 03:26 PM)
synthesisdv,
where did you get the CF for the panels? THAT is a cool idea/look!

I bought a roll of CF 5oz twill and laid up the panel on a sheet of glass.

then just cut to fit.

got some air bubbles but looks good from afar.

want to do some more projects in the future with molding CF.

dr

got my stuff from
http://www.shopmaninc.com/
seanery
how did you cure it?
machina
QUOTE(seanery @ Jun 1 2004, 03:34 PM)
how did you cure it?

use epoxy resin, just like laying fiberglass, which i had done before.

for simple parts like this you don;t need to vaccum bag or dare i say autoclave.

you only need that equipment for structural parts or parts that really need to be perfect and void free.

for $50 you can buy a roll of CF on sale and some resin and have some fun. hard part about CF is that most people want to leave it clear so you really have to get the lay up perfect. you can;t bondo and fill if your not going to paint the part.

dr
MarkV
I bought these from Original Fit.
Mort 914
Mark V,

Do you have contact info for Original Fit?

Yellow 73 914 1.7
fiid
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Jun 1 2004, 11:37 AM)
QUOTE(seanery @ Jun 1 2004, 03:34 PM)
how did you cure it?

use epoxy resin, just like laying fiberglass, which i had done before.

for simple parts like this you don;t need to vaccum bag or dare i say autoclave.

you only need that equipment for structural parts or parts that really need to be perfect and void free.

for $50 you can buy a roll of CF on sale and some resin and have some fun. hard part about CF is that most people want to leave it clear so you really have to get the lay up perfect. you can;t bondo and fill if your not going to paint the part.

dr

I was wondering if it's possible to make a venturi tray and tubes to attach to the rear of a 914. I have been trying to find enough info on the aerodynamics aspect of it - my guess is that we could make such a thing (if we can figure out a good design) out of straight fiber-glass or carbon fibre and get some pretty serious downforce at the rear. That plus a ducktail would be pretty serious ground suction.

I don't know what I'm talking about, so someone ought to chime in that knows anything.

Where are you guys getting door pulls from? I am going to need to do the RSR thing soon enough so I will need a solution - plus I have no driver side door pull anyway - since the box became detached at the bottom and got too annoying to leave on there.

Fiid.
fiid
ferk.

I wonder if a venturi system can be adapted to suck air over the engine as well as from the bottom of the car......

hmmmmm.......
machina
QUOTE(fiid @ Jun 2 2004, 09:50 AM)
ferk.

I wonder if a venturi system can be adapted to suck air over the engine as well as from the bottom of the car......

hmmmmm.......

i have a book on race car aerodynamics by Katz but it is way over my head.

I think it talks about trays and bottom design but this stuff gets very complicated.

I am not sure how you could meausre the effectivness of a design unless maybe you put some kind of potentiometer on the rear suspension to measure the load or lift at speed.

dr
boxstr
You can buy the carbon fiber sheets from TAP Plastics, they cost @$85.00 each.
CCLINPLASTICFANTASTIC
fiid
What we's need is a wind tunnel!
:-)
MarkV
QUOTE(boxstr @ Jun 1 2004, 07:20 AM)
John at Original Fit Interiors has given me a quote of $150-175 each. Made from scratch. The one thing he doe's need are the three clips from the back of your old panels.
Give him a call, one man shop so don't expcet a secratary to answer, he may be out getting supplies.
Original Fit Interior 541-459-1700

Tim here is the contact info for Original Fit Interiors:
Quebecer
I was also thinking of doing my own panels by using the old ones as templates, but I don't know where to get the door pulls and handles. confused24.gif
MarkV
These are available cheap:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2480291218
J P Stein
Craig:

Guy's Interiors in Portland did mine.......quickly, nice for around 200 bucks for the pair, IIRC.

Had a problem with Original Fit....wouldn't send my last shit there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.