Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Put Your Noodles Together - Quick Release + Horn
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
Collective soul...

Looking for your thoughts on using a stock GT wheel with the hockey puck on a quick release assembly "and" retaining the horn.

Not opposed to having the coily wire (which I've seen, but a Google search didn't net results) wrapping the colum. I think Elliott has something of the sort with a red button on the Zonker. I was thinking of something "similar" but retaining the original GT (early 911) horn button. Would love to know more about that setup to see if it's adaptable.

Any other thoughts? There was a guy on PP that did a custom mod on a 911 but I'm not sure of the application with the hockey puck. Again, I don't mind and might even prefer the coil chord vs. a ton of machining.

Anyone BTDT?

confused24.gif
Elliot Cannon
The Zonker is out at the airport in my hangar but I need to go there today to take pics for a prospective buyer. I'll take some pics of the steering wheel and hub.
Cheers, Elliot
DBCooper
Excellent. I have a quick release wheel but horn button on the dash. Looking forward to seeing what slick solution you come up with so I can shamelessly copy it.
Kirmizi
Happy Motoring E! biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Woa! Awesome... that solves that problem! Next. LOL
Elliot Cannon
I'm not sure how "slick" this solution is but it worked for me. I made an adapter out of a piece of aluminum and screwed it to the wheel. I had a stock steering wheel and pried off the copper looking flat disc that the horn brushes would contact while the wheel is being turned and epoxied it onto the adapter I had made. Here are some pics that might make more sense than my explanation.
Cheers, Elliot
Elliot Cannon
One more.
Mike Bellis
I run a modified 924 Turbo wheel on a Momo hub with a quick release. I use the stock wire on the stock terminal on the wheel. I only had to put some shrink tube on the bare spade connector. When I pull the wheel, the wire simply un plugs. It pops right off. I have to plug the wire back on the wheel when I reinstall. Very easy and very simple... Works great!

Click to view attachment

I cut the factory hub off the back of the wheel, drilled the 6 holes and made spacers to square up the wheel to the hub.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Don't really have a good pic inside the hub but you can imagine the factory horn wire with shrink tube to insulate the connector.
rick 918-S
Elliots looks like the spring loaded pin rides on the copper plate to make contact for the power wire to the horn. With a stock wheel the wire could easily be hidden and a copper plate could be machined smaller to be a little more discrete.

BTW: I would love to pull a mold off that horn button. idea.gif
Eric_Shea
OK... here's where we stand for now:

Here's the wheel mounted to the outer 1/2 of the quick release:

IPB Image

I'm planning on removing the factory mount from another wheel I have to mount the hockey puck.:

IPB Image

Maybe use the factory base (with a modified wheel plate) and turn signal cancelling device.

IPB Image

Here's the plate off the previous wheel:

IPB Image

Back 1/2 of the quick release on the plate and base:

IPB Image

And, the mock assembly:

IPB Image

So, everything assembles fine but, the factory contact will not work with this quick release so I'm thinking the only thing left is to figure out a contact system for the factory hockey puck...
sixnotfour
911R push button, I doubt you will even want to dare push on your 45 year old leather hockey puck. idea.gif

anyhow that stack you have there will surely give you the nastycar (NASCAR)style of wheel placement stirthepot.gif

BTW was that an early 914 wheel you modified ?

And I will take my medication now.
McMark
I think you should modify the black aluminum (?) piece by drilling down through the center and the milling a channel into the base for a wire to run. Then use 914-347-831-00 in the hole to provide a spring loaded contact between the column and the wheel.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914-347-831-00

Then machine a delrin plug with a steel center plug which will fit into the steering wheel and contact the pin when installed and have a wire out the top to connect to the hockey puck.
Click to view attachment

Hopefully I translated my idea somewhat clearly.
Eric_Shea
BTW was that an early 914 wheel you modified ?

Got all the bits like this... I've yet to modify a wheel (or check the part numbers) to be honest with ya.

I like the wheel a tad closer as well so, it might work.

Thanks Mark... I had a thought to drill that piece as well. Your ideas take it a bit further though. Cool. Thanks.
Eric_Shea
Part numbers on both wheels:

sixnotfour
stazak list
914.347.803.10-hard rubber 914-6 70-71
914.347.804.10-hard rubber 914-4 70-71
914.347.804.11-hard rubber 72 up
914.347.805.10-leather 914-4 70-71
914.347.805.11-leather 914-6 and 914-4 72 up
914.347.806.10-leather 914-6 70-71 & RS
914.347.809.00-fake leather 72 up
Eric_Shea
Well... The one they "boofed" was the 806.10 wheel. sad.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(McMark @ May 22 2011, 01:49 PM) *

I think you should modify the black aluminum (?) piece by drilling down through the center and the milling a channel into the base for a wire to run. Then use 914-347-831-00 in the hole to provide a spring loaded contact between the column and the wheel.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914-347-831-00

Then machine a delrin plug with a steel center plug which will fit into the steering wheel and contact the pin when installed and have a wire out the top to connect to the hockey puck.
Click to view attachment

Hopefully I translated my idea somewhat clearly.

Yup agree.gif Use the spring pin setup and drill it like McMark showed.
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ May 22 2011, 11:49 AM) *

I asked this a while ago, what's the best way to get rid of the "scraping" noise from the pin? Is there some sort of conductive grease one could use?

idea.gif
jaxdream
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 22 2011, 03:14 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ May 22 2011, 11:49 AM) *

I asked this a while ago, what's the best way to get rid of the "scraping" noise from the pin? Is there some sort of conductive grease one could use?

idea.gif

Possibly , if can be found , tuner cleaner / lube . Maybe check with a ham radio shop for something of this nature .Just a WAG on my part.

Jack
Eric_Shea
The only problem I see with going down that road is the integrity of that part once it's drilled. I have the old contact here and the diameter is rather large in comparison to the stem.
PRS914-6
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 22 2011, 04:14 PM) *

idea.gif

Yes, it's called di-elecric grease. It's silicone based. I've used it several timnes for that exact issue. Put a thin coat on the entire ring
McMark
Perhaps flipping the design and putting the pin contact in the wheel portion?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.