Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question for Levi or other Chevy guys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
Ok, I have this 283 engine all ready to go into the car. Nice fresh build, all new parts. I bought a billet aluminum timing cover for it and an aluminum oil pan for it. They look very nice. They both fit on the engine well, but not together. I thought maybe the timing cover was wrong so I got a chrome one from Chevrolet. It fits fine until I tried to put the oil pan on. It still doesnt fit right, it sits about an inch above the block on the timing cover end. So I went and bought a new chrome oil pan but steel this time. Same thing. My question is, was there a difference between the timing covers on a 283? The ugly ass stock one that I took off, fits fine with either oil pan, but the aftermarket ones (Chrome and aluminum) dont with any oil pan. Enlighten me.
John2kx
Scott,

Had a similar problem a while back. It was due to a difference in thickness with the front and rear seals. I don't remember having a 1" gap between oil pan and block..........closer to 1/2-3/4". I do remember I could not get the oil pan bolts started at front of block.

Once problem was identified, I still spent two days running back and forth to the auto parts store trying the different sizes available. Note: this was a new engine with block numbers available. Kind of surprised me that so many different seals were available for this part of motor.

If you can't resolve the issue, I'd use the ugly timing cover that fits all pans. You won't be able to see it once installed in car.

John
Levi
Scott I'd have to look to know for sure but I'm thinking its the front rubber seal there are 2 sizes, you should have got 2 different ones in your gasket kit check that and let me know...don't wait cause i'm leaving soon..
neo914-6
Scott,
Are you driving this car to the WCC?
Felix
skline
Well, I had to go do a few jobs to pay some bills, I hate how work always interferes with my car time. There is two different seals in the kit as Levi mentioned. I can put the smaller seal in and it fits, however, it is a little long for the area and I would need to trim it down, I think with enough silicone around the edges, it will seal. No, this car wont make it this year to the WCC, it will be up and running before the end of this month though. I am still working on it because I want to drive it. I have gotten it so close trying to get it ready for WCC that I am not going to stop working on it even though it wont be ready. You all know what I mean. Thanks for all the advice though.
Levi
QUOTE(skline @ Jun 1 2004, 08:19 PM)
Well, I had to go do a few jobs to pay some bills, I hate how work always interferes with my car time. There is two different seals in the kit as Levi mentioned. I can put the smaller seal in and it fits, however, it is a little long for the area and I would need to trim it down, I think with enough silicone around the edges, it will seal. No, this car wont make it this year to the WCC, it will be up and running before the end of this month though. I am still working on it because I want to drive it. I have gotten it so close trying to get it ready for WCC that I am not going to stop working on it even though it wont be ready. You all know what I mean. Thanks for all the advice though.

I hope you remember the instructions I gave you for the pan seals DON'T trim it, it only looks to long Be sure to put some RTV under and on top of the end seals and make sure you put plenty around where the seal and side gaskets meet....Copy??

If this engine leaks I''m a guna say "I told Ya".. laugh.gif laugh.gif
beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.