Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cyl head temp and air temp sensors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
4WheelDrifter
This is where I think they are on a 2.0:

Cyl head temp sensor on #3 cyl behind it's intake runner.

Air temp sensor is between the throttle body and the oil filler, "pointing" to the throttle body with it's connection to the front of the car.

Am I right? Just want to make sure. I'm troubleshooting my engine's rich running condition and don't want make false checks.

Another question: I have a 2.0 with the 044 CPU and 037 MPS, What head temp sensor should I be using. The PO gave me a spare 012 sensor. The spare 012 reads 1.6k ohms (air temp about 70) but the one in the car reads 3k ohms with the engine cold (car sitting for 2 days, Garage slightly cooler than outside temp).

After reading Brad's site, it seems the spare 012 sensor is defective and the one in the car is good. Am I right on this?

Thanks!
mike_the_man
Sounds to me like you're right on the locations. Pictures would be good to be positive, but from the description, it sounds like you're looking at the right sensors. It also sounds to me like the sensor in the car is good, but I can't remember the exact values. What does the CHT sensor read when the engine is hot? The value should drop considerably, can't remember what it should read off the top of my head, but if it's not dropping enough it will cause the car to run rich.
TheCabinetmaker
IIRC, about 3K cold is correct. Brads site also has a list of what components go together.

Yes. By your description, you are looking at the right parts. Uh, wait. air temp sensor is on the plenum below the throttle body. Plug has three wires (I think). The AAR is just forward of that location also.
pbanders
Your description of where the CHT is located is correct. What you think is the air temp sensor is actually the thermoswitch for the CSV. The air temp sensor screws into the top of the air distribution box (plennum).

The '73 2.0 setup has:
CHT: 0 280 130 017 (plus a 270 ohm ballast resistor in series)
MPS: 0 280 100 037
ECU: 0 280 000 037

The '74 2.0 setup has:
CHT: 0 280 130 012 (or a 0 280 130 003, same sensor with a longer lead)
MPS: 0 280 100 043
ECU: 0 280 000 043 (or a 044)

Your setup is mismatched. Hard to say which way is the best to go. The '73 setup was somewhat of a kludge, I generally recommend changing to the '74 setup. But that means for you, a new MPS. Pricey.

At 70 deg. F, the 012 CHT should read closer to 3K ohms. If it reads 1.6 K, it's too low and will be lean on startup and throughout warmup.

Brad Anders
lmcchesney
Regarding MPS's:
All MPS's are basically the same. Some are short nosed some are long nosed, some have different spring rates.
I use a Waveteck to calibrate them to my known data which is very similar to BradAnders data. I do have a NOS 043 that I use to check the wavetek everytime before I calibrate a unit.
The 037 (73 2.0l) has way different settings than the 049 and 043. The 049 and 043 are pretty much the same except for the WOT settings.
You can set up a MPS though and it will spec out perfectly then go for a drive and it runs like shit! These units are old so if you want perfect running car get a new one!
I harvest good diaphrams out of MPS's then rebuild them for 2.0l's.
The AA rebuilt MPS's I have seen are junk !

Geoff
morph
Brads site?
Bleyseng
http://www.members.rennlist.com/pbanders
4WheelDrifter
Brad, the compatability chart on your page says the 037 can work with an 044 CPU or am I reading it wrong?

I'd like to get an 043 MPS, anyone have one for a reasonable price? Are rebuilds any good, I'm hearing mixed things about them.

I'll look for the air temp sensor and check it.

Thanks for the help guys. pray.gif
lmcchesney
Bullett has a parallel post going on presently.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=ST&f=2&t=12666
Brad and Geoff answer these and other questions.
L. McC
4WheelDrifter
Well my 037 MPS tested good with a vac. I'll check the primary and secondary coils next. Then fuel pressure.

Anyone want to trade a good (if the coils read good) 037 MPS for a good 043?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.