Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I Can't Win...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Britain Smith
Well...the last couple of days the grinding of my tranny in first and reverse got out of hand. It appears that the clutch was not fully engaging when I pushed it in even though Brad and I recently went through the painful procedure of welding the clutch tube and installing a new clutch cable. I believe that the main issue now is the pedal assembly and all the original plastic bushings. With a shortage of time before to install the bronze bushing kit before the WCC this weekend, I opted to switch out the orginal pedal assembly with the one from my now completely dissassembled 912. Although it is painted red, it has the complete bronze bushing kit installed and fit right into the teener. All I have left to do is adjust the throttle cable so it doesn't rev to 4K, adjust the clutch so it doesn't do any more damage, and adjust the shaft for the master cylinder so the rear brakes don't lock up prematuraly. Does anyone have any suggestions on these three tasks? Why do things always have to break at the wrong times...Murphy's Law I guess.

-Britain
davep
Well, it didn't want to miss all the fun at the WCC, so it decided to force your hand the week before.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Jun 2 2004, 10:08 AM)
Why do things always have to break at the wrong times...Murphy's Law I guess.

no, the question you *should* ask is:

"why didn't i check those bushings after i bought the car. i know they're plastic and have probably never been replaced, so they're 35 years old and most likely worn out."

dude, you bought a car that is twice as old as you,
what the heck did you expect?

confused24.gif Andy
mightyohm
Why would bad pedal bushings cause the clutch to not fully disengage? Make the cable tighter and see if that fixes it. Make sure you're not hitting the edge of the transmission case with the fork when you push the clutch all the way in.
nebreitling
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Jun 2 2004, 12:29 PM)
Why would bad pedal bushings cause the clutch to not fully disengage?

my question too... in my limited experience, i'd think it's still a cable issue...
SirAndy
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Jun 2 2004, 02:04 PM)
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Jun 2 2004, 12:29 PM)
Why would bad pedal bushings cause the clutch to not fully disengage?

my question too... in my limited experience, i'd think it's still a cable issue...

worn out bushing means wrong angle (not 90 deg) on the pivot shaft, means automatic clutch adjustment on the fly (usually for the worse), depending on the load on the worn bushing.

plus, it'll get worse over time!
wink.gif Andy

PS: what i really mean is that any angle other than 90 deg, will either stretch or compress the cable, either way, it'll be off from the original adjustement, thus grinding gears ...
mightyohm
tighten the cable and compensate for the slop. <_<
Britain Smith
The clutch was not engaging all the way because when I pressed the clutch in I was not getting the full throw. It pedal assembly was really loose and every one of the plastic bushings were trashed...like Andy said, it was constaintly making adjustments.

-Britain
SirAndy
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Jun 2 2004, 02:29 PM)
tighten the cable and compensate for the slop. dry.gif

problem is, the slop is constantly changing!

tighten the cable will only do one thing:
BRAKE THE CLUTCH TUBE

smash.gif Andy
Britain Smith
And I have already done that...

-Britain
nebreitling
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 2 2004, 01:26 PM)

worn out bushing means wrong angle (not 90 deg) on the pivot shaft, means automatic clutch adjustment on the fly (usually for the worse), depending on the load on the worn bushing.

cool, thanks. that clears it up for me
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.