Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Went and Looked at another Matching numbered.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
racerbvd
Mostly complete, engine & tranny out of it, but stored indoors..

The owner is thinking about letting it go, but not sure for how much, what do you guys think, if has Fuchs..

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Strudelwagon
QUOTE(racerbvd @ May 21 2011, 04:24 PM) *
Mostly complete, engine & tranny out of it, but stored indoors..

The owner is thinking about letting it go, but not sure for how much, what do you guys think, if has Fuchs..

Looks like a "Carden" part car....part garden! bye1.gif
Pat Garvey
As much as I want one (for 30+ years now), this is too much for me!

Good luck!
sixnotfour
Thats one rusty 914-6.
draganc
Based on the pics, I would guess the body needs a LOT of work.
If title in hand with engine and tranny - I would go maybe up to $3000.

My guess, it will take at least $25k to get her back on the road, hence, why not buy a running car.....

d
racerbvd
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 21 2011, 05:21 PM) *

As much as I want one (for 30+ years now), this is too much for me!

Good luck!

Yea, a parts car, I'll try an get the vin... I have known the guy for over 25 years, he told me he had a "Six" years ago (25) and this is the 1st time that I have seen it. He really is thinking about selling it, so any ideas on a reasonable offer?/
racerbvd
QUOTE(draganc @ May 21 2011, 05:45 PM) *

Based on the pics, I would guess the body needs a LOT of work.
If title in hand with engine and tranny - I would go maybe up to $3000.

My guess, it will take at least $25k to get her back on the road, hence, why not buy a running car.....

d

$25K is very low (currently restoring one, in much better shape, see blog) and yes, very rusty, does & engine, tranny & title. Don't know if he would let it go for $3K, he does know the cars & has a shop that works on them, but man, does it need A LOT OF WORK!!! sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif But, matching number cars aren't falling off trees....
Click to view attachment

914 Speedster anyone???

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
$3k and he throws in the speedster 914. That's not worth the effort. If you want a 914-6 project buy the shell that Sir Andy owns.
SirAndy
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ May 21 2011, 07:13 PM) *
$3k and he throws in the speedster 914.

agree.gif

They may not fall out of trees but apparently some have trees growing in them ...
blink.gif
draganc

$25K is very low (currently restoring one, in much better shape, see blog) and yes, very rusty, does & engine, tranny & title. Don't know if he would let it go for $3K, he does know the cars & has a shop that works on them, but man, does it need A LOT OF WORK!!! sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif But, matching number cars aren't falling off trees....

914 Speedster anyone???

even better if he knows the cars. what are good orig. 914-6 are going for $35-40k?
and then you need to find a buyer for that price.

i know number matching means a lot on a 914-6, however, as you mentioned $25k is easy spend on any 914 restoration. i'm doing a '75 2.0 and stopped counting after $10k - what the heck, it's still fun.

if he still works at his shop, asking him how much he would estimate to get her back on the road and then ask him how much the car would be worth - after having the car in the shop for about 1-2 years.

i, would not go higher then $3k.

good luck and let us know. popcorn[1].gif
bandjoey
You might charge him tree trimming fees and haul it off. I'd Pay nothing for that shell. Maybe the motor and trans are worth something but still probably not much seeing how he treated the body.
avidfanjpl
Pull the damn thing out of the trees and check for rust, then start at 1 or 2k, because it is maybe 1/30th of the way back to real life.

30K and 2 years of hard work is not unheard of for basically getting the VIN and some noncancerous sheet metal on the car to be a real 6 again.

We all know a lot may have to be replaced, and it takes a long time to get deals that don't mean that you sold a kidney, lung and a yard of skin to do it.

But, again, GET THAT CAR, because the VIN is only 1 of 3371 made, not counting the M and other small run variants.

Minus the vegetation!

Please keep us all posted on it's condition and fate.

I have people interested in real 6's, but not ones that that are "Rust Free"*

(*) Steve Gaglione's definition that the rust is at no charge!

John
Gustl
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 22 2011, 03:31 AM) *

They may not fall out of trees but apparently some have trees growing in them ...
blink.gif

happy11.gif biggrin.gif av-943.gif laugh.gif
carr914
QUOTE(racerbvd @ May 21 2011, 10:08 PM) *

QUOTE(draganc @ May 21 2011, 05:45 PM) *

Don't know if he would let it go for $3K, he does know the cars & has a shop that works on them, but man, does it need A LOT OF WORK!!! sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif But, matching number cars aren't falling off trees....

If he knew the cars, he would Not have left them out in the Jungle

$3k for both cars and you are doing him a Favor

rick 918-S
Jeeze, that makes me real sick. sad.gif LMK if I can help save that thing. 3K and your buying the engine,trans if it's correct and the title. Column, correct dash. In the salt air of FL in the jungle that car is turning back into iron ore. But it can be repaired.
bcheney
What's with the cab top? I've seen some original sixes modified but cutting the targa bar off and fitting a cab top is a bit over the top. I agree with TC on this one...
avidfanjpl
Turn it into a group own, group project.

I would kick in a couple of K and parts.

We could make some money or 1 would buy others out.

We should be doing this anyhow as small teams.

Someone should know a lawyer and make it an LLC or something that works in the State best legally suited.

Not partnership legally speaking. Something more proper. Legal Partnerships always fail miserably. LLC is probably best.

Comments?

J
mepstein
QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ May 22 2011, 01:18 PM) *

Turn it into a group own, group project.

I would kick in a couple of K and parts.

We could make some money or 1 would buy others out.

We should be doing this anyhow as small teams.

Someone should know a lawyer and make it an LLC or something that works in the State best legally suited.

Not partnership legally speaking. Something more proper. Legal Partnerships always fail miserably. LLC is probably best.

Comments?

J

It usually cost more $ to restore a 6 than they will sell for. JMO
racerbvd
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 22 2011, 04:57 AM) *

Jeeze, that makes me real sick. sad.gif LMK if I can help save that thing. 3K and your buying the engine,trans if it's correct and the title. Column, correct dash. In the salt air of FL in the jungle that car is turning back into iron ore. But it can be repaired.

Yea, most likely nothing but a parts car and I will try & get the Vin (I got bit by something when I waas climbingto get the pix, really) so if it shows up rebodied, we will know the car. What really hurts is the car is only a few miles from the beach & has been for at least 25 years sad.gif
I was thinking as a parts car too, but I have most that I need (still need a dash, but need a very nice one)

Pull the damn thing out of the trees and check for rust, then start at 1 or 2k, because it is maybe 1/30th of the way back to real life.

30K and 2 years of hard work is not unheard of for basically getting the VIN and some noncancerous sheet metal on the car to be a real 6 again.

We all know a lot may have to be replaced, and it takes a long time to get deals that don't mean that you sold a kidney, lung and a yard of skin to do it.

But, again, GET THAT CAR, because the VIN is only 1 of 3371 made, not counting the M and other small run variants.

Minus the vegetation!

Please keep us all posted on it's condition and fate.

I have people interested in real 6's, but not ones that that are "Rust Free"*

(*) Steve Gaglione's definition that the rust is at no charge!

At this point in time, I have a few main goals..
1)Finish my building to I can get most of my toys under one roof..
2)Finish the 3 914s (including a solid, matching #s "6") that are important to me..
3)Get rid of ALL my other extra parts..
Not that long ago, I would have been all hyper to get this car & try & save it, or at least mate it to the "six" tub Andy has.. At least it would still be a real Six....
Course my current health issues have to straighten up firtst..

What's with the cab top? I've seen some original sixes modified but cutting the targa bar off and fitting a cab top is a bit over the top. I agree with TC on this one...

That is a Speedster kit, might be a old Beach Boys Racing one, I forgot, it belongs to a customer of his, I know the guy, but hadn't seen him in years. The plan is to put a Lexus V8 in it...

He really does know the cars and has been working on them for at least 30 years, why, when I know, that he has known the value of this car, he hasn't doe anythng, is beyond me.
Click to view attachment
carr914
QUOTE(racerbvd @ May 22 2011, 02:27 PM) *

What really hurts is the car is only a few miles from the beach & has been for at least 25 years sad.gif
[qoute]

He really does know the cars and has been working on them for at least 30 years, why, when I know, that he has known the value of this car, he hasn't doe anythng, is beyond me.
Click to view attachment

Great, a Salty Jungle

My Offer $500 - Final Offer
FourBlades

If you have a rare car and you know you aren't going to restore it, then be responsible and sell it to someone who will, or at least prepare it right for storage and store it in doors.

What purpose does it serve being a DAPO and letting it rust outside for 25 years?

So you can say "I have an original six"?

Good for you. mad.gif

John
dw914er
QUOTE(FourBlades @ May 22 2011, 04:17 PM) *

If you have a rare car and you know you aren't going to restore it, then be responsible and sell it to someone who will, or at least prepare it right for storage and store it in doors.

What purpose does it serve being a DAPO and letting it rust outside for 25 years?

So you can say "I have an original six"?

Good for you. mad.gif

John

I agree. While it may be numbers matching, the car is not getting better just by sitting there. Unless action is taken, the car will probably never see the road again. I would be realistic with the owner: you are doing him a favor for getting the car out from the weeds.
mepstein
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 22 2011, 04:53 PM) *

QUOTE(racerbvd @ May 22 2011, 02:27 PM) *

What really hurts is the car is only a few miles from the beach & has been for at least 25 years sad.gif
[qoute]

Click to view attachment

Great, a Salty Jungle

My Offer $500 - Final Offer

$501
jmill
Game over. Even at $500 you'll wonder what the hell you were thinking.
racerbvd
OK, it is for sale, but the value of the parts are more than the offers that have been posted here.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
It does have all 5 14" Fuchs..
Click to view attachment
draganc
thanks for the pictures. barf.gif

well, what's the asking price today?

after looking at the pics, I would not offer him my $3000 anymore. but that's just me. i'd love to have a -6, but for that kind of work and $$$ this car needs, I would buy a running car.

Mr.242
Part it out and the price of mine goes up!

dry.gif
eric9144
So so sad...

There's a guy who lives a couple of miles from me with a 1968 Mustang GT500 K.R. I knocked on the door years ago and tried to buy it from him knowing it would likely be a body replacement deal and he refused saying he was going to restore it someday and had all the parts...it's still sitting there, rotting in his front yard...and yes I ran the VIN, it's real...

How these people get these cars and then let them get to this state just blows my mind!
charliew
I played that game with a guy that didn't work on cars but was going to learn on a 55 corvette in his garage. I gave up and quit asking after a on and off 7 or 8 year deal. My friend from san antonio knows where a 914 6 is setting in a garage but hasn't moved for quite a while. I told him to check on it but don't make a big deal over it as I'm not really into original cars as I don't know what I would do with it and I won't put another car in my shop now until I finish the ones there.

I don't understand leaving a 6 out in the weather unless it was junk or the title was questionable and only a long wait could make it saleable.
SirAndy
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Aug 8 2011, 01:12 PM) *
OK, it is for sale, but the value of the parts are more than the offers that have been posted here.

icon8.gif

That's one of the few 914s you could probably actually do a "frame off" restoration on ...
sad.gif

BKLA
Wow, the value of rust must be at or very near the value of gold! biggrin.gif

racerbvd
QUOTE(draganc @ Aug 8 2011, 12:32 PM) *

thanks for the pictures. barf.gif

well, what's the asking price today?

after looking at the pics, I would not offer him my $3000 anymore. but that's just me. i'd love to have a -6, but for that kind of work and $$$ this car needs, I would buy a running car.

$6,500, check out the cost for a correct set of HEs, 914-6 Webers, the oil tank & you are over $3K right there.. Course, the fact that it is a matching # car, with the Docs helps alot.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I don't understand leaving a 6 out in the weather unless it was junk or the title was questionable and only a long wait could make it saleable.

He said it was this bad when he got it 25 years ago..
eric9144
I'd be shocked if the HE's or the Oil tank were salvageable, or worth 3k when looking at the rest of those pics...

This is starting to be reminiscent of the 356 chassis that was posted up a while back where there was really nothing left but a vin plate, 40% of a rusted out body...and a seller with high hopes (read that smoke.gif)
racerbvd
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Aug 8 2011, 02:02 PM) *

I'd be shocked if the HE's or the Oil tank were salvageable, or worth 3k when looking at the rest of those pics...

This is starting to be reminiscent of the 356 chassis that was posted up a while back where there was really nothing left but a vin plate, 40% of a rusted out body...and a seller with high hopes (read that smoke.gif)

How many matching number 914-6s are left??? Porsche only built a total of 3,351, and many of those got bigger engines, crashed, raced, rusted completely away, flat of gone, so there is value in a matching # 914-6.
This is more than a chassis too.
I'm currently restoring a matching numbers 914-6 (course it was a much more solid car and I paid a lot more than $6K for it.
Click to view attachment
Course taking that one down to bare metal
Click to view attachment
& a full rebuild (see my blog) wasn't cheap either but when it is completed, it will be a brand new car (and have cost as much too)
Point is, the Vin & matching numbers have value, I have seen worse (many have you have too, just didn't know) cars brought back & shown.
This RSR clip sold for a crap load more, A HUGE crap load, BTW;

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
Rationalize all you want.. virtually "everything' on that car would need replacing.

Interesting "curio" on my book... nothing more. might as well stay as yard art.
mepstein
Will be "interesting" to see where the vin ends up.
carr914
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Aug 8 2011, 05:55 PM) *

He said it was this bad when he got it 25 years ago..

No way it was that bad when Jungle Boy put it out in weeds !

As Eric said, everything needs to be re-done. I've gone through this and I thought my car was bad, but this one is worse.

However I've seen the 356 Dudes resurrect worse cars
SirAndy
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Aug 8 2011, 02:55 PM) *
$6K, check out the cost for a correct set of HEs, 914-6 Webers, the oil tank & you are over $3K right there.. Course, the fact that it is a matching # car, with the Docs helps alot.

blink.gif

The *only* way this can sell for 6K and come back as a complete car is if someone does a VIN swap.
There is simply no other way for this to be feasible.

If you did a correct restoration on that car after buying the hulk for $6k, you'd be sinking more into it than it will ever be worth.

I bet you we will see this VIN again on a very nice and solid car and it will be sold as "original" and "numbers matching".

But some of us will remember and know better when that time comes ...
stirthepot.gif
racerbvd
Well, it lived at a marina at on the ICW for 8 years before he bought it. So it is possible, but he took apart and stored the rest.
pete000
Wow, sad such a cool car got buried in the back yard, I see one good Fuch and one good 914-6 badge. Thats about it for me...

Good luck and that would be one cool story to see that chassis brought back to life !

I think 45 grand would be a better estimate to get it ship shape.

Eric_Shea
I think 45 grand would be a better estimate to get it ship shape

The body...
racerbvd
QUOTE(pete000 @ Aug 8 2011, 05:58 PM) *

Wow, sad such a cool car got buried in the back yard, I see one good Fuch and one good 914-6 badge. Thats about it for me...

Good luck and that would be one cool story to see that chassis brought back to life !

I think 45 grand would be a better estimate to get it ship shape.

Has all 5 matching Fuchs..
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 8 2011, 06:39 PM) *

QUOTE(racerbvd @ Aug 8 2011, 02:55 PM) *
$6K, check out the cost for a correct set of HEs, 914-6 Webers, the oil tank & you are over $3K right there.. Course, the fact that it is a matching # car, with the Docs helps alot.

blink.gif

The *only* way this can sell for 6K and come back as a complete car is if someone does a VIN swap.
There is simply no other way for this to be feasible.

If you did a correct restoration on that car after buying the hulk for $6k, you'd be sinking more into it than it will ever be worth.

I bet you we will see this VIN again on a very nice and solid car and it will be sold as "original" and "numbers matching".

But some of us will remember and know better when that time comes ...
stirthepot.gif

agree.gif Car that sold to Craig two years ago was 10x the car this is and sold for less than $5k. Now that the market has dropped a lot this car in this condition isn't worth the work. As Andy says, the only way it will ever be a solid car is if it is a different car.
r_towle
4k for both cars bid, all parts included.
1k for the six tub stripped with title and paperwork.
500 bucks for the convertible top and hardware bid.

Those are my bids.

Rich
GeorgeRud
I saw the pics on the bird board, and that poor car was built just 10 cars after my 914-6.

Looks like it had a much harder life!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.