Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Restoring engine bay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pman
Engine bay is clean of grease but looks 30 years old. I would like to get it looking like a newer area. How do I go about dressing it up? The pad between engine and drive seat is falling off the wall. Any and all tips appreciate. Thanks,

Paul
SirAndy
get rid of the padding in the engine bay.
it's a water trap and usually the firewall is rusted through at the bottom of the pad.

then, remove the engine, get the engine-comp sandblasted and respay it with the original paint.

voila!

smash.gif Andy
McMark
I wouldn't expect you to promote sandblasting Andy. biggrin.gif

A couple of cases of Berryman's brake cleaner will leave your engine bay ready for paint without the "aftermath" of mediablasting. Just do it in a well ventilated area and preferably with a chemical filtering mask.
i love porsche
will that take off surface rust?
McMark
No, not really. Get a 3M bristle stripper for and angle grinder.
SirAndy
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Jun 4 2004, 08:51 PM)
I wouldn't expect you to promote sandblasting Andy

true. i got carried away. biggrin.gif

just prepp it thoroughly and take care of all rust first,
then repaint ...

Andy
spare time toys
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Jun 4 2004, 07:51 PM)

A couple of cases of Berryman's brake cleaner will leave your engine bay ready for paint without the "aftermath" of mediablasting. Just do it in a well ventilated area and preferably with a chemical filtering mask.

Will that take the paint off?
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Jun 4 2004, 10:51 PM)

"aircraft" stripper!!! tht shit rocks the house for taking paint off!!
SpecialK
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jun 5 2004, 08:32 AM)
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Jun 4 2004, 10:51 PM)
I wouldn't expect you to promote sandblasting Andy.  :D

A couple of cases of Berryman's brake cleaner will leave your engine bay ready for paint without the "aftermath" of mediablasting.  Just do it in a well ventilated area and preferably with a chemical filtering mask.

"aircraft" stripper!!! tht shit rocks the house for taking paint off!!

agree.gif

And don't forget the protective (nitril) gloves, it does a number on skin as well!
415PB
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Jun 4 2004, 08:07 PM)
No, not really. Get a 3M bristle stripper for and angle grinder.

agree.gif Stripped mine and it actually went pretty easy.
Sparky
Engine bay clean up tips:

Remove motor

Degrease all surrounding metal

Clean - prep - repair the newly found rust

Toss 4 cylinder

Weld in Rich Johnsons new style mount

Put in a twin plugged MoTec'd PMO'd 3.2

Well thats my plan anyways. I just gotta figure out how to explain to the wife that the kitchen fund might get used for the motor ohmy.gif ....

My best,
Mike D.
madd_dogg_914
QUOTE(pman @ Jun 4 2004, 06:05 PM)
How can I get it looking better ?

Add a six!!! biggrin.gif

-Chris
Jake Raby
I had mine "Line_xed" it looks awesome, and kills the sound alot too.. It also kills the battery box rust issues, as it seals the engine bay for good.. I also did both trunks and the passenger compartment.
Dr Evil
What is Line_xed? Is that like Rhino Lining for truck beds?
mistro
Google search returns nothing on search of Line_xed? WTF?
BIGKAT_83
Try this.

www.line-x.com
Jake Raby
You got it... Line-X- Sorry for the confusion.
ThinAir
So is this stuff rough like some liners I've seen? I'm wondering about taking the skin off of nuckles when working in the engine bay. Also, is it good for putting in places like the battery tray or does it not hold up well to that kind of constant contact with a heavy object?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.