Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hard to get into gear - when hot
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EJP914
When the car ('74 1.8) is first run, it shifts ok. After it has been run for awhile and gets hot, I have trouble getting it into any gear especially first where I get a big grinding sound.
I have never replaced the clutch pedal or brake pedal bushings. Is it possible the clutch bushing is swelled up, not allowing the clutch pedal to fully return? It does make a really bad squeak when pushing the pedal in. This might be a really stupid question, but it's all i could think of as the cause.
The shifter bushings are fairly new so I don't think it's that. I do have to adjust the free play on the clutch since I just replaced the plastic bushing on the end of the cable.
I can't think its a broken clutch cable tube since the shifting is ok when cold.
Any suggestion on what may be the cause. Thx in advance for the help.
Elliot Cannon
Replacing the pedal bushings isn't too hard once you get the pedal assembly out. You can get the bushings in a kit and it has been suggested in the past NOT to use the roll pin that comes with the kit. I've been advised to buy a roll pin made with harder steel. Having said that, I used the roll pin in the kit eight years ago and it's still working. (Watch, now it will break tomorrow). laugh.gif Replace the pedal bushings and adjust your clutch.

PS I'm originaly from Clairton.
EJP914
Car has been sitting all afternoon. Stone cold. I can get 2nd and 3rd with some effort, but 4th and 5 th is no-go. I am afraid to force it. Any ideas? I am beginning to think this is going to be expensive.

Elliot: How long have you been gone from the 'burg?
messix
is it hard to get into gear when the engine is off?

if its ok then it's prolly just a need to adjust the clutch linkage down under the car by the tranny. have some one get in and push in the clutch while under the car and see if it's pulling the throw out bearing fork back all the way. if it is you might be need to put a spacer [washer] between the fork pivot ball and the bell housing. this will allow the fork to put more in to the clutch.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(EJP914 @ May 30 2011, 05:30 PM) *

Car has been sitting all afternoon. Stone cold. I can get 2nd and 3rd with some effort, but 4th and 5 th is no-go. I am afraid to force it. Any ideas? I am beginning to think this is going to be expensive.

Since 1956. Steeler fan for life.
Dr Evil
Hey Neighbor. I am thinking that this could also be an internal problem. Heat changes the way stuff in the gear box works and the viscosity of the oil. Thinner oil with heat = shittier shifting with worn internal parts. Not an uncommon occurrence. The only other thing that tends to be a culprit are the engine mounts allowing for shifting of the drive train. This is less likely as you are getting grinding which is either caused by a clutch that is not completely disengaging, or but worn internal parts.

For proper clutch adjustment, see my 31 pages of notes below.

If you wanna swing by or set up a time to meet, I can help you out. smile.gif
EJP914
Messix: Yes it is hard to get it into gear when the car is not running. At first I couldnt get any gear except 1 and reverse. The more I moved the shifter around alot and pushed the clutch pedal in and out, I finally found 2 & 3. 4 & 5 finally came around about an hr later. I adjusted the clutch cable at the tranny and will drive it tomorrow to see if any better.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(EJP914 @ May 30 2011, 10:56 PM) *

Messix: Yes it is hard to get it into gear when the car is not running. At first I couldnt get any gear except 1 and reverse. The more I moved the shifter around alot and pushed the clutch pedal in and out, I finally found 2 & 3. 4 & 5 finally came around about an hr later. I adjusted the clutch cable at the tranny and will drive it tomorrow to see if any better.

Ah, if not getting reverse then it is an adjustment issue. Reverse only puts up a fight when the adjustment is out, there is not syncro on it.
messix
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 30 2011, 08:05 PM) *

QUOTE(EJP914 @ May 30 2011, 10:56 PM) *

Ah, if not getting reverse then it is an adjustment issue. Reverse only puts up a fight when the adjustment is out, there is not syncro on it.

ya... you might wanna pull the tranny and go see the doc. he can get the shift forks adjusted for you.
URY914
Start by checking that the cone screws are tight. Then adjust your clutch.
jjackson
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 30 2011, 08:35 PM) *

QUOTE(EJP914 @ May 30 2011, 05:30 PM) *

Since 1956. Steeler fan for life.

agree.gif Sewickley 1982.JJackson
dirk9141973
WTF.gif same problem getting into reverse and 1st ?? I think its linkage ?? never had this problem and idea?
Dr Evil
In my 31 pages of notes linked below this is addressed smile.gif
charliew
From when I was a kid in the 60's if the clutch is not fully disengaging when the disk gets hotter it will be thicker and even more harder to get it to disengage. Try opening the door and rolling the car forward and backward while trying to get it in 1st or reverse and if it then goes in easily it's the clutch adjustment. By moving the car you are helping align the gears to slip in position easier. Kinda like rolling a bike back and forth to get the gears to mesh while you are sitting still.
dirk9141973
piratenanner.gif
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 1 2011, 02:06 PM) *

In my 31 pages of notes linked below this is addressed smile.gif

Your notes are GREAT !!!! Thanks
Spoke
QUOTE(jjackson @ May 31 2011, 09:04 AM) *

Sewickley 1982.JJackson

I grew up in Leetsdale. Did you go to Quaker Valley or the Academy? I graduated in 75.

Sorry for the hijack. Back on topic: Check your clutch adjustment.

If any more trouble, get with Dr. Evil. He will be able to find and fix your issues. For simple stuff, I think he works for beer and pizza. If it gets complicated, bring your checkbook.
Valy
Had a similar problem till I changed the front engine mounts.
The engine moves when the mounts are shot so the shift alignment changes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.