Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battery Tray Installation?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rex-n-effect
Ok, I bought the battery tray kit from AA and need to install it. I figured out that i need to bend the engine side tab towards the frame rail and then break it again to get it flat so that i can weld it to the rail. I also am going to drill some holes through the battery tray to weld it to the support bracket.

My question is this. How are you guys attaching the tray to the inner qtr panel? Welding or bolting through? If you weld, where are you welding it etc. I want to get it right the first time.

Thanks for the help.

Rex

McMark
I'm not sure what bending you're talking about, but I've never needed to bend a replacement battery tray. Of course, I always get mine from DANSK, via SSF, so I'm not sure if there's a difference.

I start the project by painting the back sides of both parts. Then drill holes in the support. Bolt the top and support together and weld a flange nut onto the stand so battery hold down removal/tightening isn't a two hand operation. With the pieces bolted together I hold everything in place, line it up where I like it, and start welding the support into place on the vertical part of the frame. Then I remove the top and weld the left and right sides to the top of the frame. Once that cools, I prepaint the inside since there won't be access again.
Click to view attachment

Then I once again bolt the tray onto the stand and trace the stand top flanges onto the underside of the tray, remove everything and drill holes in the tray. Then I prep everything, bolt it back in again and then start welding everything. I run one long bead along the back of the tray.
Rex-n-effect
That's what i needed to see. The part i am talking about bending is in the third picture. The lower support that welds to the vertical frame rail. On my bracket, after i bolt the battery tray on and then position it, the lower support is about 1 inch away from the frame rail where it would be welded. I need to bend it in and then bend it down so that i get contact on the rail. My tray is different then the one that you show in your picture. It has a well reinforced lip on the body side that the battery slips under. There is not enough room to weld like you show. I think that what i will do is massage the metal back there so that i can get contact on the upper edge of the tray. Then i should have something to weld to.

Thank you very much McMark. I knew someone would have pics of this.

Rex
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.