Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Marketing a unique property
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Part Pricer
My wife, who is a fairly successful Realtor, has approached me with a challenge on marketing a house/property that she has just listed here in Connecticut. The house is somewhat unique and has some very interesting features. This is where my wife thought that I could help.

First, here are the basics. It is a six bedroom antique home situated on just over two acres. It was built in 1787. I understand that it has some historical significance. The house has a two car detached garage.

Now, here is where it gets interesting. The guy that owns the property, besides being an old-timer, is a car buff. In addition to the garage, there are four other outbuildings on the property. Each outbuilding is heated and air-conditioned. Each building is also equipped with at least one lift and has a compressor for air tools. I haven’t been over there yet, but my wife believes that someone could easily store 20 to 25 cars in climate-controlled comfort.

I’m guessing that you really need to find just the right person for this house. So, my question becomes, “How do you market a property to attract a car buff that also wouldn’t mind living in a 200-year-old house?”

Is there someplace that people like this congregate? I’ve ruled out the 914 Club because the buyer for this property also would need to have some money to spend. ohmy.gif Are there any publications that serious collectors read?

Oh, almost forgot. We have very strict zoning laws. So, this property would have to remain a private home. There is no potential of using the property for any commercial endeavor.

Any ideas?
ArtechnikA
Hemmings ? DuPont Registry ?
andys
I've seen ads for "car enthusiast equipped" properties in both Autoweek and NSSN.

Andy
Toast
Rich and Popular people like places like this.
She Would need to marked it for "multiple car owner" property.
Im sure there is someone out there, but it may take a Long time to find him/her.
If the tools are removed and depending on the size of the detached buildings, they may be converted into seperate dwellings or something. confused24.gif

Good luck.

Still think your avitar is hillarious! laugh.gif
Carrera916
Jeez....

I wish I could own that....I'm originally from Conn myself but now in Califunny....until ???

Perhaps you or your wife could start calling the well known shops that deals with high end cars and see if they could post the ads in their shops. In the past when working for KAM Motorsports, I do see some interesting ads posted at my office, some properties, some shop equipments, etc...

Mind if I ask, where is that house? Northwestern side? Salisbury, Avon, ?

J
Part Pricer
start calling the well known shops that deals with high end cars and see if they could post the ads in their shops

Now that's a good idea!

The house is in Redding. Just over the NY border and about an hour from Lime Rock.
TimT
Im running out of excuses to stay on LI, I have two properties here that I could sell and get some coin idea.gif

You could also put up a notice at Lime Rock, on the bulletin board at the timing building etc..
bob174
Tell your wife that I'm willing to buy that property for $700 per garage. And I'll throw in $500 for the house.
Sparky
If it were in the Northeastern corner of CT I would be all over it. It's just up my alley I'm in a farm house that was moved to it current location in 1790. I'm just closing a deal on a new cape in central Mass. with a 2 car attached and building an additional 3 car detached.

Mike D.
lmcchesney
Yes, you could look for a car enthusists who is interested in moving to a new location. However, if like us, most of the money is already tied up. Why not create a car enthusist of someone with monies and looking for a way to use it. It was not uncommon for realtors in Calif. to place a Ferrari or Porsche in the garage to go with the house. You could help her find a reasonable collection of standards, 57 Chevy, 67 Mustang and of course 914 just to start. By the way, target the Westport, Fairfield area. Tired of the Merritt commute?
L. McC
campbellcj
The Wall Street Journal also carries ads for special properties such as this.

Given the description and location, I imagine it is not inexpensive -- are we talking $2mil-ish or is that way off base ?
campbellcj
I still haven't seen my parents' retirement place near Yosemite...not nearly as upscale as the place described above, but it does apparently have a 2500 sq. ft. storage building plus one or two smaller ones, and one smallish house, on 10 acres.

You can bet the wheels were turning in my mind as they described the place to me... happy11.gif
boxstr
You might want to try EBAY and Sports Car Market magazine, also the classifieds in Autoweek. I would check with HGTV, they have programs that feature unique properties that are for sale.
CCLINREALESTATEOFMIND
anthony
How about advertising in the local PCA, BMW Club, SCCA, Ferrari club, etc. newsletters?

Whoever buys this place could start a nice winter car storage business on the side!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.