Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is there a Buyer's FAQ??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BraunSC
Is there a buyer's FAQ for 914s like there is for 911s? I have heard about the Fat Man test, but need to know what else I should look for in a 914.

I'm looking for a cheap (define cheap! biggrin.gif ) 914 that I can wrench on. Doesn't have to be in great condition or anything special like a 914-6.

I know rust is usually a big issue, what parts of the car make it a deal breaker? I know the battery tray rusts a lot, I assume that can be fixed.

Also, what the heck is the difference between the cars with big black bumpers and those with the shiny chrome bumpers?

Many thanks!
Part Pricer
914 Buyer's Guide
BraunSC
QUOTE(Paul Heery @ Jun 7 2004, 12:28 PM)

Duh. headbang.gif
Thanks.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(BraunSC @ Jun 7 2004, 12:25 PM)

Also, what the heck is the difference between the cars with big black bumpers and those with the shiny chrome bumpers?

only cool guys/gals drive 914's with big black bumpers........cool_shades.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(BraunSC @ Jun 7 2004, 03:25 PM)

I'm looking for a cheap (define cheap!  :D ) 914 that I can wrench on.   Doesn't have to be in great condition or anything special like a 914-6.  

how much time spent wrenching vs. how much time spent driving ? wink.gif

the guide will tell you most of what you want to know... but it's all in the eyes of the beholder... I would not have a car that isn't solid and mostly rust free (right now anyway), because that's not something I want to fix right now... but other people are different.... they like welding welder.gif

no matter what, these cars are a cult... you'll spend all your money and time on them you can....
AZ914

In addition to being cool if you have big black bumpers... the other reason is that the 75-76 cars had those bumpers to meet U.S. 5-mph bumper guidelines. They add some weight to the car but they also help protect the car from some slow rolling mishaps.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
BraunSC
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jun 7 2004, 01:28 PM)

how much time spent wrenching vs. how much time spent driving ? wink.gif

he he. I wouldn't mind driving it a couple of times, before diving into something big. I have a 911 I really like, but it needs things I'd rather pay someone else to do...

I want a true project. Then again, I may delve into the 911 a bit more...
seanery
914s are more fun to drive than 911s. AND, they're more fun to drive than to build. smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(seanery @ Jun 7 2004, 04:45 PM)
914s are more fun to drive than 911s. AND, they're more fun to drive than to build. smile.gif

AND

you usually spend more time building them than driving them!

laugh.gif Andy

PS.: i'm just kidding, of course.
driving.gif
lmcchesney
Alright BraunSC, what gives. You have a 911 but would rather have others do the repairs. You are interested in a 914 but want guidance as to what to look for in a GOOD 914. You are thinking of 914 for a true project. OK, I get it. Your are a 911 owner wishing you could be a 914 terror, right? But are just a little embarsed to admit it.
BraunSC
QUOTE(lmcchesney @ Jun 7 2004, 04:32 PM)
Alright BraunSC, what gives. You have a 911 but would rather have others do the repairs. You are interested in a 914 but want guidance as to what to look for in a GOOD 914. You are thinking of 914 for a true project. OK, I get it. Your are a 911 owner wishing you could be a 914 terror, right? But are just a little embarsed to admit it.

He he. I would rather have someone else repaint my fuchs and re-cover my targa roof. Those projects have recipe for disaster written all over them (for me). biggrin.gif

Engine/mech stuff I'm hoping to do, but the 911 doesn't need much right now and I don't want to turn it into a DE monster.

I don't exactly know what I want out of a 914, other than maybe a bit more restoration. As far as a "good" one, I could buy one for super cheap and ultimately fix it enough to drive it, which would be cool. I just wanted to find out what is the upper (lower?) limit on rust issues.
lmcchesney
Everyone is looking for that 914-6 which was bought, shipped and kept at Furnace Creek Death Valley with the Borax wagons.
L. McC
grayson
When I got my first 914 the engine was quite strong and smooth, but the weather stripping was bad (and I bought it in winter) and was repainted without using a primer coat (and I think it was painted with a brush) plus it had a nice big dent in the quarter panel So I'd definately recommend checking to see how water proof the cabin and engine bay is (like if the grill has a rain cover for example).

Speaking of cheap 914's a buddy of mine is selling his for about $1800. Its a fixer but runs real good.
seanery
the big places are under the battery tray where it meets the firewall, longitudenals (sp?) and the right rear suspension ear.

The cowl is another that is a pain in the ass.
BraunSC
QUOTE(seanery @ Jun 7 2004, 06:13 PM)
the big places are under the battery tray where it meets the firewall, longitudenals (sp?) and the right rear suspension ear.

The cowl is another that is a pain in the ass.

How about the front suspension attachment points? I was told that needs help.

I am having a helluva a time with the search on this board, it keeps flaking on me.

Thanks!
type47
where in VA are you? if you're near DC, come to the pcapotomac.org meeting this saturday night (6/12) to see some of us (local 914 owners).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.