Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fire Extinguishers...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eric9144
So I've had a 1.25# Halon in my 914 for years, in fact I need to go and get it recharged...but what I'm wondering is, should I get a 2.5# extinguisher instead?

Looking @ that tiny 1.25 I'm just not sure if it's going to cut it or not (fortunately haven't been in a situation that needed it).

I'm starting to see other types too, like Halotron and I'm wondering--stick to the Halon or explore other options...

Throw in your 2 cents and let me know!
Thanks!
Elliot Cannon
I have a small Halon bottle in my car. It looks like Halitron is a replacement for Halon and is approved by the FAA Coast Guard etc. The problem with Halon is, it displaces the oxygen, so if you use it in a confined space, suffocation can be a problem. We used Halon in the airplanes I flew and were trained to make sure everyone has their oxygen mask on when using the Halon fire extinguisher, which is the first thing we would to anyway. (Duh!) At least in the car you can get out and get away. In a plane it takes awhile as some of my friends found out one day. A fire extinguisher is a good idea in ALL vehicles. The owner of this 914 might agree. A move to a bigger 2.5# I think would be wise.
eric9144
Seeing the picture on the right in another thread prompted this question...I think I'd have a very hard time seeing my 914 burn, I've known her longer than my wife and kids, for under $200 it's a "must"...
Bruce Hinds
One reason Halon is used in airplanes is that dry chemical is corrosive.... since airplanes and are all aluminum, it's real hard on the structure and the super fine powder gets in the radios/navigation gear.
Since most teener fires are due to fuel, dry chemical would be okay to carry if you don't want to spend the high dollars for halatron and/or can't get the halon.
Note: the dry chemical only becomes corrosive when the metal reaches some really high temperature like 300 degrees(not sure of the temp) but that's when the silicone in the dry chemical melts and is sticks.
eric9144
Is Halatron like Halon?

I'm a Systems Engineer in my 'real life' and every datacenter I've ever worked in has had full Halon fire suppression systems installed in them, so I have somewhat of a blind faith in the qualities it brings to that type of situation...

A 2.5# bottle is still under $200...but I do already have the 1.25 and could just refill it...
montoya 73 2.0
I was told that any and all halon that still exists is all that there will ever be. IIRC, they are no longer making Halon.
carr914
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ May 31 2011, 06:01 PM) *

I was told that any and all halon that still exists is all that there will ever be. IIRC, they are no longer making Halon.

agree.gif I didn't think it existed any more, as it ate the hole in the Ozone
jmill
I would never use a dry chemical extinguisher in a car. It gets everywhere. BTDT. It's better than burning to the ground but still messy as hell.
GeorgeRud
Foam is another option to halon and the like. They're getting popular with the RV crowd as a good altenative to halon and can be found in both automatic or hand held units.

Check out: http://www.gmccoop.com/fire_ext_.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.