Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 breather/puke bottle install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
campbellcj
I just got some ITG filters and a purty little puke bottle w/ breather. (argh, I need to find a deep 8mm socket to get the friggen stacks off the carbs so I can remove the stock air cleaner base.)

Anybody (JP, Olav, Andy?) have pics of their setup? Does it really matter where the bottle is mounted?
TimMartin
This 914/6 GT resource page has tons of pictures some of which show the design and placement of the oil-catch tanks.

http://fly.hiwaay.net/~jonlowe/

I looked at them carefully before i went to pick n' pull and osh to get the parts to make my tank

.tim
Mueller
For the Do It Yourselfer....

Oil Catch Can...make your own
olav
Here's mine. I think I made it from a RubberMaid...
J P Stein
Chris: Look here, scroll down
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t=ST&f=2&t=1254
campbellcj
Thanks once again guys...

Now I almost feel "guilty" for splurging for a nice alloy canister. cool_shades.gif
Brad Roberts
JAZ makes a nice plastic one that has a big K+N filter on it and several "blank" spots for A/N fittings.

Something I dont see... a way to drain it back into the engine.

Chris,

did you have an issue with oil blow by while driving the car on the track ?? Normally the smaller displacement engines are not that bad with a K+N hanging off the tank.

B
Gint
I'm curious. I don't know which line you guys are all sending off to a catch can. My /6 has a line from the top of the tank that goes back to the top of the motor. Are you taking that line off and running it to the catch can? Or is it that vent that I have under the tank that has some stupid filter off of it that has a drain hole in the bottom and leaks oil all over the bottom of my motor? I'll get pics.

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not gettin it.
Brad Roberts
Second line that comes off the oil filler Mikey.. It pukes oil everywhere after 20-30 minutes of hard driving. Most people put a small K+N on the filler line. It doesnt stop the oil vapor from covering the engine.

Your car has a line that runs to the bottom of the air cleaner.

B
Gint
You mean this one? I don't have any line going to my air filter. I have indiviual K&N's.
Gint
Yeah, that's the one that comes off of the filler neck.

I'll have to do something with that as well. I don't want any more oil on the bottom of this thing when it goes back together. I HATE that.
Lawrence
[QUOTE]I just got some ITG filters and a purty little puke bottle w/ breather.[QUOTE]

Hi Chris,

Got a picture of the ITG filters?

-Rusty
Brad Roberts
Yep.. Mikey.. that is supposed to go to the bottom of the factory6 air cleaner. If you have the Weber splash shields... you wont have a place to put it.. and you will have to build/buy a splash can.

ITG:

Rusty.. I cant find a pic of race engine we have.. We run ITG also.

B
J P Stein
I looked at a couple-3 stock 6ers over the years prior to doing my conversion. All of them had oil all over the engine compartment. All had a breather/filter mounted on the tank filler/vent .
Each had been modified rather than have the hoses running to the carb air filter.

When I did mine, I didn't want oil in the engine room or have it go into the carbs....thus the catch can.
During normal street driving, the tank stays dry. When I started seriously autocrossing, it began to pumping out a fair amount of oil.....as much as 6-8 oz per event. High rpms and tank slosh, I figure.
As an engine ages overpressure in the crankcase increases.....it's gotta go somewhere.
Brad Roberts
I'm lazy. I have a long hose dumping into the rear trunk of the 3.0 914/6. I would rathed clean up the oil vapor mess in the trunk (without carpet) than clean the engine. I clean it before every road course event and it is fine. Not much pukeing going on with the hose from the filler being 3 feet long.

B
Lawrence
Brad, thanks for checking.

Mikey, when I get home, I'll snap some pictures for you of the stock /6 air cleaner underside.

-Rusty
fuch toy
What about a firewall mounted bicycle water cage and bottle? The can be easily removed and is secure.
J P Stein
The catch can also needs to be vented.
Without a filter IN the can, oil vapor will vent out of the can... The can will just catch the lumps. I drilled holes in the top of the mixed nuts jar and fitted a piece of foam below them for more flitration.....could be overkill. confused24.gif
campbellcj
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Apr 19 2003, 09:20 AM)
Got a picture of the ITG filters?

Now I do...(crappy pic though, it's very bright out today).
campbellcj
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 19 2003, 09:00 AM)
did you have an issue with oil blow by while driving the car on the track ?? Normally the smaller displacement engines are not that bad with a K+N hanging off the tank.

I ran a stock air cleaner setup last weekend. The ITG's just got here yesterday.

The whole car was fairly grimy/oily last weekend, seeing as it was still being wrenched-on about 10 hours before I left for the track. I need to do some thorough "CW" cleaning and then check for leaks, wire chafing, loose clamps, etc. So far so good though...I just got back from a long canyon drive on Mullholland/Decker/Encinal. Zero probs.
seanery
Are those basically just a piece of foam inside of a metal frame?
Can't quite tell fer sure.
Gint
Those look pretty sweet Chris. How much did they set ya back? Do they pull right off after removing the clips?
campbellcj
There is a thin base plate that bolts down to the carbs; then the filters are attached with Dzus fasteners. They are super quick to pop off/on. They are foam filters as opposed to gauze (K&N). The frame is molded plastic of some flavor. Everything I've read says that these filters are superior to K&N. I don't recall the exact cost but they are about the same as K&N's and not as much as those fancy Wolford (sp?) billet things that JP has.

http://www.itgairfilters.com/

It's a UK mfr with several US distributors; I bought 'em from Pegasus.
Brad Roberts
They "by far" out flow any K+N on the dyno. They suck in the rain...LOL

They pull air from the top and sides unlike a K+N with splash shields pulling from the sides.

They look great Chris.

B
campbellcj
I opted for the trunk installation. It gets it out of the way of the engine compartment and is a pretty straight shot for the hose/tube. Seems like a nice little bottle -- AN fitting, drain petcock and easily removable/cleanable.
Jeroen
Hey Chris,

That's a nice one! Where'd you get it?

cheers,

Jeroen
Brad Roberts
http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/

B
Jeroen
Brad, go to bed!
biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
Brad Roberts
I got a good 4 hours of sleep. This week will be hectic getting SSI cleaned up.

B
JmuRiz
I am still trying to grasp the catch-can idea. Where do the hoses in and out of the can go? I have a breather on my 2.0 4 cylinder car that the Prev Owner installed (right next to the oil filler), always seems to be oily...would a catch can attach where this is located? Thanks, just trying to understand all this stuff.

Nathan
Brad Roberts
Nathan,

On a 4cyl car:

We mount them up high. 3 inputs (1. right head breather 2. left head breather 3. line from breather) then you have a drain back.

The one your seeing on Chris' car only has one line from the 6 oil tank going to it. He will have to drain it on his own every once in awhile.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.