Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine build question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
My endplay is .09 before the spacers and flywheel bolt on. The 3 spacers measure .004. Ultimately leaving me with .05 end play. Is this OK? Seems like a lot.
charliew
Do you mean .005? as in 5 thousandths or .050 as in 50 thousandths? 50 thousandths is probably about 44 thousandths too much.
McMark
I've found that the best way to measure everything is to bolt everything together with 3 spacers and then measure the endplay. Better to install and measure 2 or 3 times, then to add up measurement errors, or make slightly incorrect assumptions.

wink.gif
76-914
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 3 2011, 05:22 PM) *

I've found that the best way to measure everything is to bolt everything together with 3 spacers and then measure the endplay. Better to install and measure 2 or 3 times, then to add up measurement errors, or make slightly incorrect assumptions.

wink.gif

Thx, that was my guess. I should end up w/ .003 after the shims
majkos
what's your test tool?

Dave_Darling
I hope it's a good dial indicator. I tried using the feeler-gauge setup, and did not like the variability of the results.

--DD
76-914
QUOTE(majkos @ Jun 4 2011, 09:13 PM) *

what's your test tool?

Hey Kev, I'm using everything but the kit sink. blink.gif Dial indicator, feeler gages, digital calipers, you name it. The more I can confuse myself now the more excuses I'll have for later. lol-2.gif How's the new digs? Did you get moved in?

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 4 2011, 11:23 PM) *

I hope it's a good dial indicator. I tried using the feeler-gauge setup, and did not like the variability of the results.

--DD

Good point. I've already discovered the feelers don't like rough surfaces.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.