Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speaking of Rebuilds
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
newdeal2
I have a 74 2 Liter with a tired [but good] original FI and the compression is down a bit on at least 2 of the 4. I am surprised at how well it runs even with the various leaks.

I am planning to do my very first rebuild [not complete mind you] and want to start out replacing the pistons w/Mahle flat tops, new push rod tubes and seals, rebuilt heads w/all new valves, springs, etc. I am sending out the heads locally but will supply the parts. In addition I am going to renew the seals and gaskets on the tranny and go thru the FI systems seals, etc. Last but not least I have a pair of like new SS Heat Exchangers from a 1.7 and plan to convert from the 2.0 since they are getting ragged.

Is this a lame approach???
Rusty
Hi! (don't know your name... but consider building a signature so we don't have to call you "dude")

Sounds like a good approach, but be careful who you send your heads to. T4 heads are tricky, and a half-assed machine shop (even a VW machine shop) can cause more damage than they are worth.

Also, don't buy rebuild parts until you actually spec out your parts. If your crank or cams need to be reground & hardened, you could be looking at non-std bearings.

hope this helps,
-L
Rusty
Oh... just thought of more.

1. Consider having your engine cooling tin sand blasted and powder coated. If you're a DIY guy, it's easy, and the powdercoating kit pays for itself after the first one or two uses.

2. Seals on the tranny are easy enough. Gaskets, on the other hand, can be tricky (especially the end cover or intermediate plate). Do a search for transmission rebuild and check out some of the stuff in the archives.

-L
MattR
If you're going with new pistons you might consider going with 96mm KB pistons available form www.aircooled.net. They will yeild a larger displacement (2056cc) and is a popluar combination for a little more power. You will have to get your cylinders honed, but you would probably have to do that anyways with new pistons.

Any engine machine work you have done can be done at RimcoVW in santa ana, CA. You would have to ship your stuff to them, but its no problem for them. www.rimcovw.com

Another area of concern is cams and lifters. Lifters definatly wear down, so you will almost definatly need to replace those. Depending on your budget there are different ways to go. I'll let some real engine guys chime in now. Good luck!

By the way, make the first thing on your shopping list Jake Raby's Type 4 rebuild video. Its probably the most important tool and it will answer most of your questions. www.aircooledtechnology.com for more info.
McMark
On a sort of side note, it would be nice if we could get flat top or domed KBs. The valve releif isn't necessary and reduces your combustion ratio.
Jake Raby
KB requires a huge order to buy pistons, like 100 sets at a time. Not many of us have capital to do that so we all have to network just to get our 96s done...

The KB 96 is very close to a Ford 2300 piston, so it was easier to get them talked into making them... The Ford 2300 is widely used.

The 94mm isn't that lucky
newdeal2
I already have a newset of Mahle flat tops w/cylinders...any reason NOT to use these?

Peter
Jake Raby
Nope, they are good..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.