Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aircooled Assault - photos and video
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
poorsche914
Here are some pics I took at Jake's show today. Quite a variety of vehicles - VWs, Porsches, and Pinzgauers.
The 914 contingent was well represented... at least in person. I talked to several teeners who didn't bring their car because of the dreaded jackstand syndrome dry.gif
There were two 914s at the show - a white '74 (see pic and video below) and Al's Gulf blue and orange '74.

Brent's beautiful stock '64 Ghia (for sale)
Click to view attachment

Single cab
Click to view attachment
poorsche914
Several vehicles at the show
Click to view attachment

Type 181
Click to view attachment
poorsche914
A hand-built Pinzgauer
Click to view attachment

Another custom Pinzgauer
Click to view attachment
poorsche914
Jake's fleet of military vehicles
Click to view attachment

Jake running a dyno demonstration
Click to view attachment
poorsche914
An Outlaw 356
Click to view attachment

More Outlaw
Click to view attachment
poorsche914
Outlaw leaving the show
Click to view attachment

Gorgeous 912 (won Best of Show)
poorsche914
Two more of the 912
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
poorsche914
And finally... a 914 (found out after the show that this is actually a Creamsicle!!!)
Click to view attachment

On the dyno
Click to view attachment
poorsche914
Video of 914 on the dyno.
Can you guess what engine this beast has?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slgD7dcYe-s
AndyB
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Jun 5 2011, 09:16 PM) *

Obviously this one should of been a winner
poorsche914
QUOTE(Scarlet75 @ Jun 5 2011, 09:21 PM) *

Oops, the title gives it away.
Running an LS1.
He was lucky Jake let him anywhere near the dyno blink.gif
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Scarlet75 @ Jun 5 2011, 06:21 PM) *

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Jun 5 2011, 09:16 PM) *

The event was strictly aircooled, however I allowed the owner to bring the car into the show becuse it was well built and added a contrast to the event.. When we had a break on the dyno I told the owner that he could see what it would do. The owner was very understanding that he was just there for exhibition.

We had a great time and we are already planning for the 2012 event now..

"King Of The Mountain" Went to lee Street who put down 430 RWHP in yesterday's portion of the event! That was done with 4 cylinders and no radiator. :-)

Hell, my double cab with a 2.7 EFI MassIVe engine put down 161 RWHP!
jmill
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jun 5 2011, 08:29 PM) *

Hell, my double cab with a 2.7 EFI MassIVe engine put down 161 RWHP!

Now that would be a cool video to see. I'm a sucker for double cabs.
t collins
Maybe this will hold you until I can figure how to post vids

ripper911
If I didn't have to work I would have been there. sad.gif I wouldn't win any awards with my daily driven (becoming more beaterish every day) 914 but it could have been there for contrast.

Were there 928s or a 968 there? On the way back to the office around 6:30ish I saw two 928s (white, black) and a 968 (blue) headed south through Atlanta, I wondered if they went up there or something... even though they are front engined water-pumpers. stick.gif Cool cars if they didn't have radiators...

jmill
QUOTE(t collins @ Jun 5 2011, 08:51 PM) *

Maybe this will hold you until I can figure how to post vids

That is sweet. Thanks for the pic. That'll hold me for a bit.

I had a 64 Kombi with safari windows, bus boys select-a-drop, reduction boxes removed and a 1914cc engine. Still on the lookout for a clean double cab like that. They're hard to find and beyond my price range.
messix
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Jun 5 2011, 06:57 PM) *

If I didn't have to work I would have been there. sad.gif I wouldn't win any awards with my daily driven (becoming more beaterish every day) 914 but it could have been there for contrast.

Were there 928s or a 968 there? On the way back to the office around 6:30ish I saw two 928s (white, black) and a 968 (blue) headed south through Atlanta, I wondered if they went up there or something... even though they are front engined water-pumpers. stick.gif Cool cars if they didn't have radiators...

Jake abhors anything that uses water to cool an engine.... he just barely chokes down working on a certain modern water cooled mid-engine car [boxsters] to make money to subsidise his addiction to air cooled endeavors.
ripper911
QUOTE(messix @ Jun 6 2011, 02:22 AM) *

Jake abhors anything that uses water to cool an engine....

Me too.
Jake Raby
This event was strictly AirCooled... The watercooled event is yet to come!!

I believe in keeping the two a bit separate! We even do this in our work areas here.
URY914
Damn I would have loved to bring my massIVe powered 914 up to the show. But with no job it was a no go. sad.gif Maybe next time.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 6 2011, 04:55 AM) *

Damn I would have loved to bring my massIVe powered 914 up to the show. But with no job it was a no go. sad.gif Maybe next time.

Paul,
It would have been great to have it on the dyno!! I remember that engine so well and sold it to you before I owned the chassis dyno... I'd like some data from it!

It was a great show.. This is certainly going to be an annual event that our owners and believers can plan on for years to come!
nsr-jamie
drooley.gif

Someday I will make it to one of your show's Jake!! It just might take a couple of years, but someday !! It might be like in 2017 or so though

beer.gif
URY914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jun 6 2011, 06:49 AM) *

Paul,
It would have been great to have it on the dyno!! I remember that engine so well and sold it to you before I owned the chassis dyno... I'd like some data from it!

It was a great show.. This is certainly going to be an annual event that our owners and believers can plan on for years to come!

Jake, having a few pulls on your dyno would have been nice. That will be something for me to look forward to next time.

Paul
Jake Raby
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 6 2011, 09:01 AM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jun 6 2011, 06:49 AM) *

Paul,

Jake, having a few pulls on your dyno would have been nice. That will be something for me to look forward to next time.

Paul

You'll be welcome!!
t collins
Cross your fingers.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKhJyUOzbUg
rfuerst911sc
Jake I want to thank you for hosting this event I had a good time. And thanks for the Autronics ECU ! biggrin.gif
t collins
agree.gif and don't forget the great BBQ chowtime.gif
yeahmag
Jake,

Your double cab sounds mean as hell!
JmuRiz
Very cool, I'm a sucker for a double cab...not to mention one that hauls butt in addition to cargo.
t collins
Jake's 2.4 that will soon go in his 356 Outlaw
Click to view attachment
Jake Raby
The Double Cab is a true beast.. It drives so damn good with the 923 5 speed transaxle. The behavior of the 2.7 liter engine is what I'd expect based on it's combination.

It has more left in it.. Its not tuned at all in the video.

The 356 engine is a 2.4, it made 224HP @ 9:1 CR on pump gas.. True Outlaws begin at 200HP!
Zimms
Jake,

That was a great event. It was great to meet so many people. Lots of 914 owners without their cars! I am looking forward to the next one, and hopefully I'll bring the right car next time.

You weren't kidding about the roads in your area. I was kicking myself for having the truck.

Mark

Click to view attachment
nsr-jamie
Did you do one of those destructive engine runs on the dyno until the engine blew up? That would be an interesting video to see, though ,,,,very sad I think
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jun 6 2011, 02:18 PM) *

The Double Cab is a true beast.. It drives so damn good with the 923 5 speed transaxle. The behavior of the 2.7 liter engine is what I'd expect based on it's combination.

It has more left in it.. Its not tuned at all in the video.

The 356 engine is a 2.4, it made 224HP @ 9:1 CR on pump gas.. True Outlaws begin at 200HP!

Woah nelly, a 356 with that much power will be a rocketship!
Mine has about 100hp from a 1720 and it feels good for street driving, I can't imagine one with more than 2x the power.

Good stuff...and a cheaper route than a Polo motor wink.gif
Not cheap enough for me to afford, but still biggrin.gif
Jake Raby
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Jun 7 2011, 07:32 AM) *

Did you do one of those destructive engine runs on the dyno until the engine blew up? That would be an interesting video to see, though ,,,,very sad I think

Not sad at all to kill an engine.. It was not healthy enough for street use at all and was worn out. I loved holding the Nitrous button down and inducing death!
barada
Hate we couldn't make it. I had the entire gang all fired up about it and then one after the other fell out.
Looks like a good time. There was a VW gathering at AMS so we saw plenty of cool VW's all weekend down here.
Jake Raby
Here is an awesome video produced by a member of the local VW Club.. Bob did a great job illustrating the events of the show, our property and the RAT Compound!

http://vimeo.com/24789585

It was a great time, just wait till next year!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.