Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fan cooled remote oil cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zx-niner
I'm in the process of converting my remote oil cooler to fan cooled. After thinking about the wiring with a thermo-switch on the cooler outlet, I asked myself "Why" since I have an oil-bypass thermostat after the oil filter. What's wrong with wiring the fan to run all the time, allowing the by-pass thermostat to control oil temperature?
VaccaRabite
Longer warmup for the oil. The thermostats usually all have oil moving to keep the cooler filled. Otherwise you could suddenly have low to no pressure as it filled.

Zach
SLITS
I run a thermostat controlled fan on my six ... kicks the fan at 185.
tradisrad
Steve,
I run a thermo swith with my fan and the fan comes on just above 180. I also added an LED to my temp gague that indicates when the fan is on. I could have placed the light a little higher; the needle clears the light in the event I get that hot.
Click to view attachment
914 shifter
did you guys go with the sandwich adapter or full flow/remote setup ? is your stock cooler still part of your oiling system ? how is your oil pressure at high rpm ? unsure.gif
Valy
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Jun 8 2011, 07:34 AM) *

Steve,
I run a thermo swith with my fan and the fan comes on just above 180. I also added an LED to my temp gague that indicates when the fan is on. I could have placed the light a little higher; the needle clears the light in the event I get that hot.
Click to view attachment

I would do something about that low voltage!! ~11V
tradisrad

I would do something about that low voltage!! ~11V

in the picture the car is not running and my optima was dying (internal short).With a new battery (warranty replacement), altenator and voltage regulator I now have much better voltage 13+ under load.

914shifter, check this thread. I used a sandwich adapter that has an inclusive t-stat.
Joe Owensby
I used the sandwich adapter that has an internal thermostat. Keeps oil from going to the cooler when engine is cold. I have a Mocal fan that I allow to run all the time in the summer. During winter months, I just disconnect the fan, since there is no need to run it. I had good intentions of installing a thermostat control for the fan, but just haven't gotten around to doing it for the last 2 years. JoeO
VaccaRabite
By the way, one of the best oil cooler threads on world is located here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=108328

if your thinking of doing this, its a good place to start looking.

Zach
zx-niner
I already have a remote oil cooler installed, I'm just upgrading from the natural convection to forced air. I've seen temperatures getting a bit higher than I want during normal driving. I like Joe's way, much simpler. The remote thermostat already by-passes to get heat into the oil, and I'm less worried about oil being too cold here in California than about it getting to hot.

What's in there now:
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

For those that asked, this is a full-flow system, no sandwich adapter. I still have the stock oil cooler, too.
McMark
Functionally, you don't need it. The cooler won't be cooling the oil until the thermostat opens (technically it closes, but that's a different subject).

I like installing them for nit-picky reasons such as hearing a loud fan before the engine starts and having the fan running when you turn on the key to do anything. I probably run into this more than the driver of the car since I turn the key on more frequently for troubleshooting.

This is the one that I've used in the past. It's adjustable, it's got a relay, it's got a fuse, and it's only $50.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(zx-niner @ Jun 8 2011, 08:15 PM) *

I already have a remote oil cooler installed, I'm just upgrading from the natural convection to forced air. I've seen temperatures getting a bit higher than I want during normal driving. I like Joe's way, much simpler. The remote thermostat already by-passes to get heat into the oil, and I'm less worried about oil being too cold here in California than about it getting to hot.

What's in there now:
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

For those that asked, this is a full-flow system, no sandwich adapter. I still have the stock oil cooler, too.

I can't give a good answer on how/what's the best thermo-controlled fan (since mine is just an on-off switch in my cabin) but I have to say that's one GREAT looking motor.

What are the specs, looks very trick with full-flow and the tangerine headers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.