Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pressing in 100mm wheel studs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Phoenix-MN
confused24.gif So, I'm installing 100mm wheel studs on my front 911 hubs to use with spacers. Stock ones press out easily and I start to press in the 100mm ones. After I get 3 pressed in the spacer still slides on and fits. After installing the 4th it starts to bind just a bit. After pressing in the 5th stud, the spacer will no longer slide on . They don't press in exactly perpendicular to the hub face and the spacer will not slide over the studs now. For those who have actually done this what's the trick in getting these pressed in straight?

Thanks
Paul
SirAndy
QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Jun 8 2011, 06:52 PM) *
For those who have actually done this what's the trick in getting these pressed in straight?

They will straighten out the first time you torque them down. If you can't get the spacer on right now, put it over one stud at the time and use a open end steel lug-nut to torque each one down. That will seat the stud correctly and they should work fine after that.

The holes, backside of the hub around the holes and and the lower part of the stud have to be perfectly clean! Any dirt will prevent the stud from seating correctly ...
smash.gif
rick 918-S
I didn't have the luxury of having a 911 front end. I drilled my hubs on my drill press. I used a drift to install the 100mm studs and used my spacer to align them. Even the wheels are a little snug to the holes but not an issue. I have thousands of road miles on mine.
Randal
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 8 2011, 07:07 PM) *

For those who have actually done this what's the trick in getting these pressed in straight?

They will straighten out the first time you torque them down. If you can't get the spacer on right now, put it over one stud at the time and use a open end steel lug-nut to torque each one down. That will seat the stud correctly and they should work fine after that.

The holes, backside of the hub around the holes and and the lower part of the stud have to be perfectly clean! Any dirt will prevent the stud from seating correctly ...
smash.gif

I second what Andy said.

I used a big torque gun on mine and lots of washers to get them to seat.
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 8 2011, 06:07 PM) *

smash.gif

Thanks Sir, seating each one did the trick piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

Paul
jaxdream
I made a fixture to use on my press ( I am fortunate to own one ) to press studs into and out of front or rear hubs .Works great as I robbed studs from a set of 928 hubs ( 78 mm ) to press into my 5 lug conversion hubs .
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.