Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aha moment >Can You ID the Source of this Gas Leak in These Photos?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
c12croft
There, at the base of the Weber 40's, at the base of the passenger side carb throat was wet with gas. Huh? Engine has not run in two weeks.
Photo #1
Click to view attachment
and > gas found at base of throat at engine head
Click to view attachment
Close up just as carb throat attaches to engine head
Click to view attachment
Could it be a drip from above? (after sitting for two weeks??)

Versus the Driver side carb which was dry of gas at same location:
Click to view attachment
and
Click to view attachment

There's no constant drip, just wetness at the indicated areas that are giving off the fumes that will get me evicted from inside storage.
Larger view,
thanks
70_914
I always had trouble getting my Dellortos sealed to the intake manifold, and got gas running down my manifolds. That's what I get for polishing my manifolds...

Did you polish the mating surfaces with sandpaper on glass?
c12croft
No, I did not polish or mess with the manifolds in any way.
Can anyone advise me as to why there would be gas here without the car running for over two weeks?
thanks for your comments.
VaccaRabite
Webers have freeze plugs which will weep fuel when they are failing. That could be your issue.

I used to wonder why mine had epoxy on the plugs. A year after I cleaned the carbs and the epoxy came off I noticed the leak. The plugs are on the engine side of the carbs. From there the fuel can dribble down the manifolds to the heads.

Zach
Cap'n Krusty
Have you even considered the possibility that the carbs leak? They do that, you know. Or maybe you don't. With astonishing regularity.

The Cap'n
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 14 2011, 12:21 PM) *

Webers have freeze plugs which will weep fuel when they are failing. That could be your issue.

They're not really freeze plugs but...
We routinely take them out and replace them with threaded plugs. I've seen too many fall out and dump fuel all over.
r_towle
checked your float settings and needle valves lately?
Dirty needle valve that wont close will just let gas in till it overlflows the bowl...
poorly set floats do the same thing, and most floats are wrong that I have seen.
Rich
John
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 14 2011, 08:21 AM) *

I used to wonder why mine had epoxy on the plugs. A year after I cleaned the carbs and the epoxy came off I noticed the leak. The plugs are on the engine side of the carbs. From there the fuel can dribble down the manifolds to the heads.

Zach

+1 On the small lead plugs in the sides of the float bowls.

Had 2 come out at Watkins Glenn about 22 years ago. As luck would have it, the guy in the next garage stall actually had some new ones. Staked the new ones in and problem was solved.

VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jun 14 2011, 12:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 14 2011, 12:21 PM) *

They're not really freeze plugs but...
We routinely take them out and replace them with threaded plugs. I've seen too many fall out and dump fuel all over.

This is something I need to do to my 40s before I install your linkage. Gould you give me a parts list of things I need to do the job? It is as simple as an NPT tap and the correct sized plug?

Zach
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 14 2011, 07:36 PM) *

This is something I need to do to my 40s before I install your linkage. Gould you give me a parts list of things I need to do the job? It is as simple as an NPT tap and the correct sized plug?

Zach

Not NPT. 3/8-24 stainless set screws, permanently retained and sealed with red loctite.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.