Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Probably adding another YEAR to my conversion but....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RiqueMar
Well, almost done with this conversion (then again, I've been perpetually 'almost done' for 2 years) and the engine will be going in sometime in the next 2 weeks. 2.7 made into 2.9, carbs, engine rebuild about 15k-20k miles ago, etc, etc.

Ok, lets just make a few assumptions for a moment. Suppose that I have a few parts that I just found in a bin, and also, suppose that in that bin there happens to be a Clewett engineering crank trigger system with the coil packs. Should I supposedly add it to my project? Any feedback on this system? Likes? Dislikes? Is this too much for the street?
jmill
If you keep the carbs I say keep the dizzy and drive the heck out of it. If you choose to go FI that's another story..
r_towle
Why would you not????

Rich
proto31
I'd keep the dizzy, it's reliable and works well, adding additional electronics just adds additional headaches. Nice system but it won't really help out all that much. Just make sure the dizzy is in good shape, no excessive wobble etc. I know Ron Slitts can get them rebuilt pretty inexpensively, might want to call him.

Dan
RiqueMar
I'm inclined to keep the dizzy and I totally agree about the reliability, it's proven.

I wonder what the gains would be under a motor with carbs? idea.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jun 16 2011, 01:21 PM) *

I'm inclined to keep the dizzy and I totally agree about the reliability, it's proven.

Motor with carbs = more greenhouse gasses + more money out of your pocket due to rotten gas mileage plus you can't go to the RRC as you would have to retune the carbs to make 13.5K feet.

Crank triggered ignition is really spiffy ... dead ass on & no spark scatter + the electromotive system is a "wasted spark" system.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 16 2011, 03:33 PM) *

Motor with carbs = more greenhouse gasses + more money out of your pocket due to rotten gas mileage plus you can't go to the RRC as you would have to retune the carbs to make 13.5K feet.

Crank triggered ignition is really spiffy ... dead ass on & no spark scatter + the electromotive system is a "wasted spark" system.

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to be making it to RRC this year Slits, the Rennsport Reunion is like a month after that, and closer.
Series9
My vote is 100% add the crank-fire ignition.

If you're keeping the carbs, take all the ignition help you can get.
Eric_Shea
What she said.
SLITS
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jun 16 2011, 04:27 PM) *

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to be making it to RRC this year Slits, the Rennsport Reunion is like a month after that, and closer.

I'd rather go to RRC .... no matter how bad the hotel is that Silva arranges.
76-914

RRC, RRC, RRC. No admission, fantastic cars, great entertainment and a good group of people. (I've got friends in low places, sing it) And probably the number one reason to go. You won't see any Rolexes at RRC. beerchug.gif
J P Stein
If your doing carbs (& cams), keep the dizzy & add an MSD 6AL set-up.....hi-vibration coil, Magnacore 8.5 mm wires, & NGK copper plugs gapped to .045-.050.

The Ford coils don't have enough voltage to burn thru the rich mixture provided by carbs....but hay, what do I know? Ask a real expert. I'd recommend Steve Wiener.

BTW, are you sure you want a 2.9L? If you already have it, forget I asked.
SLITS
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 17 2011, 07:24 AM) *

RRC, RRC, RRC. No admission, fantastic cars, great entertainment and a good group of people. (I've got friends in low places, sing it) And probably the number one reason to go. You won't see any Rolexes at RRC. beerchug.gif

Hell yeah ya'll .... they don't serve chilled Cassadores either. Also, our women are real and not siliconed, tucked, botex babies.
GeorgeRud
If you have one, add the Electromotive ignition - the spark is truly dead on every time (if you check with a timing light, you might be surprised at teh difference). You can always all the crank trigger wheel and sensor mount, and all the rest in the future if you want.

I have had this system for years and it does a very nice job on my 2.7 with Webers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.