Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 916 Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
joshbsilvey
Can anyone point me in the right direction to where I can find information on how to convert my 914 into a 916? not a 914/6 but a 916.
kits available?
threads posted that I cant find?
other websites I've missed?
Is this even feasible or am I just being dumb?

Thx
r_towle
front and rear bumpers are available at Getty, AIR and others.
Roof, well you need to search here for welded roof or welding on a steel roof.

That is the difference aside from the leather interior.

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(joshbsilvey @ Jun 21 2011, 09:42 AM) *

Can anyone point me in the right direction to where I can find information on how to convert my 914 into a 916? not a 914/6 but a 916.
kits available?
threads posted that I cant find?
other websites I've missed?

Thx

The 916 bumpers are available as aftermarket products. But be aware that there are HUGE quality differences between those items. The good quality repros are very hard to find.

I should know as i have 916 bumpers on my car. The rear one i have is a perfect match, the front one is junk compared to a real 916. In fact, most front bumpers i have seen are simply junk.
dry.gif

Besides that, you need the FG rocker panels, a set of steel flares and a welded in metal top.

Do a search here about the solid roof, several people have done this.

Then there's the original 916 interior. I'm not sure i would ever want to go that route. It looked like someone at Porsche was on a acid trip at the time.

Trying to locate a 916 transmission could proof nearly impossible. They are out there, but usually not for sale.
Then there's the engine. That can be reproduced fairly easy if you have the funds.

Here's a list of the 11 original 916s:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...ns&byType=4

biggrin.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 21 2011, 05:54 PM) *

Then there's the original 916 interior. I'm not sure i would ever want to go that route. It looked like someone at Porsche was on a acid trip at the time.

IMHO you can't talk about "the original 916 interior". There were several different 916 interior styles, only #0012 (seat inlays) and #0017 had these weird ones.

Loser_Cruiser
That's a funky interior! I like.

Bugat5speed is producing a 916 conversion kit for the 915 transmission. I really want to get my hands on that but re exchange rate is horrible right now. Because of that I'm leaning towards the wevo.

The steel roof and authenticity of the transmission would be the largest most expensive hurdles I imagine.
carr914
The WEVO kit for the 915 is better than the Factory or Velios ( Which kinda copied the 916)

The Engine is the easy part.

The Interior you could in Leather

As Andy said the difference in the Bumpers are Huge. I used to have a Factory Rear - all the Repros just don't look the same

The Metal Roof is the tough part, unless you have some fabrication skills like Dan root.

Of course, you could buy the car that Dan did his Steel-Roof on (& I used to own) - it's in Vegas now
carr914
QUOTE(joshbsilvey @ Jun 21 2011, 12:42 PM) *

Is it feasible?, how deep are your pockets?

I would venture to say that would spend at $35k plus your car to do it right

T.C.
JmuRiz
It would also be correct to use an MFI 2.4 S motor, right?
carr914
I believe some of the 916s had a 2.7
Gustl
some had the 2.4 S (190 HP), other had the 2.7 RS (210 HP)
joshbsilvey
What about suspension and breaks?
So far, all I've heard is about Engine, Transmission, Solid roof, and fender flares...
Ive seen the 916 tranny conversion kits on european sites...looks doable.
has anyone done a conversion like this on these forums?
Thx again smile.gif
Root_Werks
I was never a big fan of the painted 916 bumpers, but here is the 914 T.C. mentioned that was "converted" to a 916 look with steel roof:

Gustl
QUOTE(joshbsilvey @ Jun 21 2011, 09:23 PM) *

What about suspension and breaks?

suspension is more or less like the 914-6 with the M475 option (Bilstein shocks and vented breaks front and rear), but a little more comfortable adjustment
further more the M404 (anti roll bars, front 14 mm and rear 16 mm)
7x15" Fuchs rims all around with 185/70 15 tyres
wheel spacers (something about 21mm, from my best knowledge)

don't forget about the front oil cooler!

beerchug.gif
Loser_Cruiser
Curious as to where this comparison of the wevo versus the factory style conversions came from. I am in the parts hoarding stage of my 3.6 915 build an the transmission conversion is one of the components I'm trying to gather as much information on. Thanks!

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 21 2011, 11:04 AM) *

The WEVO kit for the 915 is better than the Factory or Velios ( Which kinda copied the 916)

As Andy said the difference in the Bumpers are Huge. I used to have a Factory Rear - all the Repros just don't look the same

The Metal Roof is the tough part, unless you have some fabrication skills like Dan root.

Of course, you could buy the car that Dan did his Steel-Roof on (& I used to own) - it's in Vegas now

Loser_Cruiser
This is what I was considering

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=102988

I like just about everything about the 916 but the front bumper
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jun 21 2011, 10:23 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 21 2011, 05:54 PM) *

IMHO you can't talk about "the original 916 interior". There were several different 916 interior styles, only #0012 (seat inlays) and #0017 had these weird ones.

Dont laugh BUT Porsche was inspired by the 917 (chassis 043) "Hippie" paint scheme for that particular 914 interior. Roger Sheridan was also on his race car exterior. Paint looks much better than fabric.

Look on the bright side at least no one was inspired to do an interior based on the SERA 917 "Pink Pig".
carr914
Simple, the WEVO is a kit to convert the 915 to a Rear Tranny, it is a much improved Version of what Velios was trying to do, which was to copy the 916 Rear TailCone/Housing. The WEVO has Modern Materials and I've never seen anything made by WEVO that wasn't Top-Notch

QUOTE(Loser_Cruiser @ Jun 21 2011, 04:54 PM) *

Curious as to where this comparison of the wevo versus the factory style conversions came from. I am in the parts hoarding stage of my 3.6 915 build an the transmission conversion is one of the components I'm trying to gather as much information on. Thanks!

Loser_Cruiser

Oh ok, I can believe it's better than the velios kit but how is it better than the factory is what I'm really truly to lock down. Bugat5spd kit replicates the factory sidshift conversion of the 915, just like the 914 sidshift did for the tailshift version. I dot know who has run both, I would think the sideshift would eliminate some linkage making it a better design.
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 22 2011, 04:09 AM) *

Simple, the WEVO is a kit to convert the 915 to a Rear Tranny, it is a much improved Version of what Velios was trying to do, which was to copy the 916 Rear TailCone/Housing. The WEVO has Modern Materials and I've never seen anything made by WEVO that wasn't Top-Notch

carr914
The WEVO is a SideShifter - an Improved version of the 916 with SpaceAge Materials

Nothing against Bugat, but this already exists
Loser_Cruiser
I don't believe it's a true side shift mechanism since it's just reaches around the tail.
carr914
the WEVO is called a SideShift and I know for a Fact they Shift nice & smooth

http://www.wevo.com/Products/TransmissionP...15SideShift.htm
mepstein
915 trans, wevo sideshift, JWest linkage and shifter idea.gif
Series9

I have a 3.6 with a 915 and I've had both the Vellios and WEVO. There is no comparison. I drove the Vellios for about a thousand miles, pulled the tranny and converted it again to WEVO.

WEVO is the way to go.
GeorgeRud
I also have a Vellios conversion 915 in my car, and actually think it shifts quite well. They did have to be carefully set-up, and did basically copy the factory design, but could work well. I was always glad that he was trying different things back in the 70's, and am sorry I didn't keep his old catalog of Porsche conversion parts. It's hard to find a 930 transmission rear cover for midengined use! He had one available, as well as rear trailing arm conversions and other interesting parts.

If I was starting one today, I would also use the WEVO (I don't believe there are anymore Vellios kits around anymore) as it is a modern design and they do have top quality stuff.
sixgt
George,

Do you want a copy of the old Vellios catalog? I am pretty sure I still have one. PM me if you do.

Garry
Jeff Hail
Vellios kits for 915 and 930 box's??

You would be surprised what Bobby Hart has stashed away in his shop.
John
I have 2 Velios kits. One is installed and works very nicely.

It took a LOT of finish work for it to work as designed, but once completed, the Velios kit shifts very nicely. The second kit I have was not finished at all. (I got it from Joe several years ago when he went WEVO)

I have since finished the critical parts and it too will be installed and will work as it should.

The problem is that no more Velios kits are being made and those with the experience installing the kits is few and far between. From what I understand, none of the fit and finish work is necessary with the WEVO kits.

The drawback with the WEVO solution is that it extends the tail cone of the trans too far back to use a factory style muffler.

There was a person in Germany that has re-created the parts to create a 916 type transmission from a 915, but the parts were very expensive when they finally posted prices.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.