Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2011 SCCA National Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
grantsfo
QUOTE(Randal @ Jul 28 2011, 12:52 PM) *

QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Jul 18 2011, 03:12 PM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jul 18 2011, 02:54 PM) *

I felt bad for the fist 2 run groups. It was sloppy wet.
Kesiel was fast in the rain. His Goodyears had AVON A15 moulded into the sidewall. biggrin.gif I would have liked to see that car run in the dry.

He had one run on them the first day. He said he hates those tires but Goodyear was out of the tires he needs. So that was all he had for the dry. I guess it is a good thing for him he didn't have to use them again.

What Goodyear tires does he use?

Pretty sure he uses Formula Atlantic Radials in a 175 compound. 20x9.5x13 (Front) 23.5x13x13 (Back) I was looking at similar tire for the Boxster but couldnt justify the $450 a tire price tag.
grantsfo
Hey Brit is signed up for XP! Who hoo! Thats Awesome! piratenanner.gif

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/eve...795D0028B10C159

Man its depressing looking at the FP field. I'm going to battle to stay out of dead last! Got my ticket and will be flying in Sunday Aug 28. Testing Monday and racin Tuesday and Wed. Then head out on red eye Wed eve. I'm psych'd. And to be supported by a National champion like Erik is really cool. I'm sure I will learn tons from him.

Hey need to get a fast lady in the FP 914 JJ. FP Ladies is going to be a real race!
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Aug 4 2011, 01:13 PM) *

Man its depressing looking at the FP field. I'm going to battle to stay out of dead last! Got my ticket and will be flying in Sunday Aug 28. Testing Monday and racin Tuesday and Wed. Then head out on red eye Wed eve. I'm psych'd. And to be supported by a National champion like Erik is really cool. I'm sure I will learn tons from him.

Hey need to get a fast lady in the FP 914 JJ. FP Ladies is going to be a real race!

Good luck Grant. I hope you do well out there,
grantsfo
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Aug 4 2011, 01:38 PM) *

Thanks I'm going to need as much luck as I can get!
jjackson
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Aug 4 2011, 03:13 PM) *

My wife Tricia has not been in car since last years nationals-had our third child in May.We'll see if we can get her some seat time for next year.FP ladies has been a strong small class several years-Jodi Fordahl,Pilar Miranda,Beverlee Larson, and now Strelnicks and Pedroza- looks like it will be fun to watch.
Our 25 car FP field looks awesome.
Good luck Grant.
Nationals can be a humbling event.
My first Nationals was won by Jeff Reitmeir.My fastest times in the teener never approached Stacy Reitmeirs' slowest times for the week.I thought that I was there to win it!You know-local fast and all.........
JJackson

ottox914

Cool, that car will be something else to see in person.

I'll be there as tire warmer for my friends SM miata. Supercharged, mega squirted, intercooled, it puts 240 to the wheels and a torque curve that is really more of a line than a curve from idle to 7k. We're for sure bringing a knife to a gun fight, but at least its a sharp steak knife and not a butter knife.

I've driven it 2x. I fully expect to suck.

But. This year I turn 50, and Nancy said to do something a little crazy. Since I already own a turbo 914 and a hooker is out of the question, a trip to nats seemed like a nice little compromise vacation splurge.
Joe Ricard
I've been to several National events haveing never driven the car before.
1st was a CSP Miata, backed it off the trailer, drove to Tech and back and then from grid to start line. Only thing on my mind was "don't kill it".

2nd was Mod moto shifter kart, at Nationals last year. spun it in the 1st set of slaloms Whoops.

3rd was C-mod Formula Ford. drove it 2 runs @ test and tune. Right away I knew I was in trouble. That was a hard car to drive.

Just as long as the gas is on the right and it goes to the floor I am usually a mid pack driver.
Randal
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Aug 4 2011, 03:02 PM) *

QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Aug 4 2011, 01:38 PM) *

Thanks I'm going to need as much luck as I can get!

Good Luck at the Nationals. No way it will be anything but fun.

Randal
QUOTE(jjackson @ Aug 5 2011, 05:35 AM) *

My wife Tricia has not been in car since last years nationals-had our third child in May.We'll see if we can get her some seat time for next year.FP ladies has been a strong small class several years-Jodi Fordahl,Pilar Miranda,Beverlee Larson, and now Strelnicks and Pedroza- looks like it will be fun to watch.
Our 25 car FP field looks awesome.
Good luck Grant.
Nationals can be a humbling event.
My first Nationals was won by Jeff Reitmeir.My fastest times in the teener never approached Stacy Reitmeirs' slowest times for the week.I thought that I was there to win it!You know-local fast and all.........
JJackson

Was that the year Jeff was driving the supercharged BMW? He ran that car at LPR events down at the Marina and it was very fast.

His shop is just down the street from my place.

Good Luck at the Nationals. We'll all be pulling for you.
jjackson
Was that the year Jeff was driving the supercharged BMW. He ran that car at LPR events down at the Marina and it was very fast.

Nope-Talking about the year that Jeff and Stacy both won in their teener.Hadn't looked back but I think it was '92 ish.
Looking forward to meeting people from this forum.I'll be able to find Brit,Grant (next to in grid),Leeds, and Jim Murphy.I hope that the others (from this forum) will find us. beerchug.gif
JJackson
PS- We will be fast-the car is really good.
PeeGreen 914
Best of luck Jay. Hope to be out there next year to race with you smile.gif . Can't wait to see how you do beerchug.gif
jjackson
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Aug 5 2011, 08:39 PM) *

Best of luck Jay. Hope to be out there next year to race with you smile.gif . Can't wait to see how you do beerchug.gif

Thanks!
Hope to see you (and others) next year.
JJackson
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(jjackson @ Aug 5 2011, 09:20 PM) *

QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Aug 5 2011, 08:39 PM) *

Thanks!
Hope to see you (and others) next year.
JJackson

You are going to have to drive faster than you did in Blytheville Jay, I was right on your ass both days in our weak little Type IV. poke.gif Well, at least til you left the starting line and I was still sitting there waiting my turn to take off. Oh yeah, make sure all your parts are secured so the guy behind you doesn't have to duck like I did when you took off. And tell the starter dude not to pick them up, they are hot. av-943.gif
jjackson
Those pesky noise meters!!!
Third muffler (all 3 GUARANTEED to meet the most stringent blah ..blah...blah)
Grant will be at the line behind me at nationals.All I can say is be prepared to duck if necessary.
and yes -we will have to be faster at nats if we want to outrun autox royalty.
JJackson
Joe Ricard
Someone forgot to tell Sports car mag that Britt and JJ are coming to Nats. Looks like they already gave the jacket to JT and Fred Zust. Heck of nice guys but it's time beat them.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Aug 6 2011, 05:39 PM) *

Someone forgot to tell Sports car mag that Britt and JJ are coming to Nats. Looks like they already gave the jacket to JT and Fred Zust. Heck of nice guys but it's time beat them.

The race is not always to the fast, nor the fight to the strong.....but that's the way to bet. biggrin.gif
BMXerror
I'm not sure what everybody else is running, but I think this just may be Toby's year in FP. He's got more grunt under the hood this year, has been doing a ton of tire testing all season, and this is his last year to prove something before going off to do hill climbs. Sorry 914 guys, but Toby is a great guy and an amazing driver, and I've gotta root for the fellow BMW driver. stirthepot.gif
Mark D.
Randal

Best of luck to The Where2Race sponsored 914 yellow machine. Go Britain.

J P Stein
Brit is thrashin' (it's good for him biggrin.gif ) to get more wheel/tiar under the car for the Nats. The old shitbox is gonna look a bit tacky.....but expediency counts for sumthin'. He'll get just a little practice on em'.

Here's a preview. biggrin.gif
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Aug 8 2011, 06:26 AM) *

Brit is thrashin' (it's good for him biggrin.gif ) to get more wheel/tiar under the car for the Nats. The old shitbox is gonna look a bit tacky.....but expediency counts for sumthin'. He'll get just a little practice on em'.

Here's a preview. biggrin.gif

Whatever it takes IMHO.

Is it my imagination or is the suspension setup on that 911 somewhat off?
J P Stein
That suspension set-up don't look too shinny, does it.
IIRC, the guy was running XP at the Nats a couple years back and was none too quick......but, he was there & trying.
Britain Smith
I will never forget that picture! I saw it a couple of years ago and thought it was fake.

Mine won't stick out that far...

-Britain
Britain Smith
Run/Work order published. Looks like XP runs Heat 3 and works Heat 5...very nice.

-Britain
jjackson
Britain-We'll be running third heat also-just the other course.Last year we were running with XP-was hoping that it would be the same this year.
While looking at increasing your width-have you looked at options for 18 X 10's or 18 X 12's.Hoosier A6 in the 24.9 inch tire is a nice setup-a full inch more rubber on the ground compared to bias ply 23 X 10 X 16 that we are running-I'm just assuming that this is the tire that you were running in back.
Thinking about the radial in the 18 with the required camber,gears, etc...
Thoughts ?
(Have a fere source to test wheels and tires-Sponsors 944 just went to this setup)
JJackson
Britain Smith
I was running the 22.0x16.10's Bias Ply in the rear, the new set-up will be 23.5x16x12's Radials.

The mass of the 18's are a bit of a deterrent.

-Britain
J P Stein
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Aug 8 2011, 08:25 PM) *

I was running the 22.0x16.10's Bias Ply in the rear, the new set-up will be 23.5x16x12's Radials.

-Britain

Some time back I had the opportunity to weigh a friends 275 X 40 X 17 A6s on 11 inch Kinessis (sp?). 44 lbs each. Our 16s with slicks were 32lbs.
The fronts had an 8 lb difference each over our fronts.
I suspect the 18 inch W/T combo weighs even more. Who needs 40 extra lbs of unsprung weight?

Brit, weigh them 12" suckers after you get them mounted.
Joe Ricard
And for all us poor bastards not going at least we can listen in here.
www.ustream.tv/channel/sccasolo
That 911 ran SSM in B'ville this year.....I was faster that him, well at least his co-driver with my T4. maybe a tenth off the owner...So JP remembers correctly that he ain't that Quick!!

Good Luck Jay, Britain.... first.gif
Get those 914s to the top spot on the podium...

Good luck to Grant and Mark too....And thanks for the link Joe!
grantsfo
QUOTE(jjackson @ Aug 5 2011, 03:32 PM) *

Was that the year Jeff was driving the supercharged BMW. He ran that car at LPR events down at the Marina and it was very fast.

Nope-Talking about the year that Jeff and Stacy both won in their teener.Hadn't looked back but I think it was '92 ish.
Looking forward to meeting people from this forum.I'll be able to find Brit,Grant (next to in grid),Leeds, and Jim Murphy.I hope that the others (from this forum) will find us. beerchug.gif
JJackson
PS- We will be fast-the car is really good.

I wont be hard to find. Just look for 6'4 300 lb goofy looking guy wondering around like he is lost. Thats me! I resemble that in the car too but I'm sitting down and going a little faster.

Hey did you see Sports Car and their picks for FP? He he he.

And having been to very strongly driven BSP and FP events with drivers like Toby, Arron and Tom Berry in San Diego I have no delusions of winning. Its more like hoping for mid pack finish. I'd like to keep my co-driver under 2 seconds too. I figure if I can go after his times and not focus on anything else he may drag me to a decent finish.
grantsfo
I put money on Brit placing 3rd this year if the car doesnt break. XP field always seems weak once you get past Zust.
jjackson
Brit,Definitely pulling for you but my money is on Collett-Substantially faster than Zust.Just has to get a clean run both days.
Agree that the 18's will add 40lbs of unsprung weight with the radial.To me that is the downfall to the equation.
Sportscar picked JT (autoX royalty)to win FP-He does have the most open championships period.He did outrun every prepared car last year.When we outrun him, I hope its at Nats.
Good luck to all!
JJackson
BMXerror
A little confused at absolutely no mention of Britain for XP contention in Sportcar. confused24.gif
Mark D.
jjackson
Articles for this issue were written before the current west coast swing of national events.
JJackson
Britain Smith
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Aug 9 2011, 01:49 PM) *

I put money on Brit placing 3rd this year if the car doesnt break. XP field always seems weak once you get past Zust.

I will happily take 3rd behind the Lotus and the S2000...

-Britain
grantsfo
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Aug 9 2011, 04:26 PM) *

-Britain

Heck I'd be happy with 6th in FP but I know that aint happening! LOL! My goal is top 10 and even that is a huge stretch given FP field.
BMXerror
I'd be ecstatic with anything in the trophies in my first outing... and with the current STX field that looks like it's gonna be the top 12 positions. biggrin.gif My Divisional performance was pretty depressing, so I'd better step it up! Final practice and shakedown is this Saturday. driving.gif slap.gif driving.gif smash.gif driving.gif aktion035.gif
Mark D.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Aug 9 2011, 05:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Aug 9 2011, 04:26 PM) *

-Britain

Heck I'd be happy with 6th in FP but I know that aint happening! LOL! My goal is top 10 and even that is a huge stretch given FP field.

With how many are signed up and who all is driving yeah. It's crazy to see all the drivers that are well known in these classes all signed up for the same even. I can wait to go experience this for myself. I don't care what place I get. I just want to see what it is like to drive against this level.
Joe Ricard
It's pretty humbling to go to Nationals. I drove my best which normally puts me top 2 or 3 locally. was good enough for 26th out of 29 at last years Nationals. Mid pack in PAX is my goal.
grantsfo
One thing I hold onto is I beat Toby in BSP in San Diego this year. lol! Ok if I can beat him in a BSP car that I had no seat time in maybe I have a chance. ...not

Hey! here are the SCCA Forum votes on who will win each class. Fun little contest. Niether Brit or I are up there?

http://www.sccaforums.com/pick-the-winners...ults-and-voting
BMXerror
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Aug 11 2011, 02:46 PM) *

One thing I hold onto is I beat Toby in BSP in San Diego this year. lol! Ok if I can beat him in a BSP car that I had no seat time in maybe I have a chance. ...not

Hey! here are the SCCA Forum votes on who will win each class. Fun little contest. Niether Brit or I are up there?

http://www.sccaforums.com/pick-the-winners...ults-and-voting

lol... some idiot actually voted for me. av-943.gif
Mark D.
BMXerror
To anybody interested, keep an eye out for Jeff Stuart in STX. This will be his first trip back to Nationals. He has less than two years autocross experience and I have worked with him since day one. But that's not to take any credit for how brutally fast he is. biggrin.gif Anyways, I picked him up to codrive with me in Lincoln, and his pace at our final practice today shows that he could be a contender. Go Jeff! driving.gif ... me on the other hand barf.gif . hahaha.
Mark D.
hot_shoe914
Britan, watch out for Richard Holden AND his co-driver(who is probably faster) in the red Z car. Really courious to see how you guys match up.
grantsfo
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Aug 8 2011, 09:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Aug 8 2011, 08:25 PM) *

-Britain

Some time back I had the opportunity to weigh a friends 275 X 40 X 17 A6s on 11 inch Kinessis (sp?). 44 lbs each. Our 16s with slicks were 32lbs.
The fronts had an 8 lb difference each over our fronts.
I suspect the 18 inch W/T combo weighs even more. Who needs 40 extra lbs of unsprung weight?

Brit, weigh them 12" suckers after you get them mounted.

Boxster has ended up on 18x12 with a 315 rear and 18x10 with 295 front. Dang! thats what I run on the Z now, but I have 315 WHP in the Z. I have plans to move the Z to 335 R and 315 front next season. I'm sure those big wheels and tires make that wimpy little stock 2480 cc 175 WHP engine scream for mercy. But no denying national level results with that tire setup.

Joe Ricard
The real question is how many seconds will Beth beat Grant?
I say two seconds per day.
J P Stein
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Aug 13 2011, 10:22 PM) *

Britan, watch out for Richard Holden AND his co-driver(who is probably faster) in the red Z car. Really courious to see how you guys match up.

My method of comparing AX performance is to bounce times off SS times. NTs usually have a good turnout of SS cars & drivers. A top XP car should have a 2 day time around 2 sec quicker than the SS winner.....no weather factored in. The venue surface also needs to be factored into this. Slicks work better on concrete than anything else.
In looking at AX results from all over the country for several years this has been a good *indicator*......not to be taken as gosple.

If anyone has a another/better method...which is likely, let's hear it.
grantsfo
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Aug 15 2011, 11:10 AM) *

Why would a national level female driver be any slower than a national level male driver like Vivek or Erik? Look at their times and they are all very close. Beth beat all male competitors in XP at her last event.

I suspect Beth is a good two seconds faster than me in first 3 runs and at least 4 seconds faster than you Joe. I'm pretty sure they would let you run ladies if you want to find out.

Anyone who knows me understands I cant put it together in 3 runs. I'm too slow to figure things out in AX as my brain has never been able to see through cones well for some reason. Guys and gals in PCA know I'm dangerous as you give me enough runs I will be 2 seconds faster than my first 3. Its sort of sadistic that I like going to national level SCCA events but figure thats only way I will get better!

Wish me luck as I will need it against these very fast guys and gals.

...better bet will be how many seconds will the XP 914 be beaten by Beth in a FP Boxster? I'm an easy mark. Brit is faster than me with far more capable car than the wimpy Boxster
grantsfo
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Aug 16 2011, 09:09 AM) *

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Aug 13 2011, 10:22 PM) *

My method of comparing AX performance is to bounce times off SS times. NTs usually have a good turnout of SS cars & drivers. A top XP car should have a 2 day time around 2 sec quicker than the SS winner.....no weather factored in. The venue surface also needs to be factored into this. Slicks work better on concrete than anything else.
In looking at AX results from all over the country for several years this has been a good *indicator*......not to be taken as gosple.

If anyone has a another/better method...which is likely, let's hear it.

I tend to look at NT and Divisional PAX over several events. If somone in your class consistently is in top 10 pax overall at NT and top 5 in DIvision you are likely looking at a nationals podium level driver. Tough to consistently be at the top of PAX at big events unless you are a national level driver in a well setup car.

PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Aug 16 2011, 11:30 AM) *

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Aug 15 2011, 11:10 AM) *

Why would a national level female driver be any slower than a national level male driver like Vivek or Erik? Look at their times and they are all very close. Beth beat all male competitors in XP at her last event.

I suspect Beth is a good two seconds faster than me in first 3 runs and at least 4 seconds faster than you Joe. I'm pretty sure they would let you run ladies if you want to find out.

Anyone who knows me understands I cant put it together in 3 runs. I'm too slow to figure things out in AX as my brain has never been able to see through cones well for some reason. Guys and gals in PCA know I'm dangerous as you give me enough runs I will be 2 seconds faster than my first 3. Its sort of sadistic that I like going to national level SCCA events but figure thats only way I will get better!

Wish me luck as I will need it against these very fast guys and gals.

...better bet will be how many seconds will the XP 914 be beaten by Beth in a FP Boxster? I'm an easy mark. Brit is faster than me with far more capable car than the wimpy Boxster

At the National level I would have to agree. Jodi Fordahl will likely win her class and beat the owner of the car she is driving and his wife. She is one fast lady.
grantsfo
JJ I think this is Toby's car post mods. Looks like its moving well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o1FdMFlvFw
jjackson
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Aug 16 2011, 03:29 PM) *

JJ I think this is Toby's car post mods. Looks like its moving well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o1FdMFlvFw

Looks like a great course!
They were both fast last year-we were fortunate enough to split em.
We will bring all we got.....and see how good of a drive that we can put on it.
Really looking forward to the opportunity.
We have three FP cars going up.Goal is to put all four drivers in all three cars in the trophies .Last year we had two in the trophies.
JJackson
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.