Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELP :Headlight motor causing battery drain
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
c12croft
Installed my battery following a short term storage only to find that as soon as I connected the lugs (with ignition key out) the passenger side headlamp motor started running (without moving the lamp position), kinda just making a whinning noise continuously. It only stopped when I disconnected the three-lead (red,green, grey wires) of the headlight motor.
I did a search trying to troubleshoot this problem with no luck.
Anyone suggest what I should check for?
Thanks
tdgray
Faulty Relay (round replay on the top of the motor).

Swap it out with the one from the other side and test.
c12croft
QUOTE(tdgray @ Jun 22 2011, 10:27 AM) *

Faulty Relay (round replay on the top of the motor).

Swap it out with the one from the other side and test.

The round knob you refer to?
Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
Nope, that is just a knob.

There is a cylinder-shaped plastic relay that is plugged into the side of the headlight mechanism. In early cars I think it is hidden behind a plastic cover. Check on the side of the headlight bucket that faces the trunk.

The relays are exactly the same as the ones on the relay board in the engine bay.

--DD
tdgray
Dave is correct.... sorry I said top but that is not what I meant (apparently I have been without a 914 for too long).

c12croft
AhhSoo......
Said relay is hiding behind plastic cover shown in this picture?

Click to view attachment
A bad relay could cause the headlight motor to run withuout the ignition key even on?
This relay is on both Pass and Driver sides?
tdgray
QUOTE(c12croft @ Jun 23 2011, 01:22 PM) *

AhhSoo......
Said relay is hiding behind plastic cover shown in this picture?

Click to view attachment
A bad relay could cause the headlight motor to run withuout the ignition key even on?
This relay is on both Pass and Driver sides?

Possibly... yes one for each side... swap the good side to the bad side and see if it works... as Dave said... same relays on the board in engine compartment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.