Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How well do you know your car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dimmer
So my washer stopped working. Took it all apart today, and it seems the valve on the steering column is not working. This is the part where the two hoses attach.
Is this an exclusive 914 part or could I take one off of a VW as alot had the same system? Any done this before?
SirAndy
QUOTE(dimmer @ Jun 15 2004, 12:04 PM)
So my washer stopped working. Took it all apart today, and it seems the valve on the steering column is not working. This is the part where the two hoses attach.
Is this an exclusive 914 part or could I take one off of a VW as alot had the same system? Any done this before?

easier and cleaner to convert to a electrical pump, IMHO ...

$30 bucks and 2 wires later, i had a real, working windshield washer!
smash.gif Andy
watsonrx13
Andy, please tell us how (you 914 guru god). smilie_pokal.gif

We will need detailed descriptions and with very detailed (regular and close up) pics.
Levi
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Jun 15 2004, 01:54 PM)
Andy, please tell us how (you 914 guru god). smilie_pokal.gif

We will need detailed descriptions and with very detailed (regular and close up) pics.

lol2.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Jun 15 2004, 01:54 PM)
Andy, please tell us how (you 914 guru god).  smilie_pokal.gif

i can take pics later ...

here's the quick rundown:

1) you can either buy a way overpriced 914/6 washer pump OR
you go to your local porsche salvage yard and get a washer pump from a '70s 911 (which looks strikingly similar to the 914/6 pump wink.gif )

2) then, you mount it in the stock (914/6) location which is under the washer bottle.

3) rip out all the washer hose that goes from the bottle to the steering column (careful, could still have water in it),
but keep it, we'll need it later.

4) remove the 2nd hose from the steering colum and fiddle it back into the cowl area through the front firewall.
take the hose and connect it to the outlet of the pump. (you may wish to trim it, it's too long).

5) remove the hose from the spare tires and fiddle it through the firewall, throw it into the trash.

6) take the hose from 3) and put one side back on the bottom of the bottle (special connector, don't brake it!), then cut the hose to length and connect to the input of the pump.

7) take off the black bottle cap and drill a small hole into it, next to the valve stem (hole size about the dia. of the washer hose).
this is needed because the cap has a pressure valve in it that won't allow air to get into the bottle. you need to bypass this, otherwise the pump will not be able to get much water out of the bottle.

8) 2 options for the wiring:

8a) run 2 wires inside and mount a separate switch (push button style) either in the dash or the center console, and hook it up to 12V (through a fuse of your choice)

8b) if you have the intermittend wiper relay harness, you can also run the pump off that, just extend the brown/black wire (trigger from steering column) and use it as the 12V feed for the pump.
this way, every time you pull the wiper lever towards you, you get the 4 run intermittend + fresh water!

pics will follow,
smash.gif Andy
StratPlayer
For anyone that doesn't want to go to the salvage yard There is a new one up for grabs on the bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33657
watsonrx13
Thanks Andy. I knew you'd come through. pray.gif You are Da Man.
East coaster
Isn't there a trick way to utilize a 924 column switch pod and have real (electric) washer on the stalk capability?? I thought I read that somewhere before.
SirAndy
QUOTE(East coaster @ Jun 15 2004, 03:59 PM)
Isn't there a trick way to utilize a 924 column switch pod and have real (electric) washer on the stalk capability?? I thought I read that somewhere before.

yes, but you don't need to switch the column.
plus, that doesn't add a pump to your car, just gives you a more modern lever design, including a switch for interval/washer.

as stated above, if you retrofit your 914 to include the intermittend relay, you can archieve all of that with the stock column ...

even with a different column, you still need the intermittend relay for that feature to work.

but if you go with a separate push-button, you won't neeed any of that to make the elec. pump work.
Andy
TheCabinetmaker
The original owner of my 75 installed the pump under the bottle, and a foot switch on the floor board between the clutch and brake. very simple and works great.
SirAndy
ok, did a little writeup with pix, you can find it here:

Electric Washer Pump Install Guide

wink.gif Andy
StratPlayer
Andy did you get the push button relay at your local FLAPS to engage the pump?
SirAndy
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Jun 21 2004, 11:47 AM)
Andy did you get the push button relay at your local FLAPS to engage the pump?

actually, no relay ...

i tried without relay and it seems fine, i guess you could always add one, but for now it's just 12V straight from the fuse block to a simple (got it at the boat supply shop, they tend to have the better hardware) push button switch to the pump ...

Andy
Andyrew
Im suprized people actually use their washer.. Im going to fill in my washer holes, cus hey, if I need a cleaner windshield. I'll just pull over and clean it myself, I dont want to get the rest of my car wet from the overspray!

ohmy.gif

shocked
maf914
Andy, Thanks for the article. Very helpful.

And the "Washer - The Movie" video! Fantastic! You must work in the industry. I'm sure I've seen your work before. laugh.gif
McMark
You can get a pump at your FLAPS too. At least I know NAPA has them.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 21 2004, 01:08 PM)
I dont want to get the rest of my car wet from the overspray!

must be the german in me.
i HATE dirt on the windshield. drives me nuts!

dirt on the rest of the car i can't see while i'm driving.
wink.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(maf914 @ Jun 21 2004, 01:12 PM)
And the "Washer - The Movie" video! Fantastic! You must work in the industry. I'm sure I've seen your work before. laugh.gif

YES!
didn't the suspense towards the end kill 'ya?
and then, i finally make that big sweeping left turn with the camera and reveal the whole scene!

i learned from the best!
pray.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.