Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ball joint nut tool
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ductech
Anyone in the northwest that has a special tool or one of those ford front end sockets? I need to install a set of ball joints!

Thanks for the help guys!
r_towle
large pipe wrench works quite well.

Rich
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Ductech @ Jun 23 2011, 02:34 PM) *

Anyone in the northwest that has a special tool or one of those ford front end sockets? I need to install a set of ball joints!

As the other Rich observes - big pipe wrench works.
I install them 'hand-snug' to make sure everything is seated (after applying some kind of anti-sieze to the threads) and then use a dull chisel or solid punch to drive the nut on tight.

There is a torque spec, but 'pretty darned tight' will do.

It's not going anywhere if you re-install the serrated retainer...
VaccaRabite
Thirded on the pipe wrench.
Zach
914werke
Ive used both (chisel & pipe wrench) depending on the level of corrosion plan on destroying the "nut"
Robert I have a tool. stop by to borrow it (but be prepared to be recruited to lend me a hand for the favor smile.gif )
The Porsche tool is pretty spendy for how infrequently you might use it.
Mine isnt a Porsche ver but works.
Ductech
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jun 23 2011, 12:26 PM) *

Ive used both (chisel & pipe wrench) depending on the level of corrosion plan on destroying the "nut"
Robert I have a tool. stop by to borrow it (but be prepared to be recruited to lend me a hand for the favor smile.gif )
The Porsche tool is pretty spendy for how infrequently you might use it.
Mine isnt a Porsche ver but works.

I forgot to mention that I already took the ball joints out smile.gif rdauenhauer I might just give you a ring later today... what kinda favor you need? I guess i'm a stickler for torque specs.... didn't want to install them without knowing they are F***ing tight. Right now I am torturing myself with a crappy seudo plastic suspension busing install.
Eric_Shea
Someone has mine! Loaned it out here and never got it back... mad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.