914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thelogo
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Complete-BM...s#ht_3607wt_941

ebay link . 2k bye1.gif

is this a viable engine alternative to subaru. stirthepot.gif

because I hate radiators . sawzall-smiley.gif

what challenges would this bmw engine present ??? chair.gif
jmill
At only 90hp why not stick with a stock 2.0?
wingnut86
IMO

1- You'll need sheet aluminum or steel to create your own tin set to redirect airflow

2- CNC a custom fabricated plate to move the accessories package to a horizontal position/plane for fit 'n' function in a teener - this may require a beefier end shaft - then beefier crank/etc - depends on if you have to extend the shaft to accomidate this blink.gif

3- Good luck with the ECU when you do all of the above

4- It's easier to modify a V-Dub tranny with a 4 speed than the same with a 901, but it would be fun

5- The oil sump area is too small and I believe a separate oil cooler/larger would be needed

6- Everyone will definitely say your car sounds like a Suzuki from the early 80's with any pipe setup WTF.gif

7- Lastly, 90HP aside, the teener body should be all Carbon for weight reduction, sitting on a light tube frame design - that motor was designed to wrap a 180lb groin around if you get my drift

...other than that - Piece of Cake...

aktion035.gif

VaccaRabite
Designed to push a 500lbs bike. May not have the torque to push a 2400lbs car.
And no power improvement over stock.
So... Why?
Zach
Tom_T
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 23 2011, 12:54 PM) *

Designed to push a 500lbs bike. May not have the torque to push a 2400lbs car.
And no power improvement over stock.
So... Why?
Zach

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

Lower TQ & only 2 bangers with 90 hp - vs. 72 in your 73 1.7 (80 if not a CA 73 1.7). huh.gif

You can build your 1.7 to 1911 +/- & get about 100 HP & 2x the R1100's TQ on stock D-jet, with far less work & stay smog exempt - so why!!?? confused24.gif
Mark Henry
It would be easier and more cost effective to put a type 1 beetle engine in it.
thelogo
QUOTE(jmill @ Jun 23 2011, 12:46 PM) *

At only 90hp why not stick with a stock 2.0?

well I was thinking along the lines of yes same out put as 2.0

but , lighter weight = faster ,

higher revving .

modern induction / f i

low maintence ?

longevity ?

most importantly , to me is :

ability to return to 100 completely stock engines if I or future owner

should desire , ???

but yes I understand , add's complexity is a con .

thelogo
I through it against the wall an see if it sticks , not this time

beer3.gif
messix
do it and report back.... the world is flat......

might be a fun build!
Mike Bellis
Torque moves the car not HP. It has the same HP but no torque. It will be very sluggish off the line but may be able to maintain hwy speeds after a few miles at WOT.
Ductech
And I thought that putting a subaru motor in ruined one of these things. This would be like buying a big two stroke 500 cc dirt bike and putting a 250 four stroke in it. Just wouldn't pan out very well.
SirAndy
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jun 23 2011, 09:45 PM) *

Torque moves the car not HP. It has the same HP but no torque. It will be very sluggish off the line but may be able to maintain hwy speeds after a few miles at WOT.

agree.gif
FourBlades

Look how small it is, just put two of them in there, maybe one in the front trunk for
4wd... happy11.gif

180 HP and air cooled and 4wd.

John
DBCooper
You know there are kits to do the reverse, put four banger VW engines into BMW R bikes. There's even a Yahoo group for them. But I believe you're the first I've heard thinking about the opposite.

I have several bikes with those engines and I don't think you'd be happy with them in a car that weighs four times as much as the bike did. The only way you're supposed to leave one of those idling for any amount of time, when balancing the throttle bodies for example, is with a big fan in front of the bike for engine cooling air circulation. There have supposedly been bikes burst into flame when the owner left a bike idling in the garage while he was distracted in the house. Let me repeat: Burst into Flames. Not good in a car, no.
Dr Evil
Bolt two together, then install smile.gif

There are better motorcycle engines out there wink.gif
thenewwazoo
If you want to talk bike engines, let's talk Hayabusa or ZX-14 engines. 175+ HP, very lightweight, enough torque. I've got notes somewhere about the work required. They're Megasquirt-able, and can be mated to a Quaife chain-drive differential (with reverse, even!). If you want to go with a "standard" transmission, the Miatabusa project has done the R&D required to mate it to a Miata trans. I don't think an Audi trans would be a huge amount more work, if you've got the $$$.
DBCooper
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 24 2011, 02:22 PM) *

There are better motorcycle engines out there wink.gif

Better car engines out there too (wink wink). I like my oilheads, they have... um... character.

In the parking at a vintage car race in the U.K. I saw a Mini with a Hayabusa engine in the rear passenger seat All stock looking from the outside but gutted, full cage, fiberglass sheet metal parts, lexan windows, the car couldn't have weighed 1000 lbs. Looked like a full half ton of fun.
Kraftwerk
Put two of 'em in and have 180 Hp!
Only way to do it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.