Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jump-crank help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete
I bought this starter off ebay. I bolted it to my trans and would like to see if it turns my SBC 350 over. How do I jump it? I don't want to start the engine. I just want to make sure it engages the flywheel and cranks the engine. I connected jumper cables to my car battery and connected the hot lead to the top of the starter under that black boot and touched steel with the neg lead. It spun the starter gear but didn't extend it. I connected a wire to the spade terminal under the starter and touched that with the hot lead and the neg to ground and it extended the gear but wouldn't spin it. I jumped the spade terminal on the starter to the ground I was using and touched both with the hot lead and it just spun, wouldn't engage. Any thoughts?Click to view attachment
r_towle
hook up your jumper to the bottom large nut and then use a small alligator clip lead to energize the spade stud next to it.

The solenoid kicks the gear into the flywheel.
You need to energize the motor via the solenoid.

Rich
Bruce Hinds
I've never seen one of those.....What kind of starter is that?
SLITS
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Jun 27 2011, 02:00 PM) *

It's a Jap gear reduction starter with a new nose machined to fit Porsche. Can't remember if the base starter is Nippondenso or Hitachi.

Made by IMI. Better ones are made by Proline out of Parker, AZ.
pete
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Jun 27 2011, 05:00 PM) *

This starter was recommended to me for my V8 conversion. Here is the Ebay link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...atchlink:top:en

It seems to be a solid unit and a very good fit although I haven't tested it yet.
pete
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 27 2011, 04:55 PM) *

hook up your jumper to the bottom large nut and then use a small alligator clip lead to energize the spade stud next to it.

Rich

Hey Rich, so I should use a alligator clip/wire and clip it to the spade and the other end to the large lower nut? Then connect the hot jumper cable to the nut and the negative to a suitable ground?
SLITS
QUOTE(pete @ Jun 28 2011, 05:49 AM) *

Rich

Hey Rich, so I should use a alligator clip/wire and clip it to the spade and the other end to the large lower nut? Then connect the hot jumper cable to the nut and the negative to a suitable ground?

The answer would be yes, but you do not leave the alligator clip secured to the spade terminal. You jump between the battery lead on the starter and the spade terminal to get the starter to function.

In a normal situation, when you turn the key to start position, switched power is supplied from the ignition switch to the solenoid (big yellow wire). This energizes the solenoid which shoots the bendix out to engage the flywheel teeth and engages contacts (inside the solenoid) to supply battery voltage to the starter motor. When the key is released to the run position, the power to the solenoid & starter is cut off.

Oh BTW, the IMI brand was started by Pat Isom, Isom Brothers Rebuilding (electrical rebuilders), in Whittier, CA. He downed the business a few years ago due to health reasons and someone took over the IMI Line.
pete
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 28 2011, 09:35 AM) *

Rich

The answer would be yes, but you do not leave the alligator clip secured to the spade terminal. You jump between the battery lead on the starter and the spade terminal to get the starter to function.

In a normal situation, when you turn the key to start position, switched power is supplied from the ignition switch to the solenoid (big yellow wire). This energizes the solenoid which shoots the bendix out to engage the flywheel teeth and engages contacts (inside the solenoid) to supply battery voltage to the starter motor. When the key is released to the run position, the power to the solenoid & starter is cut off.

Oh BTW, the IMI brand was started by Pat Isom, Isom Brothers Rebuilding (electrical rebuilders), in Whittier, CA. He downed the business a few years ago due to health reasons and someone took over the IMI Line.

Great. Thanks Ron. I'll try it today.
pete
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 28 2011, 09:35 AM) *

Rich

I connected a switch I found in my junk box to the solenoid with two alligator clipped wires and used my forklift battery to energize the starter. Cranked great! Thanks for your help everyone.Click to view attachment
r_towle
looks perfect, now duct tape everything in place (make sure you use plenty of dielectric grease) and it should work fine for a year or so.

Rich
Bruce Hinds

It seems to be a solid unit and a very good fit although I haven't tested it yet.
[/quote]

I was just curious, I got by with a 914 starter on my renegade conversion for years, it seemed to have enough torque for the 9:1 compression V8 but eventually started skipping teeth because the bearing in the end was not up to the task of 4 impulses per revolution. Perhaps the high torque gets past that, but it was all about bearing size. I ended up having to change out the ring gear and went with a reverse rotation Chevy unit from Kennedy.
jimkelly
yes we carry the IMI-101 high torque starter for $185.

KENNEDY ENGINEERED PRODUCTS, INC. 661-272-1147
38830 17th St. E Fax: 661-272-1575
Palmdale, CA 93550
www.kennedyenginc.com
www.kennedyeng.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.