Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muffler blown out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bugsy0
The exhaust had gotten louder over the last couple of drives so I peered underneath and found the muffler blown out:
Click to view attachment

Here's a close-up.
Click to view attachment

I realize this is from an internal backfire, but what does this indicate and why did it happen? I never heard a "bang" or "pop" - only noticed a louder exhaust.
Thanks,
Tom
messix
bursh?
SLITS
Also add that they rust out from the inside, thinning the metal from the condensation formed when the engine is shutoff.
r_towle
its a bursch thing....
Go to AutoZone and get a Hush Thrush muffler that is the same length with the same location of the in and out tubes...with tubes the same diameter and cut that one off and the tail pipe...then weld (or clamp) a new muffler in its place.

20 bucks was the last one I bought.

Rich
a914dude
They rust on the shelf.
76-914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 29 2011, 07:26 PM) *

its a bursch thing....
Go to AutoZone and get a Hush Thrush muffler that is the same length with the same location of the in and out tubes...with tubes the same diameter and cut that one off and the tail pipe...then weld (or clamp) a new muffler in its place.

Rich

great tip (so far lol-2.gif ) Rich, i'm bookmarking this one.
r_towle
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 29 2011, 11:35 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 29 2011, 07:26 PM) *

its a bursch thing....

Rich

great tip (so far lol-2.gif ) Rich, i'm bookmarking this one.

Just wait for it biggrin.gif
bugsy0
Thanks for the tip, Rich. This muffler doesn't really look all that rusty - the metal is torn and cracked. I can't figure out what caused it. Maybe vibration?
r_towle
its a bursch thing.

Rich
silver74insocal
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 29 2011, 10:39 PM) *

its a bursch thing.

Rich

agree.gif i have one that the muffler fell apart internally...just about to weld on a turbo replacement..if you search the word "bursch" you can read endless threads on it beerchug.gif good luck,Dave
messix
it looks like the primary pipe being that close to the muffler right there has caused some severe extreme heat cycling and has caused the sheet metal to expand and contract to a greater amount compared to the surrounding metal hence fatiguing that section to the point of failure.
bugsy0
QUOTE(messix @ Jun 29 2011, 11:50 PM) *

it looks like the primary pipe being that close to the muffler right there has caused some severe extreme heat cycling and has caused the sheet metal to expand and contract to a greater amount compared to the surrounding metal hence fatiguing that section to the point of failure.

That's very plausible. I took a closer look and indeed the muffler proper is/was touching the pipe. The muffler really does not fit well. So it's a bursch thing dry.gif
messix
QUOTE(bugsy0 @ Jun 29 2011, 11:26 PM) *

QUOTE(messix @ Jun 29 2011, 11:50 PM) *

That's very plausible. I took a closer look and indeed the muffler proper is/was touching the pipe. The muffler really does not fit well. So it's a bursch thing dry.gif

it also appears that the muffler is not original to the exhaust system, it looks to be a replacement muffler that does not quite fit properly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.