Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie Question of the Day: Conversions and Flywheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RiqueMar
Ok, did a search but just making sure. When doing a /6 conversion (mine is a 77' 'S' Engine) and sticking with the 901 transmission, I need to change the Flywheel, correct?

I'm all ready to go, but I believe I have the wrong flywheel (mine has the ring gear separate).

rascobo
I don't think it matters, as You can use a 911 starter on a 914 four. If You'd like a definitive answer, contact Kennedy Engineered Products.
beer3.gif
moparrob
You have two options with a 9 bolt flywheel. You can either buy the new conversion ring gear or you can buy the new one piece flywheel from Kennedy. Call them, they're very helpful.
Dave_Darling
A 77 engine would still have a six-bolt flywheel. But it's the one that mates with the 915 transmission, not with the 901 style that is found in our cars.

Get a flywheel from a ~1969 911T. Or from a 914-6.

--DD
pcar916
Yes, because regardless, you'll want to use a 225mm clutch package. I've used the same 914 style clutch (push-type) for both the 2.7L and 3.6L engines.

But with both I used Sachs "Sport" parts (bigger springs in the pressure plate). For some reason I didn't write down the part numbers. Somebody else know them?

The 3.6L uses the same clutch and pressure plate, but a different (6.75lb) flywheel with a speed sensor ring for the DME.

Good luck!
brant
you need a 2.0/6 flywheel
or a conversion (replica of the same)
Matt Romanowski
Call Kennedy and they will help you out.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Matt Romanowski @ Jul 1 2011, 07:25 AM) *

Call Kennedy and they will help you out.

Thanks guys! I wanted to get that all cleared up!
GeorgeRud
If you're interested, I have one of those conversion flywheels that I used on my conversion before switching to a 915 transmission. Bolts right onto the 911 engine and fits the 914 transmission, though you do have to make new marks for TDC and 35 BTDC (at least if you're using a 2.7 engine).

If you can't find one locally and need it, let me know.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jul 1 2011, 07:38 AM) *

If you're interested, I have one of those conversion flywheels that I used on my conversion before switching to a 915 transmission. Bolts right onto the 911 engine and fits the 914 transmission, though you do have to make new marks for TDC and 35 BTDC (at least if you're using a 2.7 engine).

If you can't find one locally and need it, let me know.

Geaorge, thanks, you have a PM
jm993rs
Now for my conversion I'm in the same doubst point !!!

I have one 2.4 E with perfect flywheel on 225, and I have one gearbox of 914-4 with the complet cluch.

And only found one flywheel of second hand 901.

Have the engine starter I have is of the 914-4.

For this parts still not have hurry because the car is a little late in the body transformation, but I search and prepair and buy parts for when need.

One day I read is possible mount 914-4 cluch on a 2.7 flywheel with a littlel modification on a pressure plate cluch but now do not know where I read !!!!

anybody know something ????????? screwy.gif screwy.gif screwy.gif screwy.gif screwy.gif screwy.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(jm993rs @ Feb 8 2012, 03:48 AM) *

Now for my conversion I'm in the same doubst point !!!

I have one 2.4 E with perfect flywheel on 225, and I have one gearbox of 914-4 with the complet cluch.

And only found one flywheel of second hand 901.

Have the engine starter I have is of the 914-4.

For this parts still not have hurry because the car is a little late in the body transformation, but I search and prepair and buy parts for when need.

One day I read is possible mount 914-4 cluch on a 2.7 flywheel with a littlel modification on a pressure plate cluch but now do not know where I read !!!!

anybody know something ????????? screwy.gif screwy.gif screwy.gif screwy.gif screwy.gif screwy.gif

The early 911 flywheel (901 flywheel) uses the same clutch assembly as the /4s. It did have heavier springs in the pressure plate and used 6 springs in the driven plate (clutch disk). It is the 215 mm clutch assembly

Currently, there is no difference between the early /6 clutch assembly and the /4 assembly.

From 1970 & up, the 911s use a flat flywheel and a 225 mm clutch assembly which will not work with the /4 transmission UNLESS you obtain a '70 - '71 ONLY 911/901 transmission.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.