Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Work Party/BBQ Update: Pg 5
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Jeffs9146
blink.gif
jcd914
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Aug 9 2011, 06:08 PM) *

If you cant read it the blk/purple wire is the one that comes out the top and goes to V5 which is the RPM limiter switch on a 1983 911sc 3.0L!

I am guessing that the RPM limiter is set to defalt ground or is not in the motor parts that I have installed and thats why it is doing this?

Jeff,
The V5 on the diagram actually means the current track continues on diagram page V, track 5 which is the Tachometer. Both the blk/violet wire from Term TD on the CD unit and the white/red wire from term 3 on the RPM limiter go to the TD terminal on the tach. The RPM limiter shuts down the fuel pump when the RPM is too high, the white/red wire is just the tach signal to the limiter.
The blk/violet wire to the TD terminal on the CD unit should be correct, I would be looking at the connection to the tach or the tach itself. Make sure it is connected to the TD terminal and nothing else is connected with it unless you have the RPM limiter wired in.

Glad to hear you got it running, been out of town so I'm just catching up on your progress. Sorry about the oil cooler, that sucks. Have you looked for a source of oil leaking on top of the cooler?.

Jim

Jeffs9146
Make sure it is connected to the TD terminal and nothing else is connected with it unless you have the RPM limiter wired in.

Thanks for the feedback! There are 3 main wires connected to the tach, two red/whites hooked to the +, two brown hooked to the -, and the blk/purple hooked to the TD.

Are you saying that I only need the blk/purple and not the others?

Have you looked for a source of oil leaking on top of the cooler?

The top of the motor is dry and it looks like it is coming from directly in the middle of the cooler fins. headbang.gif
jcd914
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Aug 10 2011, 07:13 AM) *

Make sure it is connected to the TD terminal and nothing else is connected with it unless you have the RPM limiter wired in.

Thanks for the feedback! There are 3 main wires connected to the tach, two red/whites hooked to the +, two brown hooked to the -, and the blk/purple hooked to the TD.

Are you saying that I only need the blk/purple and not the others?

No, just saying to make sure nothing else was connected to the TD terminal that could be causing your no run issue. The power and ground wires are necessary.

Jim

FYI here is the wiring page (part V) I was looking at.

Click to view attachment
Jeffs9146
I am thinking the blk/violet wire might be touching something in one of the plugs so I am going to run an external wire from the CD unit directly to the back of the tach and see what happens!
Dr Evil
Good plan.
Jeffs9146
I ran a jumper from the CD unit to the back of the tach without hooking it up and started the motor then I touched the wire to the TD on the tach and it died and backfired? confused24.gif

Maybe the tach is messed up?? headbang.gif
jcd914
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Aug 10 2011, 08:50 AM) *

I ran a jumper from the CD unit to the back of the tach without hooking it up and started the motor then I touched the wire to the TD on the tach and it died and backfired? confused24.gif

Maybe the tach is messed up?? headbang.gif

Is it the correct tach?
Don't know if it would make the engine die by I know there were different tachs.

Jim
Jeffs9146
I don't know, it came with the motor and injection so I assumed it was the correct one!

I was able to start the motor with the 914 tach plugged in so either it is the wrong one or something is wrong with it. confused24.gif

jeeperjohn56
Jeff, Great to see your car running, it sure sound's quite for it having header's and that big ass muffler. What brand name is your muffler? Did Lennie tell you my 3.2 is on its way here and will show up on Monday at Sacramento terminal. Now my progess will start. Good luck with the rest of your conversion. John
Jeffs9146
3.2L, good for you!!! piratenanner.gif

When is the install party? jsharp.gif beerchug.gif

The muffler doesn't have any markings or numbers. I bought it in LA from a guy off craigslist for $100! He said it came off his 3.0L turbo!
Cairo94507
Count me in on he install party of the 3,2 when it happens. Jeff, just let me know when you are ready to yank your engine and i will be there.
Jeffs9146
Lennie and I were talking about it today and I am going to try to change it with the motor in first.

We will see!!?? I will let you know! I got a new cooler today and need to send it off to be modified!
jcd914
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Aug 11 2011, 05:32 PM) *

Lennie and I were talking about it today and I am going to try to change it with the motor in first.

We will see!!?? I will let you know! I got a new cooler today and need to send it off to be modified!

I have done 911 coolers with the engine in the car.
Factory would not pay under warranty for engine R&I.

Not as easy as if the engine were out but still doable.

Jim

Jeffs9146
Not as easy as if the engine were out but still doable.

I will give it a try! I still have to wait until I get the new cooler modified so it could be a few more weeks! blink.gif

jeeperjohn56
The jsharp.gif might be awhile need to get a start on dropping old motor clean rusty area's and then weld in new engine mount, drill hole's for oil tank, then paint engine bay, mount front oil cooler and run oil line's, install and weld on metal flare's, then think about engine install and wiring, "o" I forgot also install new fuel line's and new fuel pump. This should keep me busy till spring. But I can't wait to start, I'm also in to need to have a 101 for dummie's on how to take and post picture's on this site and other's so I can show my progress. John
Jeffs9146
Directions for posting photos!
jeeperjohn56
Thanks Jeff, I'll see if I can handle it and I'll start taking picture's of my start and my new parts as they arrive. The new wheels showed up yesterday, Polished lip's and center's 7's & 8's, new muffler a two in, two out SS Dansk, engine mount and header's and other parts are on they whey, engine come's on Monday, arrive's at Sacramento will have to go get. All this new parts mean's I've got to clean my garage to fit them in, but will be nice to get started. Thanks again John driving.gif
Lennies914
QUOTE(jeeperjohn56 @ Aug 12 2011, 10:54 AM) *

Thanks Jeff, I'll see if I can handle it and I'll start taking picture's of my start and my new parts as they arrive. The new wheels showed up yesterday, Polished lip's and center's 7's & 8's, new muffler a two in, two out SS Dansk, engine mount and header's and other parts are on they whey, engine come's on Monday, arrive's at Sacramento will have to go get. All this new parts mean's I've got to clean my garage to fit them in, but will be nice to get started. Thanks again John driving.gif

Maybe we should have a "planning" bbq biggrin.gif
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Aug 9 2011, 09:51 PM)

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Aug 9 2011, 09:49 PM)

Ok so if I take the blk/purple away from the CD unit and connect it to the - side of the tach it should all be good?

Yep. If your tach is good.

Although, if your ignition module is a CD unit, the tach will not read correctly.

Well I ran another jumper from the - side of the coil just to see if the tach would move a bit and still nothing! It didn't die but I figured it would at least jump a bit confused24.gif .

I think it is the wrong tach or it is bad!
JStroud
QUOTE(jeeperjohn56 @ Aug 12 2011, 10:54 AM) *

John, glad you found your motor now the fun begins, if you want help putting lights in your garage let me know, then you can give me a hand when I get ready to do my seat upholstery. beerchug.gif
Probably see you on the 27th if you make it.

Jeff
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Aug 12 2011, 04:56 PM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Aug 9 2011, 09:51 PM)

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Aug 9 2011, 09:49 PM)

Ok so if I take the blk/purple away from the CD unit and connect it to the - side of the tach it should all be good?

Yep. If your tach is good.

Although, if your ignition module is a CD unit, the tach will not read correctly.

Well I ran another jumper from the - side of the coil just to see if the tach would move a bit and still nothing! It didn't die but I figured it would at least jump a bit confused24.gif .

I think it is the wrong tach or it is bad!

Send it to Palo Alto Speedometer to have it rebuilt. Most likely a bad capacitor from sitting 10 years!
Jeffs9146
Send it to Palo Alto Speedometer to have it rebuilt.

Thats what Lennie said! I do think it is bad so either I buy another or fix this one! blink.gif

Mike Bellis
Send it and have restored too. It will be better than new.
Jeffs9146
Tach problem is solved!! piratenanner.gif

I decided to do a bit more research on the tach and found that the part number was for a 2.7L and would not work with the 3.0L!! blink.gif

So, I bought the proper tach and it fired up and worked!! beerchug.gif
JStroud
Glad to hear it's coming together, if you get it drivable you should drive it out to the Sacramento Porsche family reunion on the 27th.

Jeff
Jeffs9146
I would love to try to make it to the Sac event but the cooler may not be here until Fri. I am going to my High School Reunion this weekend so I won't get much time to work on it!!

We will see! beerchug.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Aug 16 2011, 07:06 PM) *

I would love to try to make it to the Sac event but the cooler may not be here until Fri. I am going to my High School Reunion this weekend so I won't get much time to work on it!!

We will see! beerchug.gif

Ride with Lennie. We are meeting at the McDonalds by the Antioch bridge at 7:30am for the caravan to Sacramento. Then BBQ to send Rob off to Reno in style.
Lennies914
Good news on the tach!

Sorry was out of town for the weekend.
AZ914
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Aug 16 2011, 04:02 PM) *

Tach problem is solved!! piratenanner.gif

I decided to do a bit more research on the tach and found that the part number was for a 2.7L and would not work with the 3.0L!! blink.gif

So, I bought the proper tach and it fired up and worked!! beerchug.gif

piratenanner.gif aktion035.gif
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Aug 16 2011, 07:59 PM) *

Good news on the tach!

Sorry was out of town for the weekend.

Don't worry Lennie, the Sac breakfast is not until the 27th!! blink.gif
Lennies914
Windshield?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Aug 16 2011, 09:20 PM) *

Windshield?

Goggles? evilgrin.gif
Jeffs9146
yea, I called him again but he must be beer3.gif !?
SirAndy
Is it running yet? How about now? driving.gif
jeeperjohn56
Jeff, How did you find out what your Tach will run with what motor, I thought any tach from a 911 would work. Dose it go by year to what motor its for, I bought a whloe set from MarkB but don't know what year they came out of. can you have them re-done to work with what you need? John
Jeffs9146
There is a very small part number on the inside rim lip of the face that will corispond to the year and motor!

I did have a conversation with Palo Alto Speedomiter and they said they could put the proper board in any tach but it was $250 ish by the time it was done. I bought the proper tach for $150.
jeeperjohn56
Where do you get the coresponding number's for each tach to each motor. John
Jeffs9146
Pelican Parts Has the Part Numbers

Or you can look at the date code on the back and see if it matches the year range of your motor!

The part number for 911's starts with 911 and 914's start with 914!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.