Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 930 Trans
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wallys914
I have been looking to purchase a 930 for my v8 conversion for a while, I know it will be pricey but it will come with the strength and longevity that will be needed for the power I want to put down.

These are the specs, anyone want to chime in? This should be the right type, right? What would be a reasonable price considering I will have to tear it down flip the R&P and other modifications? ( besides FREE)

Per owner:

The transaxle was purchased from a Porsche Transmission shop in LA, They completely went through it and it has not been used since.

930 (LATE-LONG BELL) TRANSMISSION SPECIFICATION
• Type: 930Original equipment for: Porsche 3.3L 930, 911 Turbo 78-88
• Description: 4 speed manual transaxle, std H pattern
• Limited Slip Differential
• Weight (approx): 117lbs
• Speedometer: electric/hall sensor
• 1st gear: 2.25
• 2nd gear: 1.304
• 3rd gear: 0.893
• 4th gear: 0.625
Mike Bellis
I think you want a short bellhousing or you will have to machine it down. The R/P cannot be flipped in a 930. The entire tranny needs to be flipped and then oil hoses need to be machined into the sides/bottom for the oil to move around.
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jul 2 2011, 04:31 PM) *

I think you want a short bellhousing or you will have to machine it down. The R/P cannot be flipped in a 930. The entire tranny needs to be flipped and then oil hoses need to be machined into the sides/bottom for the oil to move around.

Half right you do want the early short bellhousing 930.
The ring gear can be flipped with a little machine work. I was qouted $300 for the machine work for the ring gear and shorting the bell housing of a late to early length 930 transaxle

Bob
wallys914
So it could work with some mods... I can live with that.

I may go check it out then...
Dr Evil
How reputable is the seller? I hear EVERY damn one is "rebuilt" rolleyes.gif I was trying to score some at the Hershey swap and everyone wanted way to much. If there is gasket sealant poking out of it anywhere, it was "rebuilt" buy someone who didnt know what they were doing, fyi.

I have a 930 that I would gladly sell. It is already apart and might need a few incidental pieces.....but I am sick of looking at it dry.gif
jimkelly
check this out.

http://home.earthlink.net/~adbuch/id45.html

i heard the machining typically runs about $1000-$1500 - $300 would be a great cost for this.

you can run it flipped but it would be closer to the ground as desert hybrids has theirs in above link.

if you are running fat sticky rubber - then you might need the strenght - but if you are running a narrow body with street rubber - maybe not.

jim
wallys914
So hypothetically I could run this the way it is of course with the proper cabling... and machining from long to short bell housing.... Hmmmm... I'm getting more and more interested... paint and engine work may go out the door just to get my hands on this trans...

I am running a 245/50/15 in the rear now; and want to get to a 275... if possible...
stewteral
[quote name='wallys914' date='Jul 2 2011, 12:48 PM' post='1503463']
I have been looking to purchase a 930 for my v8 conversion for a while, I know it will be pricey but it will come with the strength and longevity that will be needed for the power I want to put down.

These are the specs, anyone want to chime in? This should be the right type, right? What would be a reasonable price considering I will have to tear it down flip the R&P and other modifications? ( besides FREE)

Per owner:

The transaxle was purchased from a Porsche Transmission shop in LA, They completely went through it and it has not been used since.

930 (LATE-LONG BELL) TRANSMISSION SPECIFICATION
• Type: 930Original equipment for: Porsche 3.3L 930, 911 Turbo 78-88
• Description: 4 speed manual transaxle, std H pattern
• Limited Slip Differential
• Weight (approx): 117lbs
• Speedometer: electric/hall sensor
• 1st gear: 2.25
• 2nd gear: 1.304
• 3rd gear: 0.893
• 4th gear: 0.625

Hey wallys914,

I hope I can clear some of he confusion on the 930 trans. I'm running a '78 930 in my 914V8 for some 8 years, on-track! The trans is BULLET PROOF! When I took it apart I was amazed to see a 9.5" Ring gear and gears that were HUGE...I though I was looking at a Muncie 4-spd!

What I learned (the hard way) is that EARLY 930's have enough room to flip the ring gear, given that the side of the case is CUT out and then recreated by lots of TIG welding of Aluminum. My concern here is that all this work will weaken the strenght of the cast case!

For my '78,it could NOT to the ring-gear flip, so I flipped the whole trans over, re-layed out 3 bolt holes (thus maintaining the alignment with the crank of the Chevy with 1 bolt. To operate the clutch, if you go BIG on power (i'm running a 383 @ ~~ 500HP) then look the the SLICK Wilwood PULLING slave cylinder and Wilwood clutch pedal & master cylinder assy. With a heavy clutch for BIG power, you MUST go Hydraulic as cable will just bend all the mounting brackets (been there & DONE that).

As I said, I've run the car for 8+ years with NO other changes to the box, so I don't know what the "plumbing extra tubes is about." I started out with an exteranal cooler with pump, but found that oil temps on reached 150 degrees F.
When I removed all the unneeded hardware, the trans oil only went up 25 degrees! NO Worries!

The final issue is the PATHETIC GEAR RATIOS of the standard 930! I've run the Big Track at Willow Springs, CA and when coming off T-9, heading uphill on the long front straight, when I shifted to 4th, I thought I'd dropped an anchor! Currently I'm running Streets of Willow Springs which is lower top speed and very technical. On ' Streets, I hit 105 MPH at the end to the front straight in 3rd @ 5000 RPM and then use ONLY 2nd & 3rd for the rest of the track!....So for 'Streets, the whole track is 2nd & 3rd and gearing is fine.

I have researched replacement gear ratios, but since they cost about $1000 per set, I PASSED! A GREAT solution would the a G-50 Porsche trans, HOWEVER, at about 6" LONGER than the 930, it would actually stick out 4-5" BEHIND the rear bumper!! this could only be acceptable with a "Crash Structure" built out from the rear of the car for protection.

So, I don't know if I've helped, but in giving you the TRUTH on the issue, will allow you to make a better decision.

Ask me questions if you would like,

Terry
wallys914
Any pics of a 930 installed, and the issues that may come with the install?
matthepcat
I was running 265/50/15 in the rear with a 901 and a 350.

No problems running in the car for 10+ years.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.