Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smells Like Gas
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
schweggy
I noticed that the car is stinking up the garage with gasoline fumes. Happens when the ignition is turned to the "acc" position and the electronics are on as well as when it's been run.

What can cause this and how can I fix it?

TIA
nebreitling
fuel leak. replaced all fuel lines with high-pressure metric line. PLEASE don't run the car until you've replaced them.

also don't forget the lines under the tank. check the condition of the hard lines through the center tunnel. replace if needed.

p.s. take the battery out of the car before you start this project.
RocknRollFrenzy
agree.gif Did this in my car not too long ago. Be sure to check the short little hoses that run to your injectors (assuming that you still have fuel injection).
Joe Bob
Don't forget the hoses under the fuel tank...prolly older than you are....
Chris H.
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Jun 20 2004, 07:05 PM)
PLEASE don't run the car until you've replaced them.

Amen to that. I can't find the shot of the 914 fully engulfed in flames, but this one should give you an idea of what can happen in about 30 seconds or so....
scotty
This one? IPB Image

Jeff Bowlsby keeps all kinds of arcane shots ...here are the \"collectibles\" (I contributed the last fire shot -- not my car!)

Has it been hot there? If your tank is vented to the air...maybe that's the cause. It's probably those lines hidden under the fuel tank though
Chris H.
Yep. That would be it.
schweggy
Well it sounds like I'll be checking and replacing some fuel lines.

Just to clarify... there is no gas leaking anywhere I can see. The odor goes away after an hour or so, but it is fairly strong when the car it put back in the garage.

Any suggestions on where to get some replacement lines?

I really don't like the flames... bad experience with a lighter and some baked beans.
iamchappy
I too have the dreaded gas vapor problem, I think that it is coming from the gas cap, over the years I think the seals dry up , I know there are no leaks anywhere ( Ive checked over it a million times) and all my fuel lines are new. If you find the answer let us know.
jim912928
replace all the rubber fuel lines (up front and the engine bay). I found mine in the front (have a 75 so the filter and pump are up there under the tank) were soaking through..not enough to drip but enough to saturate the hoses so if you grabbed them they were wet.

There is a good diagram for all fuel lines on the pelican sight (with lengths and diameters). I then ordered everything from pelican. It only took an afternoon to replace them all.

They are probably old! Replace them all!
SirAndy
QUOTE(schweggy @ Jun 20 2004, 07:57 PM)
Just to clarify... there is no gas leaking anywhere I can see. The odor goes away after an hour or so, but it is fairly strong when the car it put back in the garage.

i had a fuel line leaking right at the fuel filter (in the back, next to the fuel pump).
not enough to create a puddle under the car, but enough to wet up the whole area around the fuel pump.
i could smell it but not really see it.

agree.gif it's a disaster waiting to happen ...

check all fuel lines and if in doubt *replace*
smash.gif Andy
lmcchesney
Working from what can cause personal injury to what just causes displeasure.
If you have not replaced the lines, that will be the first step, because, even if they are not the cause of the fuel smell, they are still 30 years old.
The PP site has a tech article on replacement. Pretty stright forward process. Most use 3/8 and 5/16 steel fuel/brake lines from your FLAPS. They run about $4 each. Drain the tank by removing the spark plug wire from your coil. Disconnect the feed line to the engine compartment and add some of your new high pressure fuel injection line(FLAPS about $1/ft) to the feed line and direct it into the gas can. Turn the key on and empty the tank. Pull tank and clean. Remove carpet and remove inspection plate at the front and rear of centeral tunnel. I pass a stiff wire through the lines in the centeral tunnel to act as a guide. Remove old lines. Bend the forward end of the new steel lines about 30-45° and pass over the guide wires into the front gas tank compartment. The rest is just plan plumbing.
L. McC
scotty
The odor goes away after an hour or so, but it is fairly strong when the car it put back in the garage.

Maybe a leaking injector?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.