Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A bit of advise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ILM914
Hey fellow 914ers: Can anyone tell me if a 914 can be outfitted with cruize control, and if so what is the best brand and unit to purchase? Thank you. Also has anyone figured out how to rig it so one can swivel the visors away from the windshield and use the for the side windows? Thanks oh and what is the best replacement windshield to get? Thanks everyone for the help. Joe
VaccaRabite
You can rig a hand throttle, but I don't know of any OTS cruise controls for the 914.

Zach
Dave_Darling
There are aftermarket universal cruise controls. I haven't seen one installed on a 914, but I can't think of why they wouldn't work. Might require a fair bit of fabrication, though.

There was a kit made a number of years ago to install swivel sun visors in a 914. One came on my 2.0, and we've seen pics on the board of at least one other. The middle mount is replaced by a doubled peg with a notch that the visor pivot fits into. The outer mount is replaced by a two-piece deal that is two short fat cylinders. The lower one has a hole in the side that the outboard visor pivot is pressed into. The lower cylinder rotates on the mounting screw, allowing the visor to pivot to the outside.

Sorry, no pics at this point.

--DD
Mike Bellis
The universal units will work but you will need to add switches on both the clutch and brake pedals for safety.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jul 7 2011, 01:13 AM) *

The universal units will work but you will need to add switches on both the clutch and brake pedals for safety.

I had a Dana unit that was dealer-installed on my Jetta GLI and I transferred to the ur-GTI when I transplanted the GLI engine there.

That one had a vacuum servo as most do, and it was pretty painless. There are units with electric servo.

Agree on the brake switch, which is easy since you're tapping an existing line. My unit did not require a clutch switch - it had a 'load-shedding / overspeed' circuit that would kill the cruise-control effect at 200-ish rpm over the setpoint. Worked fine. You could plunge the clutch or pop the shifter into neutral, see a little uptick on the tach, and it'd cut out.

Used an inductive pickup over a spark plug wire (like a timing light) and sensed rpm rather than true roadspeed. No complaints. Can't have been very expensive.
TargaToy
Yes, you can add cruise control to anything. A friend of mine added an aftermarket car CC setup to his 1984 Honda Sabre.
ILM914
thanks everone - so any idea where i can het those visor mounts?

QUOTE(TargaToy @ Jul 7 2011, 06:16 PM) *

Yes, you can add cruise control to anything. A friend of mine added an aftermarket car CC setup to his 1984 Honda Sabre.

BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Oh Crap !!!!!!!!! I finally get a post that I have 1 st. hand Experance with..

BUT , I sold it a month ago to a guy in S.C. ( Bill chime in please) along with

the 914 went all the paper work about ,what brand, installation directions.

I was real easy, and the Cats Ass to have, set it and forget it. It had all the

safety tyhings you would expect. I mounted the switch in the hole for the rear

window defroster. If I replace that 914 , I will install that 1st thing.

Dave slap.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Jul 10 2011, 09:50 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

Dave slap.gif

Dave did install cruise control on his car! I have only used it once; however, it works great! I will post brand and such later tonight.
ILM914
Thanks guys any word on that cruize control brand or where i can get visor mounts that swivel? thanks, Joe

a
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Jul 10 2011, 05:50 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

Dave slap.gif

ArtechnikA
QUOTE(ILM914 @ Jul 21 2011, 06:53 PM) *

Thanks guys any word on that cruize control brand

Search on 'Dana cruise control' and you'll be on your way.
ILM914
Thank you much, Joe

QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jul 21 2011, 05:07 PM) *

QUOTE(ILM914 @ Jul 21 2011, 06:53 PM) *

Thanks guys any word on that cruize control brand

Search on 'Dana cruise control' and you'll be on your way.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.